Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Questions about taking in my little brother

Posted by on May. 16, 2012 at 7:00 PM
  • 15 Replies
1 mom liked this

He's 18 but has a year of high school left. He moved in with his dad two years ago and has gone farther down hill there than at my mom's. After his actions while visiting my Mom this weekend, and her run in with his dad, she is seriously thinking about shipping him to me in Hawaii for at least a month, but maybe for the school year. 

I didn't know how putting him into his last year of high school would work. Is there like paperwork we could fill out to take him as a dependent even though he's 18, or something so we could put him into the high school on base for that last year. Or how would you all go about this. 

Thank you in advance for your help. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

by on May. 16, 2012 at 7:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
xxlilmomma09
by Gold Member on May. 16, 2012 at 7:20 PM
It is hard to get a family member added to DEERS. It takes a bit to process and such. You can speak to the DEERS office on post for more information.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JerseyAirGurl
by Ada on May. 16, 2012 at 7:48 PM
It would be hard because unless he is Incapable to care for himself due to mental or physical reasons there is little reason to justify him as a dependant. He is 18 and not a child placed into your cusody. If he was a ward or foster child you need to get a dependency determination.
You can call DEERs if you like.
AimBre
by Member on May. 16, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Quoting JerseyAirGurl:

It would be hard because unless he is Incapable to care for himself due to mental or physical reasons there is little reason to justify him as a dependant. He is 18 and not a child placed into your cusody. If he was a ward or foster child you need to get a dependency determination.
You can call DEERs if you like.

That's what I was thinking since he's 18. Would there be anyway to get him in school you think. 

JerseyAirGurl
by Ada on May. 16, 2012 at 8:07 PM
Quoting AimBre:

I doubt it because he isn't a military dependant.
jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on May. 16, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Age might play a factor - but I've seen it done.  I don't, however, know the circumstances that surrounded it. 

gunsgirl
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2012 at 9:19 PM

since he is still in high school you can make hima dependant- you will need either temp legal guardianship or temp full custody. you will need this from a court.

but you can have him come stay with you for a month in the summer to give him a well needed vacay and see how it goes.

barrelracer1699
by Chel on May. 16, 2012 at 9:45 PM

I don't know so GL and hope someone can help you out!

Whitney15
by on May. 16, 2012 at 9:48 PM
I actually did this with my brother, who is 19. I know with my situation, we just had to show that he was dependant on us for survival basically.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AimBre
by Member on May. 16, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Quoting Whitney15:

I actually did this with my brother, who is 19. I know with my situation, we just had to show that he was dependant on us for survival basically.

Really, that would be awesome, because I practically raised him even though he's only 3 years younger. So if any one is going to be able to get him to refocus and grow up, it's me and DH. And staying with his father is just not good right now, he has no rules, no expectations, hell his dad hasn't even talk to him about going to college (probably so he doesn't have to worry about paying for it.) he told me that he already had "an awesome job working at my grandma's daycare making almost minnimum wage so why should he worry about high school and college" i kid you not. 

Whitney15
by on May. 16, 2012 at 9:56 PM
Well hopefully you can help him out! I know that my brother got into a bad crowd of friends, and just needed a fresh start somewhere, so we took him in. I'm not really sure how difficult it was to do it because my hubby handled it, but I never heard any complaints about it being hard to do. Good luck!!

Quoting AimBre:

Quoting Whitney15:

Really, that would be awesome, because I practically raised him even though he's only 3 years younger. So if any one is going to be able to get him to refocus and grow up, it's me and DH. And staying with his father is just not good right now, he has no rules, no expectations, hell his dad hasn't even talk to him about going to college (probably so he doesn't have to worry about paying for it.) he told me that he already had "an awesome job working at my grandma's daycare making almost minnimum wage so why should he worry about high school and college" i kid you not. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)