Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families
I read this in another group and i wanted to see what you ladies would reply.

If a woman gets pregnant and the father of the baby wants to opt for abortion or adoption and the woman doesnt want to;
should he still be responsible to pay child support

Interesting question!
I havent been in the position so its hard to say but it is an interesting twist. How many women would be willing to still have the child KNOWING the man will be held in no way reaponsible financially (so it goes without saying no physical or emotional support either).

Thoughts?
Would it even work? How can a guy prove that he never intended a pregnancy? Would guys be more likely to be careless? Would women be more careful?
by on May. 16, 2012 at 10:45 AM
Replies (31-35):
pittawadda
by on May. 17, 2012 at 2:29 PM

But he has no choice in the matter then. YOU made the choice to keep the baby and not do adoption. That was YOUR choice and YOUR choice is now to FORCE him to pay when he didn't have another option.

BUT if you do present him with the option of terminating his rights, then that is great.

Overall in these situations I think a man does need more choices. I also agree that if a woman wants an abortion and the father is dead set on wanting that child, I wish there was a way he could. However, I know that can never happen. I am pro-choice because that is what it is a choice and in a situation like that it really is ultimatly up to the woman since it is her body. So maybe if he pays for the medical bills of the pregnancy? Like she is s surragate then? I don't know. It's too gray.

Quoting mama_grizz:

He's just as responsible as I am for the creation of the child. If he grows a pair and actually communicates his wishes with me, I may let him give up his rights and he can go around making unwanted children with other women. I could care less about him, I don't think my son should suffer not having everything he needs just because a man who can't be a dad doesn't want to wrap his tool and deal with the consequences.
BompsMum
by on May. 17, 2012 at 3:48 PM
Quoting JustShawna:

Hmm..this is hard. I think he should be held responsible, but I foresee it going to court for him to be held responsible. Especially if he doesn't want the child. I also see him not being in the child's life. So, with that said, (this is my opinion and decision..) I think I would opt for NO child support and have him sign papers relinquishing all rights to the child. From there I would move on. Yes, it would work. There are tons of ladies out there who support children on thier own. I don't think it would matter if he had to prove that he never intended a woman to get pregnant, just that he signs over parental rights. If he does this, I think that's proof enough! I don't know if it would make guys more careless or women more careful...I don't even really know how that question relates to the issue at hand! LOL!

If a guy knows that by law he would have no financial responsibility to a child as long as he claims he didnt want a baby in the first place, they might be more careless
If a woman knows that the man can claim he didnt want the baby and she would havr no legal recourse- she may be more careful.
thats how it relates
MrsMWF
by on May. 17, 2012 at 5:55 PM
3 moms liked this

Yes he should pay support. The right of the child should come first. The child has the right to recieve support from both parents regardless of if the parent wanted the child.

If someone does't want children, don't do anything that will produce them.

BompsMum
by on May. 18, 2012 at 8:14 PM

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/man-fathered-30-kids-needs-break-child-support-140439765.html

ugh

.oOMellyOo.
by Silver Member on May. 18, 2012 at 9:11 PM

I completely agree. While one might have taken all precautionary methods to keep from having a child, the only proven way to not get knocked up is to abstain. Every time you choose to have sex you know that there is a chance of creating life.

Quoting MrsMWF:

Yes he should pay support. The right of the child should come first. The child has the right to recieve support from both parents regardless of if the parent wanted the child.

If someone does't want children, don't do anything that will produce them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)