Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

i'm sure i'll be insulted for this somehow but i have to ask....

Posted by   + Show Post

DH has been getting paid 2 ranks below his actual one for about 8 months.  In the past few months, his car needed some kind of repair that was going to cost a few hundred bucks.... he was driving mine for the majority of the time unless i needed to take the kids to the dr or something like that to kind of try to make it hold out (we're budgeted pretty tightly right now because of this) until the backpay, and right before it came in he had to take it one day and it blew.... repair is going to cost over $3000.   If he had been getting the proper pay we could have taken care of the car earlier.  I guess it was stupid of us but we paid all of our debt off with savings and just didn't anticipate a problem like this in the few months we would take to rebuild it.  I was venting about it to a friend of mine who is in the military, and she was saying something about how he should talk to his 1SG because they usually help out with stuff like this and helping him get in touch with "the people he needed to in order to get this fixed".  and she also said finance is only supposed to be allowed 30 days to fix something like this.  i know we probably just have to take it, but it'd be nice to know if she meant something by that.  she had to leave to go get her husband shortly after she said that.... so i didn't really have a chance to ask.  we don't have the money sitting around to fix his car and i'm supposed to be starting a job soon hopefully.... which obviously would help pay, but not if we don't have 2 cars.  ugh!

by on May. 6, 2012 at 1:50 AM
Replies (21-30):
chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on May. 6, 2012 at 1:51 PM
1 mom liked this
Most repair shops offer a line of credit. You could use that to get the work done then pay the bitch off with his lump sum.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrsdic
by on May. 6, 2012 at 1:53 PM
That's what I told him - he kept saying he didn't want backlash

Quoting NickLukeandEmma:

Then he should have gone to IG. He knows the proper channels, or at least he should.

Quoting mrsdic:

He's been 22 times.  With higher ups.  The people at finance flat out lied about filing the paperwork.  

Quoting NickLukeandEmma:

Why hasn't he been to finance?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Maddies_mom101
by on May. 6, 2012 at 1:55 PM

wow..... can you be any more condesending..... you are the one that came on here  acting as though the military should be paying for your husband's car repairs because   you didn't think of fixing the car before you  plum forgot about it  and used money to pay off your debt.  Hey if your husband can't get to work thats your guys fault, and its your fault that you don't know  how to prioritize money. I know you have complained about how you didn't get paid for the right rank  blah blah blah and your husband allowed it to go on for 8 months, being proactive will get you a long way , and that mean more then just going to finance once or twice.

You act as though you came in here looking for insults.... are you attempting to play the victim ?

Quoting mrsdic:

I expected to be insulted because I didn't know what I was talking about with the 1SG thing and finance, I didn't expect a response so unintelligent though lol.  It was standard repairs based on his mileage.  I can't believe you don't understand simple stuff like that... it's pretty normal.  And if his pay wasn't so low based on what he SHOULD have been making vs the crap they were paying him, we would have had the money for it.  And if he was working at walmart, he would have quit for not having the pay straightened out for 8 months.  Sorry if you had trouble understanding any of that, I thought it was pretty obvious what I was saying.  

Quoting Dani_Lynn:

How is it the military's fault your vehicle is a POS and you don't have the money to fix it? If your SO worked at Walmart, would you expect them to help you find money to fix it?

Quoting jdabcoth:

hmm sounds to me like ya'll need to do something about it. and as for the car, get a newer used on bc it is not worth fixing. mine i have spent a thousand on recntly just for the parts. thankfully my fiance works on it when he can. but his truck is about to go out also. it sucks to be in this situation. but i thought the military was supposed to be more help for these problems.

momtimesx4
by Member on May. 6, 2012 at 1:57 PM

I'd be digging my paws into the CSM's pocket looking for money.

Sometimes it takes a CSM to get shit that even a 1st Sgt can't get done.

Quoting NickLukeandEmma:

Then he should have gone to IG. He knows the proper channels, or at least he should.

Quoting mrsdic:

He's been 22 times.  With higher ups.  The people at finance flat out lied about filing the paperwork.  

Quoting NickLukeandEmma:

NickLukeandEmma
by Courtney on May. 6, 2012 at 2:00 PM

If he didn't do anything wrong there wouldn't be backlash. If there was he could go BACK to IG. What is more important? His pride or his family?

Quoting mrsdic:

That's what I told him - he kept saying he didn't want backlash

Quoting NickLukeandEmma:

Quoting mrsdic:

Quoting NickLukeandEmma:

“Here a question arises: whether it is better to be loved than feared,
or the reverse. The answer is, of course, that it would be best to be
both loved and feared. But since the two rarely come together, anyone
compelled to choose will find greater security in being feared than in
being loved.”

xxlilmomma09
by on May. 6, 2012 at 2:17 PM
It sounds like you are trying to blame the military that your car is a POS. It isn't their fault. It is yours. Even if your husband were receiving the proper pay, you probably would have still encountered the same issues. Honestly, its your husbands fault that his pay has been wrong for so long.. so if you want to blame anyone.. blame your husband.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dani_Lynn
by on May. 6, 2012 at 3:26 PM
Hey, mrsdicK, I wasn't quoting you! Nor was I the one advising you wrong on more debt and a higher payment. My response was to the person who thought "the military helped more with this stuff".

Quoting Maddies_mom101:

wow..... can you be any more condesending..... you are the one that came on here  acting as though the military should be paying for your husband's car repairs because   you didn't think of fixing the car before you  plum forgot about it  and used money to pay off your debt.  Hey if your husband can't get to work thats your guys fault, and its your fault that you don't know  how to prioritize money. I know you have complained about how you didn't get paid for the right rank  blah blah blah and your husband allowed it to go on for 8 months, being proactive will get you a long way , and that mean more then just going to finance once or twice.

You act as though you came in here looking for insults.... are you attempting to play the victim ?

Quoting mrsdic:

I expected to be insulted because I didn't know what I was talking about with the 1SG thing and finance, I didn't expect a response so unintelligent though lol.  It was standard repairs based on his mileage.  I can't believe you don't understand simple stuff like that... it's pretty normal.  And if his pay wasn't so low based on what he SHOULD have been making vs the crap they were paying him, we would have had the money for it.  And if he was working at walmart, he would have quit for not having the pay straightened out for 8 months.  Sorry if you had trouble understanding any of that, I thought it was pretty obvious what I was saying.  

Quoting Dani_Lynn:

How is it the military's fault your vehicle is a POS and you don't have the money to fix it? If your SO worked at Walmart, would you expect them to help you find money to fix it?

Quoting jdabcoth:

hmm sounds to me like ya'll need to do something about it. and as for the car, get a newer used on bc it is not worth fixing. mine i have spent a thousand on recntly just for the parts. thankfully my fiance works on it when he can. but his truck is about to go out also. it sucks to be in this situation. but i thought the military was supposed to be more help for these problems.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fantasticalmama
by on May. 6, 2012 at 4:51 PM

I don't understand how this could go on for 8 months. Each active duty member in ALL branches has the phone number to their coinciding pay center and direct admin support office. All pay accounts are " supposed" to be audited monthly.  An electronic error report would have come up in the pay system stating underpayment/reduction in rank. For him to receive pay that is two pay grades lower for 8 months would mean ALL of his personnel and pay records would reflect a reduction in rank. Did your DH have disciplinary action taken against him. Why didn't he contact the proper people to get this straightened out. It would have been corrected the following pay cycle 2-4 weeks after the initial underpayment. In regards to the loan, truly consider if it is an emergency to not have a second vehicle or just an inconvience. Those loans are for emergency's (death or severe hospitalization of a family member, not being able to feed or shelter your family). If it's not an emergency I wouldn't get it. For the security clearances, it would only effect him if the command states fiscal irresponsibility as the reason for needing the loan. If this is a clerical error, he just needs to save documentation of what happened and have it ready for supporting documentation for his clearance package and add it to the notes.  Mistakes do happen

barrelracer1699
by Chel on May. 6, 2012 at 5:14 PM

I just can't figure out why it went on for 8 months and not flipping a lid at someone about it!

mom2jessnky
by Dedi on May. 6, 2012 at 6:03 PM

She says he went to finance. ME? I would have parked my ass in S-1's (or whatever it is for the Army) Office and stayed there until my shit was fixed. Asking every 10 seconds "Is it fixed?" "Is my pay fixed?" "How about now?" I would have made the S1 guys so sick of me that my pay would never get messed up again. LOL.

Quoting barrelracer1699:

I just can't figure out why it went on for 8 months and not flipping a lid at someone about it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN