Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Commissary Extreme Couponing Crackdown

Posted by   + Show Post
The commissary is threatening to revoke the shopping privileges of crazy couponers who play the system a little too well.

According to this statement, the commissary will no longer be tolerating shoppers who buy “excessive quantities” just to rack up an “overage,” or money back.

A couponing “overage” occurs when the value of the coupon exceeds the price of an item, resulting in the shopper actually being paid to buy the product. Extreme couponers rely on this method to bring down their grocery bill for other items for which they do not have coupons. The commissary is one of the few grocery stores that will actually give a shopper literal cash back at the end of a purchase if the overages exceed the total bill.

So, for example, if you bought 30 bottles of mustard at $.50 each and had a coupon for $1 off each, the checker would literally hand you $15 at the end of your order.

The new policy labels that practice as potentially abusive, and draws the line at 36 units or three cases of any given product. Those who buy more than that amount with coupons will be red flagged as potential abusers. If the behavior continues they could be blocked from shopping at the commissary at all.

This change should only impact those who use extreme amounts of coupons at the commissary, a subject we’ve talked about here before. Those of us who use a few coupons every time for small but consistent shavings shouldn’t notice any change at all.

A second change will also likely only impact extreme shoppers. Rather than handing shoppers actual cash back at the end of a large overage transaction, the commissary will limit cash back to $25. Anything over that will be put on a commissary gift card.

*Does anyone extreme coupon at the commissary?
*Should the commissary be allowed to crackdown on this even if they get reimbursed by companies?
*Do you think it is best for the change?

Below is the new directive about couponing:
http://www.commissaries.com/inside_deca/publications/directives/DeCAD40_6_PC_3.pdf
by on May. 17, 2012 at 1:38 PM
Replies (21-30):
natalias925
by on May. 18, 2012 at 9:22 AM
I would hate this.
We are looking at being stationed somewhere 2.5 hours away from the com. In europe. Because we would be so far I would only visit it once or twice a month. I have a large family so would NEED to stock up as much as possible.
Ststeside commiSsary has a call in policy and they will special order amounts and items for you if you need them to. I'm not sure if they do it OCONUS but they do it here mostly for reservists and guard.

Quoting Bird16_J:

See that's what freaks me out if we get Germany -_- I HATE when it happens here but I just run to another store get it and call it a day. But over there it's a bit more difficult to do that. And people like that really piss me off and makes me wanna slap 'em stupid! And I'm like you I have a few extras of the stuff I KNOW the kiddo's go through (like ketchup) but I couldn't imagine having 50 bottles of the crap lol

Quoting Livinwith3boys:

Being overseas, I am happy about this!! I am sick of our commissary being out of something just b/c some couponer had to buy 50 to make 5.00....we can't just go on the economy and get it somewhere else, so it is beyond frustrating!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kari0405
by on May. 18, 2012 at 10:59 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm not a "extreme" couponer, but If I'm lucky I can save between $20-$30 at the commissary when I do my big shops.  But someone recently stole my 3-ring coupn binder that I've have worked on for over a year to accumulate and organize.  It had well over $500 in coupons.  I just hope that the "crazy couponers" don't ruin it for the rest of us who r just trying to save a few bucks, no get any extra back.

SierraLynn
by Just Me on May. 18, 2012 at 11:01 AM
Yeah, no one has any business clearing out an entire product from a store just because they can. There is no need for it and other people lose out on a deal, or even just a product they need.

Its selfish and horading. Nothing else to it.
Quoting natalias925:

Why? Because they make money...

Let's say mustard is .50 at com.

They have a 1.00 off coupon.

Buy 50 bottles make 5.00 buying it.

Keep 5 or 10

Stack up enough mustard and other things you make money on and have a yard sale when your house gets too full. Sell those mustards for .50 more cents.

That's 10 bucks made on mustard.

I like to go to yard sales and have seen a TON of this going on. Extreme couponing has shifted to a for profit business.

Quoting SierraLynn:

Extreme couponers freak me out. Why in the world would you need 30 bottles of mustard in the first place? Bunch omf horaders, except for the very few who donate a lot of their extra.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
barrelracer1699
by Chel on May. 18, 2012 at 11:04 AM

I hate the ones that clear a shelf. I do have an extreme couponer. She has been contacted by the show but wont do it because she wants it on her terms and not to bend the real rules of the store for it. She calls ahead to the commy to order what she wants so she does't clear the store.

GraceHudson
by on May. 18, 2012 at 11:13 AM
bump

Mrs.Miller11
by on May. 18, 2012 at 11:22 AM

I never understood those crazy people. First of all, for me personally at least, I almost never find coupons for stuff I actually use. Its usually cheaper for me to buy the generic version that to buy name brand with a coupon. Second, they buy tons of shit that will expire before they get to use it or buy shit that their family will never use anyway. What a waste.

I think stores, the commissary included, should have even stricter rules than what they are proposing.

Bird16_J
by on May. 18, 2012 at 1:53 PM

See that's ok to stock up on if you're not close to a commissary and have a bigger family. It's just the crazies that have like four people and have enough food for a damn army lol And that's cool that they have a call in policy. I never knew about that. Learn something new every day lol

Quoting natalias925:

I would hate this.
We are looking at being stationed somewhere 2.5 hours away from the com. In europe. Because we would be so far I would only visit it once or twice a month. I have a large family so would NEED to stock up as much as possible.
Ststeside commiSsary has a call in policy and they will special order amounts and items for you if you need them to. I'm not sure if they do it OCONUS but they do it here mostly for reservists and guard.

Quoting Bird16_J:

See that's what freaks me out if we get Germany -_- I HATE when it happens here but I just run to another store get it and call it a day. But over there it's a bit more difficult to do that. And people like that really piss me off and makes me wanna slap 'em stupid! And I'm like you I have a few extras of the stuff I KNOW the kiddo's go through (like ketchup) but I couldn't imagine having 50 bottles of the crap lol

Quoting Livinwith3boys:

Being overseas, I am happy about this!! I am sick of our commissary being out of something just b/c some couponer had to buy 50 to make 5.00....we can't just go on the economy and get it somewhere else, so it is beyond frustrating!

DizneyMomma2001
by on May. 18, 2012 at 2:29 PM

I can understand wanting to keep extra's of things you would actually burn through in a period of time (toilet paper being one item).  However things like chocolate, BBQ sauce and a few other condiments have experation dates on them.  Typically I don't buy more then 3 bottles of any condiment at any given time because we don't burn through them fast enough.  It's just odd to me to have that much stuff taking up needed space in your house!

.oOMellyOo.
by Silver Member on May. 18, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Ehh, I disagree. While I don't *LIKE* shelf clearers. I am guilty of doing it a few times. Not for me, not to make money, but because we have a food bank near us that my DD's girl scouts work sometimes.  I've had a few money makers when buying pasta at our local grocery store and I bought all of it, and given the chance to help another family in need, I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Quoting SierraLynn:

Yeah, no one has any business clearing out an entire product from a store just because they can. There is no need for it and other people lose out on a deal, or even just a product they need.

Its selfish and horading. Nothing else to it.
Quoting natalias925:

Keep 5 or 10

Stack up enough mustard and other things you make money on and have a yard sale when your house gets too full. Sell those mustards for .50 more cents.

I like to go to yard sales and have seen a TON of this going on. Extreme couponing has shifted to a for profit business.

Quoting SierraLynn:

Extreme couponers freak me out. Why in the world would you need 30 bottles of mustard in the first place? Bunch omf horaders, except for the very few who donate a lot of their extra.

anchorgurl
by Silver Member on May. 19, 2012 at 7:15 AM

Okay, that's kind of bizarre....selling condiments at a yard sale.  I'm a little freaky about how/where my food products are stored and where they come from.

In the end, stores will enact strict policies about coupon redemption and this practice will fade away.  I don't use many coupons because they're mostly for foods that are highly processed.   

Quoting natalias925:

Keep 5 or 10

Quoting SierraLynn:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)