Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

DH told me today that he has been selected to go to DS school. He doesnt know much yet but should soon. Im wondering what I should expect. I know its 13 weeks and from what I heard it'll be a lot like BCT all over again but I still wanna know more. My biggest concerns right now are where were going to get stationed for this and how much time (if any) he'll get to see us or at least call home.

Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
by on May. 5, 2012 at 10:05 PM
Replies (11-18):
aplus6
by on May. 8, 2012 at 9:02 PM

LOL thanks! I can imagine it being hard to go from CO to SC. Im in NY now and its like night and day from FL. Im sure I'll think of 10,000 other questions to ask before we have to head down there LOL

Quoting LuvMyBoy08:

Yeah, you probably wont mind SC too much since FL has pretty much the same weather and bugs....lol. Im from CO, so moving to SC was like night and day for me. Good luck, if you have any other questions just let me know!

Quoting aplus6:

Alright, thanks! I dont think I'll mind being in SC since I'll be a lot closer to family (Im originally from FL) but guess I'll just have to do my best with DH working so much. It'll be hard explaining to my youngest 3 why Daddy leaves for work before theyre up and isnt home until after they go to bed (all 3 are in bed between 8 and 9 since theyre 4,4 and 2). This info definitely helps me to prepare for whats coming our way. I pretty much know I'll be working sick call as long as DH is still a DS because that was the only place I ever saw 68Ws when I was going through BCT. 

Quoting LuvMyBoy08:

Well, according to my dh, being a drill sgt is worse than going through BCT. They are there depending on what phase it is at 3-4am and home at 9-10pm, 7 days a week for 10 weeks straight. Each phase gets a tiny bit easier, but not by much. Every cycle he'll be in the field for at least a week for various trainings. On call 24-7, and there are 24hr CQ duty as well that usually all the DS's will rotate. My husband worked 20hr days during red phase, then 18 on white phase, and 16 on blue. But it all depends on if everyone works as a team. The DS's have to be very careful....every cycle there are always the girls who flirt or want to get they're drill sgt in trouble. My husband saw it first hand with a couple DS's he knew. VERY stressed filled job, very exhausting. My husband told me he would have rather been deployed.

As far as fort Jackson, you just have to make the best of it. The post is not bad, but I personally couldn't stand SC.

Quoting aplus6:

I have so many questions Im not even sure where to start or how to put them into words! All I know right now is that DH was selected to go to DS school and we have to move to Fort Jackson for his training. I am clueless as to what to expect once we get down there and the whole time hes training. When I was in BCT we were always told that going through DS school is like going through BCT as a SGT and being yelled at by a bunch of E-5s and E-6s but other then that I know nothing cause Ive never felt the urge to be a DS.

Quoting LuvMyBoy08:

My husband was a drill sgt for 3 years at fort Jackson SC. If you have any questions let me know!!

Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
SweetKaos_Samii
by on May. 11, 2012 at 2:03 PM

My husband is currently a Drill Sergeant.. I have learned ALOT by being involved. I know that while they are in school to be a DS they are able to call you every night. They have certain things they have to do in order to pass school. It was 2 months away from home but it wasn't that bad. The  Family Can not MOVE with the soldier while they are in Drill School..  But soon after you will be stationed somewhere. It is generally where they went to AIT at.. My husband was at Ft Sill for AIT and that is where we are stationed while he is on the Trail..   It is alot of long hours, 7 days a week and they are very tired but you can make it work:)

If any one has questions feel free to ask me..  We have been on the trail for 3 years and still are currently . I am a very involved spouse :)

aplus6
by on May. 11, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Thanks! I didnt realize that family doesnt go with them. Ive been a miltary SO for 11 years and in the military for 8 years and I still learn new things about the military life all the time. DH also went to AIT at Fort Sill and thats where I went for BCT so knowing a bit about what to expect Im not sure how I would feel about being stationed there.

Quoting SweetKaos_Samii:

My husband is currently a Drill Sergeant.. I have learned ALOT by being involved. I know that while they are in school to be a DS they are able to call you every night. They have certain things they have to do in order to pass school. It was 2 months away from home but it wasn't that bad. The  Family Can not MOVE with the soldier while they are in Drill School..  But soon after you will be stationed somewhere. It is generally where they went to AIT at.. My husband was at Ft Sill for AIT and that is where we are stationed while he is on the Trail..   It is alot of long hours, 7 days a week and they are very tired but you can make it work:)

If any one has questions feel free to ask me..  We have been on the trail for 3 years and still are currently . I am a very involved spouse :)

SweetKaos_Samii
by on May. 12, 2012 at 1:20 PM

With Drill School it is only about 2 months roughly.. I remember my hubby came back in November and left in September :) I was just glad when school was over because we were in the stages of getting ready to move as well when he came home.. They didn't give us more than 45 days to get everything inorder..   It was tough but we got it done... 

Oklahoma is a bit different now :) We are still here and can't wait to leave lol.. I think 3 years in one place is long enough for me :) especially here.. The best part is that while they are a Drill Sergeant and the Hours are long and work 7 days a week some times, the Cycle breaks are great.. You can usually get 4-6 weeks inbetween cycles.. Sometimes WAY LESS OR MORE.. It depends on schedules..  Like Now, my DH just got finished with a class and they pick up again the end of June :)    Also the assignment of Drill Sergeant is only 2 years :)  

If you come to sill let me know what unit you will be assignded to.. 

usmclife58
by Nikki on May. 12, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Bump

aplus6
by on May. 12, 2012 at 11:37 PM

I will try to remember to let you know if we end up going to Sill, if you happen to see something about DH finishing school and I dont mention where were being stationed then just ask. I am going to laugh hysterically if he gets assigned to the unit either one of us was in for BCT. I was only there for BCT then went to Ft Sam Houston for AIT but lucky him got to spend all 14 weeks of his training at Ft Sill. 

Quoting SweetKaos_Samii:

With Drill School it is only about 2 months roughly.. I remember my hubby came back in November and left in September :) I was just glad when school was over because we were in the stages of getting ready to move as well when he came home.. They didn't give us more than 45 days to get everything inorder..   It was tough but we got it done... 

Oklahoma is a bit different now :) We are still here and can't wait to leave lol.. I think 3 years in one place is long enough for me :) especially here.. The best part is that while they are a Drill Sergeant and the Hours are long and work 7 days a week some times, the Cycle breaks are great.. You can usually get 4-6 weeks inbetween cycles.. Sometimes WAY LESS OR MORE.. It depends on schedules..  Like Now, my DH just got finished with a class and they pick up again the end of June :)    Also the assignment of Drill Sergeant is only 2 years :)  

If you come to sill let me know what unit you will be assignded to.. 

SweetKaos_Samii
by on May. 22, 2012 at 11:36 AM

You should have orders shortly after him finishing school. You can Check his AKO ( under the ASK - Assignment Statifaction Key ) for place and a report date!

aplus6
by on May. 22, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Yeah, I'll be checking both our AKO accounts for new orders once he finishes school. Since I've been in (had kids before marriage) the Army has been really good about stationing us in the same place. We usually get our orders at about the same time.

Quoting SweetKaos_Samii:

You should have orders shortly after him finishing school. You can Check his AKO ( under the ASK - Assignment Statifaction Key ) for place and a report date!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)