Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

C-sections plus deployment :(

Posted by on May. 7, 2012 at 12:44 AM
  • 45 Replies

My husband and I are thinking about doing the whole pregnancy thing while he is on deployment so that the baby would be due around May (just aft he gets back). I'm scared tho because I already have a daughter and had to get an emergency C-section with her after I dialated 10cm (Her head was crooked to the side so if I would have pushed her out I might have snapped her neck)  :(

I was wondering if anyone had in advice on the chances that the doctor's would make me get a C-section again and take the baby once it has reached full-term?

by on May. 7, 2012 at 12:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
vintage-misha
by on May. 7, 2012 at 1:14 AM

It will really depend on your doctor and your body. I know people who have had Vaginal birth after C-Section (VBAC) but some doctors refuse to try. You could try doing a Hospital birth with a Midwife since they will carefully evaluate your situation and plan for a vbac.

LOswald0314
by Lindsey on May. 7, 2012 at 2:57 AM

It's more and more common for women to attempt VBAC's now.  You'd have to be at a very small hospital or have medical issues that make a c-section necesary for your doctor to not let you try.  My doctors were very supportive of my decision to try for a VBAC, although it failed and I ended up with another emergency c-section.  Good luck!

Afganmother
by on May. 7, 2012 at 6:44 AM
1 mom liked this

I had an emergency C-section with my first child and my doctor automatically assumed I wanted another. I didn't argue because I believe you heal faster with a C-section (just my opinion). Another thing, you know exactly when your baby will arrived with a schedule C-section.

If a VBAC is something you want to try, I would just recommend you talk with your doctors and see what they say. Good luck :)

mom2jessnky
by Dedi on May. 7, 2012 at 6:56 AM

Depending on how your were cut, you could attempt a VBAC, if your doctor will allow it. Some hospitals will, others won't.

One of my friends had an Emergency C with her oldest, did a VBAC with her second (different hospital), then with her 3rd they said no way and made her have a c-section (same hospital as the 1st kiddo).

Me personally, C-sections are MAJOR surgery and not something I would choose if I didn't have to. There are risks with a VBAC as well. So you have to weigh the risks and decide which you're more comfortable with.

mom2jessnky
by Dedi on May. 7, 2012 at 7:06 AM

Huh?! I'm sorry but saying that is like saying that you'll recover faster from getting hit by a truck going 60mph, then you will from crashing on your bicycle. No you won't.

Quoting Afganmother:

I had an emergency C-section with my first child and my doctor automatically assumed I wanted another. I didn't argue because I believe you heal faster with a C-section (just my opinion). Another thing, you know exactly when your baby will arrived with a schedule C-section.

If a VBAC is something you want to try, I would just recommend you talk with your doctors and see what they say. Good luck :)

Afganmother
by on May. 7, 2012 at 7:10 AM

Quoting mom2jessnky:

Huh?! I'm sorry but saying that is like saying that you'll recover faster from getting hit by a truck going 60mph, then you will from crashing on your bicycle. No you won't.

Quoting Afganmother:

I actually did heal faster than my sister who had both of her boys vaginal. If you read, I said that it was just my opinion! I would choose a C-section any day over vaginal. To have to go through all the pains and scrap...I will pass on that. Again its just my opinion!!

cteal15
by on May. 7, 2012 at 7:18 AM
It just depends on the dr and how your first c section was done. If you want a VBAC let them know, talk it over with the dr. Have a plan. Good luck with everything!
vintage-misha
by on May. 7, 2012 at 7:35 AM
2 moms liked this

LMAO!!!! This is bull and I hope nobody listens to you, just awful. Furthermore please look into the EXTENSIVE studies that are being done to show that any type of induction, and yes a scheduled c section is an induction, can have long term repercussions on a baby. I had a preemie, an 2 emergency inductions. I would have killed to have a real without induction birth. 

Quoting Afganmother:

Follow Me on Pinterest

pregers2011
by on May. 7, 2012 at 8:08 AM

Honestly I heard that the second c-section is easier then the first.  I had an emergency c-section because the cord was wrapped all the way around her body and neck.  I wouldn't want to test a vbac.  If I do have another baby it will definitely be a c-section because I know what to expect and there isn't anything wrong after she is born.  It is less tramatic for them also.

barrelracer1699
by Chel on May. 7, 2012 at 8:12 AM

I would just talk to your doctor and see. VBAC are becoming more and more norm.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)