Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Birth Centers?

Posted by on May. 26, 2012 at 2:32 AM
  • 7 Replies

Okay... So my husband and I plan on trying for our 2nd baby when we get to Fort Sam Houston in September. My first was born in a hospital and everything went great, but I'd REALLY like to do it naturally next time. I feel like I have looked everywhere for a birth center or a CNM that is covered by Tricare, but I can't find ANYTHING! Does anyone know of a birthing center near Fort Sam in San Antonio or a CNM that can do a home birth if necessary? Also, I can't find much about what Tricare covers regarding maternity. Thanks!

by on May. 26, 2012 at 2:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
JerseyAirGurl
by Ada on May. 26, 2012 at 7:58 AM
Not sure... I'm stuck delivering at Fort Belvoir... Hope someone here can help.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
barrelracer1699
by Chel on May. 26, 2012 at 8:18 AM

I don't know much, although I wanna say I have heard that Tricare and home births are very rare. GL and hope you can find some answers soon!

usmclife58
by Nikki on May. 26, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Bump for info

MrsMWF
by on May. 26, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Tricare covered my 2 out of hospital births (1 birth center, 1 homebirth) but I've heard others aren't so lucky. We had Tricare Prime Remote at the time and lived in Ohio. Now that I'm in Florida, I don't think it would be covered with Tricare Prime. If I were to get pregnant, which we definitely are NOT planning, I would definitely pay out of pocket for a homebirth.

lilnena98
by on May. 26, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Bump for info

violinjewel
by Julia on May. 26, 2012 at 11:49 AM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SlapItHigh
by Gold Member on May. 26, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Here is the Tricare Maternity Fact Sheet which tells you what they cover for Birth Centers and "at home births" - http://www.humana-military.com/library/pdf/maternity-care-fs.pdf

HTH!  I paid for my homebirth out of pocket but it was worth every penny :).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)