Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

PTSD

Posted by on May. 8, 2012 at 7:39 PM
  • 11 Replies

Hi my husban has been in the corps for 10 years now and has many deployments and has ptsd we just had our daughter 7 months ago and hes amazing to us both but sometimes it seems really hard for him does anyone have any advice on how to help him

by on May. 8, 2012 at 7:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
4ever-SJ
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2012 at 7:48 PM
Is he in counseling?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
christinajoy864
by on May. 8, 2012 at 7:52 PM

he is and it seems like he really dosent get much from it he thinks most of them our quaks and dosent seem all that interested in what they say

Whitney15
by on May. 8, 2012 at 8:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I have lots of experience in the psychology field....the first thing he has to do is find a therapist that he likes. Therapy is like dating...you aren't going to find your soul mate the first time out! But, you also have to give some time to see how things are going to go with the person. If you aren't meshing with that person, find another one. Each therapist has a different personality, and you have to find one that you mix well with. 

He also has to be ready to want the help.. 

christinajoy864
by on May. 8, 2012 at 8:27 PM

I think that's the biggest problem and he has to find one he likes i have my minor in psychology and he really i dont think wants the help he dosent want to open up about i truly hink hes scared to relive it all and so he just blocks it out instead of facing it

LuvMyBoy08
by on May. 8, 2012 at 8:47 PM
My husband also has PTSD, he's had it for awhile now. But, my husband doesn't think he needs help and refuses treatment.
I'm glad your husband at leasts acknowledges that he needs some help, but I'm sure it is very hard to open up doors that he's tried blocking. Good luck to you guys
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
christinajoy864
by on May. 9, 2012 at 1:32 AM

i wish you guys the best of luck as well

betsyfaith
by Betsy :) on May. 9, 2012 at 1:47 AM
1 mom liked this
Anything related to mental health has to be somewhat self.dirscted, as in the person needing the help.has to be at a place in life where they recognize they need it and are willing to seek it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wingmom
by on May. 9, 2012 at 8:57 AM

My husband had PTSD and things were getting scary for  a while and we got close to divorce until I told him he had to get help or our marriage wouldnt make it. He wanted me and his son to stay bad enough he found thank goodness a counselor he liked, but mainly I think going on the right med helped him the most. The VA started him on Paxil and he is a different man and it saved our marriage and I think his life ultimately.

JerseyAirGurl
by Ada on May. 9, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Has he tried a group setting... maybe talking to other veterans?

bamababe1975
by on May. 9, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Maybe a PTSD support group would be better for him? More relaxed?

Love Giving Advice? Join Our Advice Squad!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)