Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

i'm sure i'll be insulted for this somehow but i have to ask....

Posted by   + Show Post

DH has been getting paid 2 ranks below his actual one for about 8 months.  In the past few months, his car needed some kind of repair that was going to cost a few hundred bucks.... he was driving mine for the majority of the time unless i needed to take the kids to the dr or something like that to kind of try to make it hold out (we're budgeted pretty tightly right now because of this) until the backpay, and right before it came in he had to take it one day and it blew.... repair is going to cost over $3000.   If he had been getting the proper pay we could have taken care of the car earlier.  I guess it was stupid of us but we paid all of our debt off with savings and just didn't anticipate a problem like this in the few months we would take to rebuild it.  I was venting about it to a friend of mine who is in the military, and she was saying something about how he should talk to his 1SG because they usually help out with stuff like this and helping him get in touch with "the people he needed to in order to get this fixed".  and she also said finance is only supposed to be allowed 30 days to fix something like this.  i know we probably just have to take it, but it'd be nice to know if she meant something by that.  she had to leave to go get her husband shortly after she said that.... so i didn't really have a chance to ask.  we don't have the money sitting around to fix his car and i'm supposed to be starting a job soon hopefully.... which obviously would help pay, but not if we don't have 2 cars.  ugh!

by on May. 6, 2012 at 1:50 AM
Replies (41-50):
momtimesx4
by Member on May. 6, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Probably but since this has already become a train wreck that never should have been, figured why the hell not, plus CSM's have deep pockets and make bank.

Quoting mrsdic:

Wouldn't that be skipping up CoC though?

Quoting momtimesx4:

I'd be digging my paws into the CSM's pocket looking for money.

Sometimes it takes a CSM to get shit that even a 1st Sgt can't get done.

Quoting NickLukeandEmma:

Then he should have gone to IG. He knows the proper channels, or at least he should.

Quoting mrsdic:

He's been 22 times.  With higher ups.  The people at finance flat out lied about filing the paperwork.  

Quoting NickLukeandEmma:

Why hasn't he been to finance?

mrsdic
by on May. 6, 2012 at 8:02 PM

trainwreck for sure.  

Quoting momtimesx4:

Probably but since this has already become a train wreck that never should have been, figured why the hell not, plus CSM's have deep pockets and make bank.

Quoting mrsdic:

Quoting momtimesx4:

Quoting NickLukeandEmma:

Then he should have gone to IG. He knows the proper channels, or at least he should.

Quoting mrsdic:

He's been 22 times.  With higher ups.  The people at finance flat out lied about filing the paperwork.  

Quoting NickLukeandEmma:

xxlilmomma09
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2012 at 8:29 PM
What stupid advice. Did you really tell her to call his CSM and ask for money? Lol.

Quoting momtimesx4:

Quoting mrsdic:

Quoting momtimesx4:

Quoting NickLukeandEmma:

Quoting mrsdic:

Quoting NickLukeandEmma:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momtimesx4
by Member on May. 6, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Come on, who wouldn't want to dig into the pockets of the CSM or CG and see what is in their wallet

Quoting xxlilmomma09:

What stupid advice. Did you really tell her to call his CSM and ask for money? Lol.

xxlilmomma09
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2012 at 10:05 PM
Probably just about the same thats in your wallet. Just because someone is higher ranked doesn't mean they have money, lol. A person's quality of life generally increases as pay increases. Come on now.

In this instance, the soldier should have been more proactive with his pay. It is ultimately your own responsibility. There were other outlets that could and should have been taken. The person simply chose not to. You know the saying - 'you snooze, you lose'.

Quoting momtimesx4:

Come on, who wouldn't want to dig into the pockets of the CSM or CG and see what is in their wallet

Quoting xxlilmomma09:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mamaknowsbest26
by on May. 6, 2012 at 10:53 PM
A word to the wise. Never pay off debt with savings, until you have atleast $1,000.00 set aside for an emergency. This is the exact reason why. If it were me, I'd probably junk the car and get a new one. Or a used one with a descent warranty that isn't too expensive. I doubt I would take out a loan from the relief to fix a car. I'd rather get a personal loan from the bank before doing that, especially since you do have a second vehicle. I don't even know what to say about the pay issue. That seems like a giant cluster fuck of problems. I hope you get it situated soon.
momtimesx4
by Member on May. 6, 2012 at 11:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah, issue should have been dealth with a couple of months ago.

I'd still want to pick-pocket the Post CSM when I see him skulking around the PX trying to catch people

Quoting xxlilmomma09:

Probably just about the same thats in your wallet. Just because someone is higher ranked doesn't mean they have money, lol. A person's quality of life generally increases as pay increases. Come on now.

In this instance, the soldier should have been more proactive with his pay. It is ultimately your own responsibility. There were other outlets that could and should have been taken. The person simply chose not to. You know the saying - 'you snooze, you lose'.

Quoting momtimesx4:

Quoting xxlilmomma09:

mrsdic
by on May. 6, 2012 at 11:08 PM

thank you.  and we just got rid of all of our payments on everything, we REALLY don't want to get another car loan.... it would wind up costing less and being smarter for our "plan" long term to just keep this one.  and yeah, we definitely learned that one!  we had about $600 left at the time we paid stuff off, then this happened.  and his car was in storage during deployment... so no point in getting repairs then.  then it just kind of snowballed from there - i was getting decent pay at the time but commuting... yada yada.  it just was ugly.  

Quoting Mamaknowsbest26:

A word to the wise. Never pay off debt with savings, until you have atleast $1,000.00 set aside for an emergency. This is the exact reason why. If it were me, I'd probably junk the car and get a new one. Or a used one with a descent warranty that isn't too expensive. I doubt I would take out a loan from the relief to fix a car. I'd rather get a personal loan from the bank before doing that, especially since you do have a second vehicle. I don't even know what to say about the pay issue. That seems like a giant cluster fuck of problems. I hope you get it situated soon.

Mamaknowsbest26
by on May. 6, 2012 at 11:19 PM
2 moms liked this
Quoting mrsdic:

Yeah we did Dave Ramsey's total money makeover, debt snowball thing. Luckily we saved that $1,000.00 too because we basically started living pay check to pay check. We allocated all money brought in to go somewhere each month, therefore we had no "cushion" to help cover unexpected expenses. We ended up needing new tires in order to pass a vehicle inspection too! That was like $500. Then my car battery crapped out, to the point I had to jump it everyday! That was another $125. I was pissed my car that we bought brand new 3 years earlier was costing us money while my husbands 12 year old Jeep wasn't costing us anything!

I totally know how it feels to finally scream, "I'm debt free bitches" and I know you don't want to borrow money again, after paying off all your debt.
Maddies_mom101
by on May. 7, 2012 at 1:53 AM

2 dozen times wow  did you go with him every time?  How do you forget about regular car maintenance??  Smart people know not to get debt  and learn to live within their means so that they don't have to depend on deployments to help them pay off debt.  its not  rocket science.....but them again with how much your story has changed and all the holes  I wonder

Quoting mrsdic:

you can't read can you?  he went in there just shy of two dozen times since he's been back from iraq.  we didn't "forget" about the car either.  paid stuff off while he was deployed before all this dumb stuff happened with his pay.... then he got his promotion and all this crap started happening after.  i guess it's sooooo weird for people to pay off debt during deployment.  right.  

Quoting Maddies_mom101:

wow..... can you be any more condesending..... you are the one that came on here  acting as though the military should be paying for your husband's car repairs because   you didn't think of fixing the car before you  plum forgot about it  and used money to pay off your debt.  Hey if your husband can't get to work thats your guys fault, and its your fault that you don't know  how to prioritize money. I know you have complained about how you didn't get paid for the right rank  blah blah blah and your husband allowed it to go on for 8 months, being proactive will get you a long way , and that mean more then just going to finance once or twice.

You act as though you came in here looking for insults.... are you attempting to play the victim ?

Quoting mrsdic:

I expected to be insulted because I didn't know what I was talking about with the 1SG thing and finance, I didn't expect a response so unintelligent though lol.  It was standard repairs based on his mileage.  I can't believe you don't understand simple stuff like that... it's pretty normal.  And if his pay wasn't so low based on what he SHOULD have been making vs the crap they were paying him, we would have had the money for it.  And if he was working at walmart, he would have quit for not having the pay straightened out for 8 months.  Sorry if you had trouble understanding any of that, I thought it was pretty obvious what I was saying.  

Quoting Dani_Lynn:

How is it the military's fault your vehicle is a POS and you don't have the money to fix it? If your SO worked at Walmart, would you expect them to help you find money to fix it?

Quoting jdabcoth:

hmm sounds to me like ya'll need to do something about it. and as for the car, get a newer used on bc it is not worth fixing. mine i have spent a thousand on recntly just for the parts. thankfully my fiance works on it when he can. but his truck is about to go out also. it sucks to be in this situation. but i thought the military was supposed to be more help for these problems.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)