Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Flying to PDS

Posted by on May. 5, 2012 at 3:33 PM
  • 8 Replies

So we've been leasing one of my aunt's cars for the past year. When my husband gets stationed somewhere, we can't take that car with us. Will the military pay for us to fly to the first PDS? We'd obviously get a car once we got there. 

by on May. 5, 2012 at 3:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
momtimesx4
by Member on May. 5, 2012 at 5:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes.

Depends on the distance.  Plane, train or bus ticket.  Might be easier to get a car now than wait to get to the duty station and make the mistake of stumbling into one of those "Military Car Sales" places right outside the main gate and getting ass raped on a car that has been bought/sold more times than Tiffany Amber when she needed the monies.

So why can't you take the car you have now with you?

Maddies_mom101
by on May. 5, 2012 at 5:20 PM
LMAO I love this

Quoting momtimesx4:

Yes.

Depends on the distance.  Plane, train or bus ticket.  Might be easier to get a car now than wait to get to the duty station and make the mistake of stumbling into one of those "Military Car Sales" places right outside the main gate and getting ass raped on a car that has been bought/sold more times than Tiffany Amber when she needed the monies.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ac10
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Lol. Thanks! It's not our car. We are "renting" it from my aunt while husband is in training. We expected him to be done a lonnnnng time ago. But...that's the military I guess. :) I would rather fly if he gets stationed in California. It's on the other side of the country for us. Would they reimburse us or how would that work?

Quoting momtimesx4:

Yes.

barrelracer1699
by Chel on May. 5, 2012 at 6:01 PM

I have no idea GL I'm sure someone has some answers for you on here!

violinjewel
by Julia on May. 5, 2012 at 6:08 PM
Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momtimesx4
by Member on May. 5, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Quoting ac10:

Lol. Thanks! It's not our car. We are "renting" it from my aunt while husband is in training. We expected him to be done a lonnnnng time ago. But...that's the military I guess. :) I would rather fly if he gets stationed in California. It's on the other side of the country for us. Would they reimburse us or how would that work?

OK...when DH graduates from training, they will cut his orders to wherever they are sending him.  If California, they will ask him how he wants to get there and he can request plane tickets.  The government will book plane tickets from the airport near your home of record to his next duty station with no cost to you, other than the taxi ride to and from the airport, which DH can claim reimbursement for when he files his travel voucher at his new PDS.

Now flying is faster but you lose out on travel days to get there.   Travel days = free leave. 

Also, if you choose to drive in stead of fly, you will be given MALT money, aka mileage in lieu of transportation, right now at .23 cents per mile per vehicle.  While driving and using travel days, you are given a daily per diem to cover hotel/food/gas/etc, about $123 a day and have a chance to see the country.

We just drove down from Washington state to Texas and drove. We were given 7 days to get there and made it in 5 including stopping by a couple of national parks along the way.

Have your DH ask about and request PTDY leave (Permissive Temporary Duty Leave), basically up to 10 days of free leave for house hunting purposes.  More free leave and money.

aplus6
by on May. 5, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Quoting momtimesx4:

Quoting ac10:

OK...when DH graduates from training, they will cut his orders to wherever they are sending him.  If California, they will ask him how he wants to get there and he can request plane tickets.  The government will book plane tickets from the airport near your home of record to his next duty station with no cost to you, other than the taxi ride to and from the airport, which DH can claim reimbursement for when he files his travel voucher at his new PDS.

Now flying is faster but you lose out on travel days to get there.   Travel days = free leave. 

Also, if you choose to drive in stead of fly, you will be given MALT money, aka mileage in lieu of transportation, right now at .23 cents per mile per vehicle.  While driving and using travel days, you are given a daily per diem to cover hotel/food/gas/etc, about $123 a day and have a chance to see the country.

We just drove down from Washington state to Texas and drove. We were given 7 days to get there and made it in 5 including stopping by a couple of national parks along the way.

Have your DH ask about and request PTDY leave (Permissive Temporary Duty Leave), basically up to 10 days of free leave for house hunting purposes.  More free leave and money.

Yup, exactly what she said!

Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
gunsgirl
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2012 at 9:46 AM

sonce you do not own a car- they will pay for you to fly- your DH will need to set up the travel with SATO you cannot buy your own tickets.

they will also reimburse for taxi or shuttle service to where you will stay-

if you flight is less than 8 hours you will get a small meals portion of the per diem ( about 25 dollars per person to help pay for food while you travel)

but you only get MALT when you drive a POV ( personal owned vehicle) you cannot get MALT in someone elses car or a rental.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)