Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

C-sections plus deployment :(

Posted by   + Show Post

My husband and I are thinking about doing the whole pregnancy thing while he is on deployment so that the baby would be due around May (just aft he gets back). I'm scared tho because I already have a daughter and had to get an emergency C-section with her after I dialated 10cm (Her head was crooked to the side so if I would have pushed her out I might have snapped her neck)  :(

I was wondering if anyone had in advice on the chances that the doctor's would make me get a C-section again and take the baby once it has reached full-term?

by on May. 7, 2012 at 12:44 AM
Replies (41-45):
pregers2011
by on May. 9, 2012 at 8:17 AM

Ok...I get that, but the thing is you still know somewhat of what to expect after a c-section.  You guys will know when to do this around so that way he is back in time for you to do the c-section.  Honestly, I would want my husband there and if I had a choice between a vbac and a c-section, I would do it just for that so that way I know when the baby will be born and we can plan accordingly.

Quoting betsyfaith:

I wouldn't say a second is easier, every surgery is diff, period. My first csect was a breeze, second was horrible...all around horrible.

Quoting pregers2011:

Honestly I heard that the second c-section is easier then the first.  I had an emergency c-section because the cord was wrapped all the way around her body and neck.  I wouldn't want to test a vbac.  If I do have another baby it will definitely be a c-section because I know what to expect and there isn't anything wrong after she is born.  It is less tramatic for them also.

betsyfaith
by Betsy :) on May. 9, 2012 at 12:31 PM
1 mom liked this

let me beat a dead horse, and reply, fill you in on my story.  This is why I will encourage other's to always try natural or vbac before right off planning c sections.  My dd (baby #1) was well overcooking.  The decision was made for a c.  It was smoth as can be.  I was in operating, she was out and I was in recovery in half an hour.  I healed quick, I loved the process, thought it was the best thing since sliced bread.

It was decided to do a repeat.  I thought, this will be cake, I will be in and out and be cuddling baby.  What actually happened was that from the time I was in the OR things were off.  There was more scare tissue than anticipated.  Causing the need for a vertical slice, which resulted inin the need to use a vacuum.  Then my intestines had shifted since I gave birth previously and had dd.  They had to call in a general surgeon to literally hand over hand examine my intestinal tract bc they thought that they sliced it. post surgery I spent double time in recovery bc the anesthetic wasn't wearing off as planned.  Then the healing process, I not only have an upside down T from the original bikini cut, but also due to the vertical.  Not only that but I have 2 spots that wouldn't heal and were literally holes for weeks, and now I have lovely scaring in those spots on top of the upside down T.  

Yeah, sure you can schedule a date for a c.  Sure you can think it will truly be a repeat, but the reality is is that you are repeating a major surgery.   I get the desire to have your husband there, but on some level I equate that to being vain and demanding nature to stay your course rather than the course it has planned.

Quoting pregers2011:

Ok...I get that, but the thing is you still know somewhat of what to expect after a c-section.  You guys will know when to do this around so that way he is back in time for you to do the c-section.  Honestly, I would want my husband there and if I had a choice between a vbac and a c-section, I would do it just for that so that way I know when the baby will be born and we can plan accordingly.

Quoting betsyfaith:

I wouldn't say a second is easier, every surgery is diff, period. My first csect was a breeze, second was horrible...all around horrible.

Quoting pregers2011:

Honestly I heard that the second c-section is easier then the first.  I had an emergency c-section because the cord was wrapped all the way around her body and neck.  I wouldn't want to test a vbac.  If I do have another baby it will definitely be a c-section because I know what to expect and there isn't anything wrong after she is born.  It is less tramatic for them also.

SlapItHigh
by Platinum Member on May. 10, 2012 at 1:19 AM

I don't think that's true about "snapping" her neck.  I would talk to a MW about VBAC?

ma2calebzoeyeli
by on May. 13, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Mines a completely anecdotal statement from the women I have talked too. I haven't researched it. That's why I told her to talk to her doctor ;o)  

Quoting LOswald0314:

I think that's a common misconception. I was at two hospitals during my second pregnancy, ft hood and ft Lewis and my doctors at both hospitals preferred I attempted a vbac.

Quoting ma2calebzoeyeli:

It depends on your dr and the circumstances surround your previous section.  Military drs seem more against VBACs than civilian.  I would make an appointment to talk to the OBGYN where you are and see what they say.

~~~Tina~~~ 

tm_burriss. Get yours at bighugelabs.com/flickr

xxlilmomma09
by Gold Member on May. 13, 2012 at 8:26 PM
You heal faster, LMAO!

Quoting Afganmother:

I had an emergency C-section with my first child and my doctor automatically assumed I wanted another. I didn't argue because I believe you heal faster with a C-section (just my opinion). Another thing, you know exactly when your baby will arrived with a schedule C-section.

If a VBAC is something you want to try, I would just recommend you talk with your doctors and see what they say. Good luck :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)