Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

i'm sure i'll be insulted for this somehow but i have to ask....

Posted by   + Show Post

DH has been getting paid 2 ranks below his actual one for about 8 months.  In the past few months, his car needed some kind of repair that was going to cost a few hundred bucks.... he was driving mine for the majority of the time unless i needed to take the kids to the dr or something like that to kind of try to make it hold out (we're budgeted pretty tightly right now because of this) until the backpay, and right before it came in he had to take it one day and it blew.... repair is going to cost over $3000.   If he had been getting the proper pay we could have taken care of the car earlier.  I guess it was stupid of us but we paid all of our debt off with savings and just didn't anticipate a problem like this in the few months we would take to rebuild it.  I was venting about it to a friend of mine who is in the military, and she was saying something about how he should talk to his 1SG because they usually help out with stuff like this and helping him get in touch with "the people he needed to in order to get this fixed".  and she also said finance is only supposed to be allowed 30 days to fix something like this.  i know we probably just have to take it, but it'd be nice to know if she meant something by that.  she had to leave to go get her husband shortly after she said that.... so i didn't really have a chance to ask.  we don't have the money sitting around to fix his car and i'm supposed to be starting a job soon hopefully.... which obviously would help pay, but not if we don't have 2 cars.  ugh!

by on May. 6, 2012 at 1:50 AM
Replies (91-100):
pittawadda
by on May. 8, 2012 at 9:35 AM
Same here except it was a year with no BAH, a deployment, submitted paperwork 5 times, weekly check indy and still nothing.
You know what fixed it? I called the congressman finally. We got a year if backpay by the end of the week.

Quoting LOswald0314:

It happened to us for 6 months. DH wasn't getting BAS and kept being told they lost the paperwork, then after 6 months we moved and finance at the new base told us we were shit out of luck. It can take that long.

Quoting jas_momof2:

8 months is a long time to sit on your ass and not take it through to the proper channels - use the resources that are available to him to get it fixed...  That's all I'm saying...  It's asinine to have something like that continue and the lame excuse of not wanting "backlash" is a bit ludicrous.  This is his family's financial welfare...  I would think that would be a priority.

I never said finance is God and they never screw up.  They do and sometimes the fix can take MONTHS - but 8? 

Quoting mrsdic:

if it wasn't, i would have posted anon in a drama group.  nice of you though.  again, like i've said to other people here, you're more than welcome to try to disprove me.  i have no problems answreing questions because there's nothing to hide here.  i was just asking a question about what we have going on that's just turned into a "turbo shit hitting the fan" situation for us.  sorry if it's not believable enough for you.   i just hope it doesn't wind up happening to your or your DH.  regardless of the problems it caused us, pay issues SUCK.  and fort bliss is notorious for them.  i know quite a few people down here that have had equally ridiculous and "ubelievable" problems here, not just pay related.  wanna tell them they're lying too?

Quoting vintage-misha:

I'm glad ya'll said it. This just cannot be all true...

Quoting Maddies_mom101:

i don't understand either why someone would stick a spouses car in storage while deployed and then expect it to come out in the same condition....but thats the Army's fault too and of course they should pay for it ......

Quoting jas_momof2:

I think there's more to this story...  Either he's lying or you are.  There's NO REASON why he shouldn't have gone to IG by now...  Who doesn't take care of his own shit?  Seriously??  Is he that lazy?  You're quick to blame the military when HE should be taking the next step and the one after that and the one after that to get this fixed.  8 months??  That's his fault.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tazz67mom
by on May. 8, 2012 at 9:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Wow some of you women are a real piece of work. It is the military' fault, they were not able to stay on top of the problem with the car because hw was not being paid correctley. He isn't the only one it has happened to nor will he be the last. A friend of ours made 1st class and they went the wrong way with his pay, it happens. There are many resources out there he can go to; his command can help as well. It will not come back on him under these circumstances. Good luck to you.

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on May. 8, 2012 at 9:54 AM
1 mom liked this

The ridiculous pay issue aside - did you see the part where they blew through their savings to become debt free instead of keeping an emergency fund for just this type of thing?  How is that the military's fault?

Quoting tazz67mom:

Wow some of you women are a real piece of work. It is the military' fault, they were not able to stay on top of the problem with the car because hw was not being paid correctley. He isn't the only one it has happened to nor will he be the last. A friend of ours made 1st class and they went the wrong way with his pay, it happens. There are many resources out there he can go to; his command can help as well. It will not come back on him under these circumstances. Good luck to you.

tazz67mom
by on May. 8, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Quoting jas_momof2:

The ridiculous pay issue aside - did you see the part where they blew through their savings to become debt free instead of keeping an emergency fund for just this type of thing?  How is that the military's fault?

Quoting tazz67mom:

yes I saw that part, I am just saying that both parties had a hand in this problem. The military has services to help them. We ran into an issue when my DH was an E2 and we took a loan out and paid it back over a period of 6 mos. I don't see how getting help is a problem. We all need help sometimes. This group should not kick her while she is down. We all make mistakes, we don't know we are even making one until it is done. So how about we point her in the right direction instead of pointing out her mistakes.

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on May. 8, 2012 at 10:08 AM

We have...  this isn't her first post about the pay issue...

Quoting tazz67mom:

Quoting jas_momof2:

Quoting tazz67mom:

yes I saw that part, I am just saying that both parties had a hand in this problem. The military has services to help them. We ran into an issue when my DH was an E2 and we took a loan out and paid it back over a period of 6 mos. I don't see how getting help is a problem. We all need help sometimes. This group should not kick her while she is down. We all make mistakes, we don't know we are even making one until it is done. So how about we point her in the right direction instead of pointing out her mistakes.

tazz67mom
by on May. 8, 2012 at 10:15 AM

well you can lead a horse to water and all, maybe she will figure it all out someday.

Quoting jas_momof2:

We have...  this isn't her first post about the pay issue...

Quoting tazz67mom:

Quoting jas_momof2:

Quoting tazz67mom:

xxlilmomma09
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2012 at 12:32 PM
Lol - in the end, he would only receive a couple hundred dollars extra a month. Do you REALLY think the car issues wouldn't have occured? Of course they would have! That extra money would have been spent elsewhere.

Quoting tazz67mom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xxlilmomma09
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2012 at 12:33 PM
That craps old. Get new material and try again.

Quoting mrsdic:

you know what they say about ASSuming my dear ;)

Quoting xxlilmomma09:

It's the Army fault that her husband is irresponsible :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dmfab09
by on May. 8, 2012 at 3:03 PM
Quoting SierraLynn:

All his 1st sgt would do is get set up with am AER loan, and you don't want that, unless its 100% unavoidable. But you have a second vehicle, so I wouldn't do it.
I would also scrap that car for whatever its worth and just buy a newer one. $3000 on repairs will not be worth it in the long run.

I don't know much about AER loans, why do you not want to do it unless it's totally avoidable?
mrsdic
by on May. 8, 2012 at 3:03 PM

thanks.  it's refreshing to see someone in here that isn't a raging bitch.  he went to his command in his old unit... they didn't do anything.  we only wound up getting things SOMEWHAT straight because we found someone who knows someone in finance.  his command in his new unit didn't even really do anything.  

Quoting tazz67mom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)