Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Our first PCS move ever! Need advise!

Posted by on May. 10, 2012 at 1:17 AM
  • 11 Replies
So dh has been stationed here in San Diego since he graduated boot camp in 2001. We're finally doing our first pcs move to Hawaii in September. And since dh is currently deployed (he'll be back in July-ish) we hardly have time to talk about what to expect. He says he'll start looking into everything when he gets back but I would love to know what to expect. So my questions are: how does TMO work? Do they literally come and pack your whole house? What does or should be shipped first? How long did does it take for stuff to get there? Any info will be appreciated! Thanks :)
by on May. 10, 2012 at 1:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GCM
by Member on May. 10, 2012 at 5:39 AM
1 mom liked this

TMO will come and literally pack up your ENTIRE house.  Throw away your trash before they come, otherwise when you're unpacking you'll get an unpleasant surprise.  (They will pack your trash can with the trash still in it.)  They should do two different shipments.  The first one should be everything you'll need right when you arrive. (pots, pans, blow up mattress if you have it,, crib, blankets things like that.)  You are allowed to ship one vehicle per military member as well if you like.  It's up to you if you want to bring a car or not.  The first crate with items you'll need right away should arrive within a week or two from you getting there.  The second crate will take a month or two to arrive.  Also, this is VERY IMPORTANT, when the packers show up, if they're telling you they'll pack up everything in boxes and then take the boxes back to their business to get packed in the crate, tell them to leave and go get the crate.  DO NOT LET THEM LEAVE WITHOUT YOUR STUFF CRATED AND NAILED SHUT! (There should also be tape or labels on the seams showing if they are damaged or broken at all on arrival that would prove tampering.)  I don't care how trustworthy they seem or tell you they are, packers steal shit all the time.  My first move I packed all my CD's and DVD's separately into a big case I took with me in my suitcase.  Once I got moved in and my stuff arrived, yeah, I've still got my movies...but I'm missing cases that were packed because they were trying to steal the movies. (I would also keep your jewelry with you, pack it up yourself in your suitcase before they arrive.)  They are also notorious for stealing baby items like cribs, strollers and high chairs.  You need to make sure you're watching them pack up your stuff and label EVERYTHING in the inventory. (It'll be hard, you'll have 3-4 packers hit your house all at once.) If something goes missing it's on you to report it within a short time frame after it arrives.  Every item and box that's packed should be numbered and every item they pack should be on a huge listing with what every numbered item is.  I would also take pictures of your high end items and serial numbers in-case anything gets damaged.  That way you can prove it's condition prior to being packed in-case something breaks.  During my most recent move I had drinks and food for the packers.  They really appreciated it.  I also talked with them the whole time they were there.  Guess how much of my stuff mysteriously disappeared? 0 items.  I hope this helps.  :)

JerseyAirGurl
by Ada on May. 10, 2012 at 7:12 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting GCM:

TMO will come and literally pack up your ENTIRE house.  Throw away your trash before they come, otherwise when you're unpacking you'll get an unpleasant surprise.  (They will pack your trash can with the trash still in it.) 

They have packed your trash before? Never heard of that. True about missing items...making sure its on the inventory. But it usually is more likely to have stuff broken.
mom2jessnky
by Dedi on May. 10, 2012 at 7:21 AM
1 mom liked this

Call the Relocation Assistance Program (RAP) they'll help you tremendously. Attend a Smooth Moves class on base too. The base we're at requires it, but it's a good idea to take anyway.

DMO (they changed it from TMO) will send movers and they will pack your whole house, if there are things you want to take with you, put them somewhere like a closet and tell them to leave that area alone.

I *think* since you're doing an overseas move you'll have 2 shipments, express and regular. in the express shipment you put things you'll need immediately (they don't give you a whole lot of weight/room for it) and then the rest will be in the main shipment.

Seriously though, go to RAP and take the Smooth Moves class! :)

Elle.tea.22
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2012 at 8:54 AM
1 mom liked this
Pack some things yourself (things you'll need for about a month) like 2 pots a pan, clothes, and put Em in a big box for a Family member to mail to you when you get to where you're going. Your move won't be there for a month. Watch the movers like a hawk... If you aren't anal about it they will pack your trash can with trash still in it, or your coffee pot with coffee grounds.. Yea...
USMCwife0530
by on May. 10, 2012 at 8:56 AM
Thanks alot ladies, lots of good info :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GCM
by Member on May. 10, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Quoting JerseyAirGurl:

Quoting GCM:

TMO will come and literally pack up your ENTIRE house.  Throw away your trash before they come, otherwise when you're unpacking you'll get an unpleasant surprise.  (They will pack your trash can with the trash still in it.) 

They have packed your trash before? Never heard of that. True about missing items...making sure its on the inventory. But it usually is more likely to have stuff broken.

Yes, they packed my trash.  Not the kitchen trash, I had that out before they came, but they did pack up my bathroom trash.  Not exaclty something I really wanted to unwrap. : b

JerseyAirGurl
by Ada on May. 10, 2012 at 9:21 AM
Quoting GCM:

Holy nice Xmas surprise. The movers would tell me about things they woldnt pack or move (trash, food that spoiled, chemicals/ flamable or liquid things). I would put all that aside and give it away.
InMediasRes
by on May. 10, 2012 at 11:06 AM

I know someone whose trash got packed -with a dirty diaper inside. That thing was RIPE when it arrived. So disgusting!!

Quoting JerseyAirGurl:

Quoting GCM:

InMediasRes
by on May. 10, 2012 at 11:11 AM
2 moms liked this

You already got a lot of good info, but I want to add that if there's anything you really value or anything that you absolutely can't replace, then don't let the movers touch it. You have to remember that they don't care about your stuff the way they do, so they're not going to be as gentle with it as you would. I'm talking about things like maybe your wedding album or your kids' baby books....if you're sentimental about things like that.

Also, whatever you do NOT want them to pack, set it inside a closet and lock the door if you can. Put up a big sign that says "DO NOT PACK," because unless you do that, they will pack EVERYTHING. Oh, and keep your purse locked in the trunk of your car while the packers are there --they're notorious for stealing crap.

Like others said, go to the Smooth Moves class. It's worth the time and you'll get a lot of great tips. Good luck!

USMCwife0530
by on May. 10, 2012 at 1:49 PM
Thanks! I'll definitely look into the Smooth Moves class and attend it.

Quoting InMediasRes:

You already got a lot of good info, but I want to add that if there's anything you really value or anything that you absolutely can't replace, then don't let the movers touch it. You have to remember that they don't care about your stuff the way they do, so they're not going to be as gentle with it as you would. I'm talking about things like maybe your wedding album or your kids' baby books....if you're sentimental about things like that.

Also, whatever you do NOT want them to pack, set it inside a closet and lock the door if you can. Put up a big sign that says "DO NOT PACK," because unless you do that, they will pack EVERYTHING. Oh, and keep your purse locked in the trunk of your car while the packers are there --they're notorious for stealing crap.

Like others said, go to the Smooth Moves class. It's worth the time and you'll get a lot of great tips. Good luck!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)