Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Security while dealing with deployment.

As if anything else could happen.. I was pretty freaked out last night. Around 3am I heard a faint knock on the door. I figured it was probably the cat or a dream. I layed alert in bed for a few mintues and I heard it again. Except this time it was a "knock knock knock" on the door, like someone was really there. I went to the kitchen to peak out of the blinds. The lights were off but I didn't see anyone, so I layed back down. A few minutes later, they rang the doorbell three times in a row. So I got dressed, looked out of the spare bedroom this time, still saw no one then turned on all the lights in the kitchen, the front porch and the hallway. I had the phone ready to dial 911 and my pepper spray. Except no one was there, again. I closed the door and walked down the sidewalk. The next door neighbor's driveway had a red bronco in it with a female sitting in the drivers seat, smoking and alert. I asked her about it and she said she didn't do it. So either she was lying, or she saw who did it because we live in a subdivision where the houses are close together. The red bronco does not belong to the owners next door. 

We don't own a gun, I was against it until right before he left then we never got the chance to get one. The most I have in terms of a weapon is my pepper spray, field hockey stick or a pan. My dog (cocker spaniel), doesn't even bark because she's too sweet and her previous owner wasn't suppose to have her so she kept her quiet during the 4 months she had her. 

What do you have in terms of protection? This really freaked me out. I realize it may have been kids playing the classic ding dong ditch, but what if it was more serious? & yes I checked all rooms after walking out of the house lol.

by on May. 6, 2012 at 1:46 PM
Replies (21-30):
barrelracer1699
by Chel on May. 7, 2012 at 8:21 AM

Before my husband deployed he wanted to get me a 9mm hand gun. We couldn't afford one but we do have a couple hunting guns. If an emergency I probly could figure it out. When he came home for R&R we got me a 9mm. It is small enough for my hands and not a lot of recoil. I also have a dog outside on a chain becasue hes a hunting dog, and then I have my dog inside at night.

anchorgurl
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2012 at 9:21 AM

You will not look lame calling the police.  You never know what people are up to.  The girl could have been with someione knocking on doors to see whose house to break into.  It's always worth a call to the police. 

No help with security, though.  I don't have anything other than a frying pan.

CPOsWife
by on May. 7, 2012 at 10:08 AM
We have sensor lights and I have a gun in a lockbox in my bedside table. It may help you feel a little better to take some self defense classes if you have the time. If you do decide to get a gun before he returns, get something small because the recoil will kick a beginners butt. But any gun store should carry a taser as well. Do NOT go outside looking for anyone!
GirlWithANikon
by Member on May. 7, 2012 at 12:02 PM

I have a dog, he is a shepherd but he doesn't bark, I don't think he would bite anyone either. I sometimes keep a small pocket type knife, like the kind you might use for fishing or various things tucked away in my bedroom depending upon where we live. I have never really felt scared or like we needed a gun or anything. Every place the army has taken us has been calmer, if not nicer than home lol.

cocoroo
by Coco on May. 7, 2012 at 12:04 PM
I can't believe you went outside .
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momofkamnlela
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2012 at 12:40 PM
We have a security system, that we got right before dh left. Also a shot gun, is never go outside but if I did I'd have that gun and act all crazy like big momma. Lol
momofkamnlela
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2012 at 12:43 PM
But sounds like teens....
Juliatrick2011
by on May. 7, 2012 at 3:55 PM

This may sound silly, but I read an article about keeping wasp spray on hand - the kind that shoots like 20 feet.  This way you don't have to wait until they are really close to you before you can do something to defend yourself.  I also like the car keys idea.  I grew up with guns and have even taken courses and gone hunting, but they still make me nervous.

babowes
by on May. 7, 2012 at 4:18 PM

we have an alarm I feel safer with it on

babowes
by on May. 7, 2012 at 4:18 PM

never go outisde

Quoting cocoroo:

I can't believe you went outside .

navy

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN