Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Women in the military with children

Posted by   + Show Post

How do you view military women that became a mom before they went in?  Do you feel they are neglecting their child or helping to make a better life for them?  I have a baby and she is the best thing in my world.  I don't know what I would do without her, but I still want to go into the military.  I will be hopefully going in a year or sooner.  Everybody is so negative towards me because they keep saying that my daughter needs me, and everything like that.  I don't know what to think anymore.  I don't want her to feel like I am neglecting her, or that mommy doesn't love her because she is never there.  She is 6 months old, so I was thinking that if I start now, she will be too young to realize and as she gets older it won't bother her so bad.  I would like to hear your views on it.  Also, if you are a mom in the military, how do you feel with leaving and everything like that?  Thanks for the advice.

by on May. 6, 2012 at 8:57 AM
Replies (11-20):
violinjewel
by Julia on May. 6, 2012 at 9:57 AM

Quoting jas_momof2:

Do what you feel is best.  It's not an easy thing if you're single.  One of my dear friends is single and is in the AF...  It's been hard, but for her - it's been worth it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
4ever-SJ
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2012 at 9:58 AM
2 moms liked this
It's not a choice I would make, but how I feel about it should have no bearing on your life decisions.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vintage-misha
by on May. 6, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Quoting 4ever-SJ:

It's not a choice I would make, but how I feel about it should have no bearing on your life decisions.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Elle.tea.22
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2012 at 10:50 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes your baby needs you. But she will also need you tomorrow. And next year and year after that. If youve thought of a military career its because you need the benefits, job security etc. Nothing is free, you are trading away 6 months of her life to give her a better one. I'd say go for it.

sailorwifenmom
by on May. 6, 2012 at 11:09 AM
I don't feel that it's any different than when a man does it. Being in the military - or not - isn't what makes someone a good or bad parent. And, I believe that's true no matter what gender the parent is.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
XJH143
by on May. 6, 2012 at 12:46 PM
1 mom liked this

If you feel as though joining the military is the absolute best thing for you and your daughter, then you should absolutely do it. One thing I will suggest is that you have a good support system, for the times that you will have to be apart from your daughter. I was a single mom with 2 children in the military. I can't lie it was rough, but we made it through.

lilnena98
by on May. 6, 2012 at 12:55 PM

If you really want to join then go for it. Only, you can make that decision, and know what is best for your family. You will have those who will bash you for your decision, however, don't let that afect your decision.

LADY_V088
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2012 at 1:25 PM
I was in the army and i joined as a single parents. My son was 2 1-/2 yrs old. I was doing it because we needed it. He didn't have health insurance and i couldn't be a CNA anymore! Buuuut i was med boarded for a tear in my hip joint and was only gone 9 months. I talked to my son every chance i could get. Now i am married to a marine and also thinking about re-enlisting but in the Navy since I am a nurse now... Ds is 6 now
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pregers2011
by on May. 6, 2012 at 4:17 PM

So you were in the military?  Which did you serve and how long?  I would like to find moms that were in the military, but I haven't been able to find anything with them in the military.  I just want to be able to talk about what it would be like and how has your life changed by serving?

Quoting XJH143:

If you feel as though joining the military is the absolute best thing for you and your daughter, then you should absolutely do it. One thing I will suggest is that you have a good support system, for the times that you will have to be apart from your daughter. I was a single mom with 2 children in the military. I can't lie it was rough, but we made it through.

XJH143
by on May. 6, 2012 at 5:07 PM

I was in the Navy for 10 years. I was a single mom for 5 years with 2 children...Send me a private message with your questions, and I'll do my best to answer them. My husband is Active Duty Airforce so if I don't know the answer to something I'll ask him.

Quoting pregers2011:

So you were in the military?  Which did you serve and how long?  I would like to find moms that were in the military, but I haven't been able to find anything with them in the military.  I just want to be able to talk about what it would be like and how has your life changed by serving?

Quoting XJH143:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)