Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

School for kids while we wait for housing? Help!

Posted by on May. 22, 2012 at 1:44 PM
  • 11 Replies

When something new and BIG is happening in my life, I can think of nothing else.  When my DH came home and told me we had soft orders for Fort Knox, I was thrilled.  It's about three hours from family, and we've been praying for a PCS there for a LONG time.  It struck me, though, that we would be moving right around the beginning of the kids' school year, and that if we are stuck on a waitlist for housing, we will be switching them from one school to another within a matter of months.  I really don't want to do that, and we can't afford to live off post in KY because our BAH is WAY lower there than here in GA.  There is no wait for housing if we want to go to the older, renovated housing, but I'm bent on trying to get into the newer housing.  My boys NEED a fenced-in back yard to play in.  They haven't had that since they were too young to enjoy it, and the move is going to be hard enough for them without that perk.  Knox doesn't offer temporary lodging, and if we were to stay in even the cheapest motel, we'd run out of money pretty fast.  I've never signed a short-term lease for an apartment, but I imagine it's expensive, and it just seems like so much hassle and expense to move our things and then just move them again!  (We were planning on doing a DITY.)

My question, for those who have experienced a similar situation, is this:  If we are on a waitlist for a particular neighborhood on post, is there any way we can enroll our kids in the school they will be eligible for once we move?  What did YOU do for your family and kids while waiting for housing?

Thanks!

Amanda

by on May. 22, 2012 at 1:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom2jessnky
by Dedi on May. 22, 2012 at 1:49 PM
1 mom liked this

If you enroll them into one school (say for wherever you're staying) they're grandfathered in for the whole year so you wouldn't have to switch the school if you didn't want to.

I've never dealt with this situation so I don't have any real answers.

MJSumrall
by on May. 22, 2012 at 1:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Have you considered homeschooling so that you won't have to deal with this situation ever? It's more affordable than people realize.

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on May. 22, 2012 at 2:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Depends on the school system and I don't know for there.  HERE, you wouldn't be able to.  It would be based on where you were residing.  If you ended up in an apartment that is not in the schools zone you could not go there.

Again - it depends on the system as everyone seems to be different.  Call the school and see what they say...

SierraLynn
by on May. 22, 2012 at 2:11 PM
2 moms liked this
We just came from Knox. Look up Network realty and talk to Nancy or Karen. They will do what they can to help you out. We lived in Vine Grove and loved it there. There are tons of people of all ranks that live off post there. Elizabetown is expensive, and that may be what your seeing. check out Vine Grove, Flaherty, Brandenburg. A kit of places there don't really have the fenced back yards but its country living.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Demanda83
by on May. 22, 2012 at 3:18 PM
1 mom liked this

MJSumrall, I have loads of admiration for mothers who homeschool.  I know several whose creativity and devotion to their childrens' education just blow me away!  I just don't think I have the patience for it!  If my kids were to complain as much about all of their work as they do just about their homework, I'd be in a straitjacket after a week!  :)

SierraLynn, I did look at some houses online... we were told Radcliffe is a bad area, so I looked at a lot in Elizabethtown and Vine Grove.  After doing the math, though, my DH and I realized that our decrease in BAH and increase in rent were going to be too great a financial strain on our family.  I was really surprised how big a difference in BAH we will be getting when we move!  :(  I'm just grateful to be eligible for the newer housing this time around.

Jas, thank you for suggesting I call the schools.  I was waiting on an answer back from housing, but the direct way proved much faster!  For anyone else who is interested to know, Fort Knox DOES allow children to register and attend school on post.  They go to the school they will belong to when they move.  I think we're going to try to find an apartment that leases monthly and just commute to work and school until we move on post.  I feel so relieved to have a plan!  Thank you, ladies!  Maybe I can sleep tonight!

beerebelly
by on May. 22, 2012 at 3:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I had the same concerns. Living somewhere for a few months before housing is available. The kids would go to one school, then have to switch to base. So I decided to just stay residing out in town so the kids didn't have to switch. I totally understand why it is frustrating.

cocoroo
by Coco on May. 22, 2012 at 3:25 PM
1 mom liked this
Glad you figured it out. We always live off post, so I haven't had to deal with that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dani_Lynn
by on May. 22, 2012 at 3:46 PM
We just enrolled her in the school closest to temp lodging since we didn't know what neighborhood we would be in. Plus she went to SAS for before/after school care, and regardless of where we lives would still be busses to/from school from there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
violinjewel
by Julia on May. 22, 2012 at 6:32 PM
Haven't been in that situation, but good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
InMediasRes
by on May. 22, 2012 at 7:05 PM

That's the exact reason I started homeschooling in the first place --no worries about switching schools every couple of years or trying to line everything up just right with the school calendars that vary from state to state.

Quoting MJSumrall:

Have you considered homeschooling so that you won't have to deal with this situation ever? It's more affordable than people realize.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN