Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Changing home of record?

Posted by   + Show Post
Can this be done? Dh's S1 shop says they can't change his home of record but I've *heard* it can be. Has anyone here actually done it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 4, 2012 at 1:35 PM
Replies (21-28):
jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on May. 4, 2012 at 7:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Home of Record can NOT be changed...  Let me take that back - it can be changed if there is a break in service.  ie - he gets out and goes back in again.  NOT as a reenlistment.  Also it can only be changed if there was an error when it was originally established.

Home of record shows WHERE the service member was at the time of enlistment. 

Quoting momtimesx4:

It can be done but the easiest way to prove that you intend to stay at X place is to obtain a new drivers license for the state that you wish to switch to. 

Check out the self-help section at legal for the forms.

gunsgirl
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2012 at 9:28 AM

HOR - is the place the member enlisted- HOR cannot be changed unless there is a break in service.

state of residence can be changed as long as you show proof of residency.

when ETSing they will pay the equal distance from the last duty station to the HOR.

For retirement they will pay regardless of where you want to go - except overseas .

momtimesx4
by Member on May. 5, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Oh yeah, I was thinking about changing your state of legal residence and not home of record. 

Most people change their state to one where they plan on retiring/ETS'ing to or to switch to a state that does not have a state income tax.

As others said above, changing home of record is hard to do (see AR 600-8-104, table 5-2, item 25 and AR 601-280, Para 11-10(2) and table 11-1, item 3.)

gatorswife1401
by Member on May. 5, 2012 at 12:37 PM

my dh has done it twice. Once when we moved to ny and once when we moved back to va. As far as I know it was an easy process he just went to his unit and as far as i know they took care of it for him. but my dh is in the reserves so it might be different if yours is AD

Tish_Hughes
by on May. 6, 2012 at 2:23 PM
Not sure.....when I got out, my hor was Oklahoma but The army moved and flew me to Houston.

Quoting xxlilmomma09:

No; that is based off the home of record. They will only move you as far as HOR.

My husband's HOR is California. However, when he gets out in a few months, the Army will be moving us to Louisiana because it is closer to Fort Hood, TX

Quoting Aqua_Jen:

So... If he fills out that form and changes his legal residency, is that where the Army will move him after he ets's?

Quoting xxlilmomma09:

You can not change home of record, unless there is a break of service or error.

The service member can change legal residency by filling out DD Form 2058, as long as certain requirements are met.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momtimesx4
by Member on May. 6, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Quoting Tish_Hughes:

Not sure.....when I got out, my hor was Oklahoma but The army moved and flew me to Houston.

They will move you wherever, they prefer your HOR but if you want to move further from that, you will have to pay the difference.  Which is why many will do a DITY move on their last move as they just get paid for the weight moved.  I've known some that load up their crap, get a certified weight ticket, then drive on over to goodwill and drop off the bulk of their items, continue on to final destination with 1/3 of what they had.

After a few military movers crap starts falling apart and it is easier to just dump it and start over in many cases.

Tish_Hughes
by on May. 6, 2012 at 5:25 PM
If I paid anything, they took it out of my final pay cause I didn't pay anything (as far as I know).

Quoting momtimesx4:

Quoting Tish_Hughes:

They will move you wherever, they prefer your HOR but if you want to move further from that, you will have to pay the difference.  Which is why many will do a DITY move on their last move as they just get paid for the weight moved.  I've known some that load up their crap, get a certified weight ticket, then drive on over to goodwill and drop off the bulk of their items, continue on to final destination with 1/3 of what they had.

After a few military movers crap starts falling apart and it is easier to just dump it and start over in many cases.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momtimesx4
by Member on May. 6, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Quoting Tish_Hughes:

If I paid anything, they took it out of my final pay cause I didn't pay anything (as far as I know).

Distance wise it was probably the same or fell under the mileage limit from where you left active duty.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)