Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

interesting question

Posted by on May. 16, 2012 at 10:45 AM
  • 35 Replies
I read this in another group and i wanted to see what you ladies would reply.

If a woman gets pregnant and the father of the baby wants to opt for abortion or adoption and the woman doesnt want to;
should he still be responsible to pay child support

Interesting question!
I havent been in the position so its hard to say but it is an interesting twist. How many women would be willing to still have the child KNOWING the man will be held in no way reaponsible financially (so it goes without saying no physical or emotional support either).

Thoughts?
Would it even work? How can a guy prove that he never intended a pregnancy? Would guys be more likely to be careless? Would women be more careful?
by on May. 16, 2012 at 10:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lilnena98
by on May. 16, 2012 at 10:57 AM
3 moms liked this

If he doesn't want nothing to do with the baby, then she should have him terminate his rights as a father!

SierraLynn
by on May. 16, 2012 at 10:58 AM
2 moms liked this
I'm on the fence about it. I can see it from both perspectives. As in, if the guy didn't want a baby, he should use all aspects of protection available. And should be responsible for the child he helped create whether it was intended or not.
But I can also see how some accidents do happen, and if the mother wants to keep the child, regardless of the fathers wishes then she should take an extra step to be more financially ready for it and not have to rely on other people to help, or fully support and let the father sign his rights away if he wishes...
My feelings lean more toward, if you don't want a kid, make sure it doesn't happen. And if it does, reap the consequences.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xxlilmomma09
by on May. 16, 2012 at 11:02 AM
6 moms liked this
A man should have more choices. If the man doesn't want a child, he should have choices to walk away.

It's a two way street. If women have so many choices, men deserve the same right.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ASigler86
by on May. 16, 2012 at 11:03 AM
1 mom liked this
It takes two to make a baby. So he has a financial responsibility to the child whether he wants a physical relationship or not.

That being said; I personally would have him terminate his parental rights and just be done with him. I wouldn't want anything to do with him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gunsgirl
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2012 at 11:03 AM
2 moms liked this

yes, he has the full rights in the US to teminate parental rights if he does not want anything to do with the child. if he does not do that he is responsible for child support.

there are no reasons " accidents" happen. you play the game ( have sex protected or otherwise) you are responsible for the outcome of that action.

JerseyAirGurl
by Ada on May. 16, 2012 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this
There are some women out there who want children and are willing to do it alone. There are many single mothers who do it everyday without the support of the birth father. That doesn't change the fact that some women or men are not as "careful."
You can claim that you didn't want the pregnancy all you want, which doesn't change the fact it occurred (due to lack of bc or even when conctraceptive fails). If denying that you intended for something to occur got someone completely out of something then it would be kind of scary to see the results as in human behavior. Who knows...
mama_grizz
by on May. 16, 2012 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this
Ds's father did that, I'm still going to get support from him. I didn't make the baby by myself, and just because I couldn't kill a baby and I'm not strong enough to give it away, doesn't mean he's off the hook. If he didn't want to have a kid he shouldn't have had sex since nothing is 100% effective except abstinance. If he chooses to just make ds into a monthly bill he has to pay, then whatever, it's their relationship.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
asaffell
by Ashley on May. 16, 2012 at 11:17 AM
1 mom liked this

Agreed.

Quoting xxlilmomma09:

A man should have more choices. If the man doesn't want a child, he should have choices to walk away.

It's a two way street. If women have so many choices, men deserve the same right.

AbriCrazy
by on May. 16, 2012 at 11:23 AM
1 mom liked this
I think that's bullshit.

Unless Yall had initially agreed to have a child, I think he should have an option to take the easy out.
Just because YOU weren't "strong" enough, doesn't mean he should take the hit.

Quoting mama_grizz:

Ds's father did that, I'm still going to get support from him. I didn't make the baby by myself, and just because I couldn't kill a baby and I'm not strong enough to give it away, doesn't mean he's off the hook. If he didn't want to have a kid he shouldn't have had sex since nothing is 100% effective except abstinance. If he chooses to just make ds into a monthly bill he has to pay, then whatever, it's their relationship.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BompsMum
by on May. 16, 2012 at 11:23 AM
A spin off question- if the man has his rights taken away (and he agrees to it) should it negate a woman's ability to receive public assistance?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN