Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

i'm sure i'll be insulted for this somehow but i have to ask....

Posted by on May. 6, 2012 at 1:50 AM
  • 132 Replies

DH has been getting paid 2 ranks below his actual one for about 8 months.  In the past few months, his car needed some kind of repair that was going to cost a few hundred bucks.... he was driving mine for the majority of the time unless i needed to take the kids to the dr or something like that to kind of try to make it hold out (we're budgeted pretty tightly right now because of this) until the backpay, and right before it came in he had to take it one day and it blew.... repair is going to cost over $3000.   If he had been getting the proper pay we could have taken care of the car earlier.  I guess it was stupid of us but we paid all of our debt off with savings and just didn't anticipate a problem like this in the few months we would take to rebuild it.  I was venting about it to a friend of mine who is in the military, and she was saying something about how he should talk to his 1SG because they usually help out with stuff like this and helping him get in touch with "the people he needed to in order to get this fixed".  and she also said finance is only supposed to be allowed 30 days to fix something like this.  i know we probably just have to take it, but it'd be nice to know if she meant something by that.  she had to leave to go get her husband shortly after she said that.... so i didn't really have a chance to ask.  we don't have the money sitting around to fix his car and i'm supposed to be starting a job soon hopefully.... which obviously would help pay, but not if we don't have 2 cars.  ugh!

by on May. 6, 2012 at 1:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
betsyfaith
by on May. 6, 2012 at 3:36 AM
I would think the only way they could help would be if you get an AER
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
betsyfaith
by on May. 6, 2012 at 3:36 AM
1 mom liked this
AER loan
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
grlygrlz2
by on May. 6, 2012 at 4:54 AM
Yes, His 1st sgt could have helped get in touch with the appropriate resources.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jdabcoth
by on May. 6, 2012 at 6:55 AM

hmm sounds to me like ya'll need to do something about it. and as for the car, get a newer used on bc it is not worth fixing. mine i have spent a thousand on recntly just for the parts. thankfully my fiance works on it when he can. but his truck is about to go out also. it sucks to be in this situation. but i thought the military was supposed to be more help for these problems.

SierraLynn
by Just Me on May. 6, 2012 at 7:19 AM
All his 1st sgt would do is get set up with am AER loan, and you don't want that, unless its 100% unavoidable. But you have a second vehicle, so I wouldn't do it.
I would also scrap that car for whatever its worth and just buy a newer one. $3000 on repairs will not be worth it in the long run.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dani_Lynn
by on May. 6, 2012 at 8:35 AM
1 mom liked this
How is it the military's fault your vehicle is a POS and you don't have the money to fix it? If your SO worked at Walmart, would you expect them to help you find money to fix it?

Quoting jdabcoth:

hmm sounds to me like ya'll need to do something about it. and as for the car, get a newer used on bc it is not worth fixing. mine i have spent a thousand on recntly just for the parts. thankfully my fiance works on it when he can. but his truck is about to go out also. it sucks to be in this situation. but i thought the military was supposed to be more help for these problems.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dani_Lynn
by on May. 6, 2012 at 8:40 AM
I would inquire about the AER loan and have him get that pay corrected, stat! Two ranks lower for 8 months?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on May. 6, 2012 at 9:10 AM

This...

Honestly, the AER loan might come back and bite him in the ass down the road - especially if he makes the military a career.  For example - there are certain bases that require a higher security clearance as he makes rank.  He might be passed over because of it.  Failure to manage finances.  Regardless if it was technically their fault to begin with.

And if you need to spend THAT much money for repairs...unless it's a classic car - get rid of it.  It would be better if you just got a loan for a newer car with a warranty...

Quoting SierraLynn:

All his 1st sgt would do is get set up with am AER loan, and you don't want that, unless its 100% unavoidable. But you have a second vehicle, so I wouldn't do it.
I would also scrap that car for whatever its worth and just buy a newer one. $3000 on repairs will not be worth it in the long run.

mom2jessnky
by Dedi on May. 6, 2012 at 9:10 AM
1 mom liked this

Dude, 8 months with pay 2 ranks lower? I would have had a shit fit after the first pay being wrong, not even the first month. That is a HUGE mistake. How and WHY have you sat on this for so long?

As for the car you can get some kind of loan for that. In the Marines/Navy it's the Navy Marine Corps Relief, not sure what the Army calls it. We had to use it once. Back in the days of po' white trash, my T-bird needed a $2000 repair and we used the NMCRS for a loan to fix it.

Depending on the car and what's wrong with it, buying another car may or may not be a good idea. I had a 96 T-Bird, a $2000 fix made it essentially a new car again (it's still alive and kicking, just not with me). $2000 would have bought me something sure but it likely would have needed another $2000 to fix any issues. My dad always says whatever you pay for a used car you need to be prepared to pay again to fix it. And even buying a gently used car is no guarantee. My last car (before the one I have now) was an 09, bought in 2010, 6 months ago it developed a leak in the rear radiator (or something I didn't know what my mechanic was talking about), then the tail gate broke, then it got another coolant leak, then a seat belt in the 3rd row broke and THEN I found out that I was lied to about my warranty so all that crap was on me if I wanted to fix it (which really shouldn't have shocked me but it did). I took that bitch out to pasture and got a new car. And I'm never buying a Ford or a GM again (I wouldn't buy a Dodge if you paid me). Sorry America, I like Japanese cars.

sailorwifenmom
by on May. 6, 2012 at 11:55 AM
1 mom liked this
Needing the loan one time for an emergency car repair because your pay is screwed up isn't going to cost you a clearance. I know lots of people with clearances that have gotten a loan from their branch relief society. The problem is making a habit of it, not paying it back, etc.

I agree though - your bigger problem is not being paid at the correct paygeade - ESPECIALLY for that long and TWO paygrades wrong! You need to grit that fixed ASAP. The military is not going to "notice and fix it" if you don't make sure to bring it to their attention and PUSH to have it fixed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN