Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

What to Expect?

Posted by on May. 14, 2012 at 4:26 PM
  • 16 Replies

Hey everyone!

I'm new here, but not so new to this lifestyle. I was an Air Force brat for half of my life and now that I'm an Army Wife it is a lot different.

I moved here to AZ to be with my husband during his AIT training. A lot of people say its dumb but with his crazy step-mother stalking me, and the fact that I didn't want Joe to miss our baby boy if he didn't HAVE to. :)

So now we are going to be stationed at Fort Drum New York! I am absolutely excited but a little nervous.

I plan on getting the housing paperwork all done this weekend (maybe this week if Joe can see me) so we can get on housing and get this settled. We have most of our stuff in Georgia so they can pic it up and move it...

Sooooo what else needs to be done? I'm freaking out!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

by on May. 14, 2012 at 4:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JerseyAirGurl
by Ada on May. 14, 2012 at 4:32 PM
I usually get all my medical records to take with me to the next duty station (they can always request it at the medical clinic, but I find it easier just to bring it along.) Remember to stop all services at the house you are leaving (cable, trash, water, light). Change your addresses with the postal service when you get to your new home. Also don't forget to change your billing and mailing addresses for car insurance, credit cards, etc. I'm sure the ladies can add more. I just gave my random list.
blondie.mom
by Charity on May. 14, 2012 at 4:47 PM
All this! I like to do my cc, bank, and billing info, and change of address 1st, just because it is the most important for us. If you know your new address now you can put in a change address with the post office now with a specific date to start. Make sure all your important papers are together and easily accessible (marriage cert, birth cert, ssc, etc) we keep ours all together in a safe. If you've not enrolled in deers you will need it.

Quoting JerseyAirGurl:

I usually get all my medical records to take with me to the next duty station (they can always request it at the medical clinic, but I find it easier just to bring it along.) Remember to stop all services at the house you are leaving (cable, trash, water, light). Change your addresses with the postal service when you get to your new home. Also don't forget to change your billing and mailing addresses for car insurance, credit cards, etc. I'm sure the ladies can add more. I just gave my random list.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Byrd15
by on May. 14, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Uh so much to do! Thank you so much! :D

JerseyAirGurl
by Ada on May. 14, 2012 at 4:51 PM
Quoting blondie.mom:

Yes yes yes! Do not TMO important documents. My husband made that mistake and forgot to get his Social Security Card. We needed it for paperwork and had to go to the SS Office to get paperwork stating his SSN (He forgot to take his naturalization paperwork so they wouldn't issue him a new SS card without it). That is a big one.
lilnena98
by on May. 14, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Pretty much everything that the other ladies told you. Good luck

Byrd15
by on May. 14, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Awsome! Thank you so much ladies! Im maing a list!

InMediasRes
by on May. 14, 2012 at 7:56 PM

What the other ladies said. Plus, if you haven't already done so, try to get some info about the area around Ft. Drum. Find out about things to do, places to live, areas of town to stay away from. It would be best if the Army assigned a sponsor family to you, but I don't know how often that happens. You can always ask around CM to see if there are other gals online that live there and can tell you about it. Good luck!

grlygrlz2
by on May. 14, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Have you looked into seeing if there are Relocation Readiness Seminars at your current base and in-processing base?

strawberrykitty
by New Member on May. 15, 2012 at 10:25 AM

I just joined the group and I live near Ft. Drum.   I have been here about 3 months and am living with family that is military while sorta dating a soldier.  If you have any questions about the area I may be able to help you.  Will you be living on or off post?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)