Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Anyone have this problem when your SO is gone??

Ok so everytime DH leaves I seem to have problems with my weight. I feel like I should be able to get used to this I mean its just going to be a part of our life. I seem to get stressed out a bit too much when hes gone. When he was last deployed I ended up being SUPER stressed but everything imaginable went wrong I mean everything lol. So I ended up going from my normal weight of 105 down to 95-97 lbs...It was really bad and embarrassing. I looked gross...I had no appetite because I was soo stressed. So I was forcing myself to eat which was really painful because I wasnt hungry. When he came back my stress started to wain and my appetite slowly came back. I went back to my normal weight and have a pretty hefty appetite (which is normal for me).

Now here we are again and DH isnt even deployed he just had to leave for tech school (re-train) so I feel like its ridiculous that im starting to have this problem again. Within the last 3 days I just noticed a drop in my appetite but I got concerned and dont want to end up where I was last time. So im eating like normal PLUS SOME. Im trying to get my self to eat way more than I normally do so that it doesnt happen again. But its not having ANY effect, ive already lost 2 lbs which is making me stress out more (which I know isnt helping). Nothing has really been that bad but my 3 year old has been off the wall crazy, major MAJOR tantrums and it's been stressing me out pretty bad. Im also not sleeping (it always takes me a while to adjust) so im sure thats not helping. But im just worried and don't know what to do, I want to fix this before it happens again like last time. Anyone have any suggestions?

by on May. 7, 2012 at 1:00 PM
Replies (11-20):
babowes
by on May. 7, 2012 at 4:30 PM

holy crow....with no diet or exercise!

Quoting sierracafe23:

Yep, Im the same way. When DH left I was 145lbs in 6 months I dropped to 118lbs.

navy

violinjewel
by Julia on May. 7, 2012 at 7:08 PM
I was going to suggest protein shakes, and I do the same. Even when he's not gone, I can go a week eating maybe one meal a day. I just go through spurts of not being hungry.

Quoting vintage-misha:

Try a protein shake or a high calorie shake to go with it! Nothing huge but 6 ounces could help you keep on some weight.

Quoting Italiancouture7:

Quoting Maddies_mom101:

I think I forget to eat since when DH is gone I don't make big meals. i am all about quick and easy when its just me and the kiddos.

Thats actually what I did last time because DD was so little it was basically just me lol...So this time I decided I would just keep making big meals. So we are having left overs for 2-3 days but its still a big full meal.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aplus6
by on May. 7, 2012 at 9:00 PM

That sounds pretty normal to me. I lose about 5-10 lbs when DH is gone if Im not pregnant

Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
dtristan78
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2012 at 9:05 PM

I LOST 45 POUNDS WHEN DH WAS GONE....I'VE GAINED 50 BACK....

I'M A LARDASS

anchorgurl
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2012 at 6:29 AM

I tend to gain because I eat junk food, or go out to dinner more, when he's not here.

InMediasRes
by on May. 8, 2012 at 11:06 AM

This is me too, and since I don't eat as much when he's gone I'll do things like keep a bag of almonds or a protein bar in my purse so that I can eat something when I'm on the go. Since I pick up more slack when he's gone and I seem to be more busy, having that snack will keep me from doing things like going to the drive through at Wendy's when I start to get hungry......even though I can hear the frosties calling to me from down the street. lol

I don't know if you're an exercise person, but physical exertion will help relieve some of the stress as well as bump up your appetite. Even if you just did a walk around the neighborhood, you could kill two birds with one stone. An added benefit with exercise would be that if you did gain weight, it would be muscle and not fat.

Quoting Maddies_mom101:

I think I forget to eat since when DH is gone I don't make big meals. i am all about quick and easy when its just me and the kiddos.

LOswald0314
by Lindsey on May. 8, 2012 at 1:01 PM

I do lose when he's gone but it's because I'm not cooking meals for him, it's easier to diet.

adrianna1043
by Adrianna on May. 8, 2012 at 2:29 PM
I always lose weight when he's deployed. I'm still breastfeeding my baby so the weight loss this time hasn't been as much about 20 pounds. I always turn into a bony rail, I hate it. I love having a butt and boobs, I feel sexier.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LuvMyBoy08
by on May. 8, 2012 at 4:48 PM
Stress can do weird things, I'm the opposite, I gain weight when I'm stressed. Maybe try some de-stressers like, hot baths, reading, yoga, drink hot tea at night. You might even consult your doctor for awnsers
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wordman60
by Member on May. 8, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Have you talked to your doctor about this?  High stress levels and weight loss like you experience are not healthy.  They can negatively impact your health as you age, especially if the cycle continues over the course of his career.  I'm not a doctor, but I was a medic for 23 years and a military wife for almost as long.  I know how stressful his deployments and TDYs can be.  My peak stress levels were during each of my late husband's deployments to Vietnam during the Vietnam War.  His MOS was high risk for both deployments, and there were times when I wasn't certain if he would make it home.

Talk to your doctor, and see a counsellor if you need to talk through your stress.  There's no shame in this, and sometimes talking is a healthy means of relieving stress.

Best wishes.

hugs

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)