Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Son Leaving for Army Basic Training Fort Jackson, South Carolina.

Posted by   + Show Post

My son Graduates High School June 1, 2012 and Leaves for Basic Training June 18th. 

I would love any advice you could share with me. 

Thank You,

wendy

by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 1:15 AM
Replies (11-18):
SierraLynn
by Just Me on Jun. 3, 2012 at 7:44 AM
Everyone in my platoon got a special pt session, while the drills got like right in our faces while they ate the food... My parents "didnt think about it" when they sent it. Psh. Lol.
It wasn't the only time it happened in our platoon. A couple others got food and candy in the mail as well.

Quoting brittonJ:

What happened?

Quoting SierraLynn:

Welcome! I went to basic there!

Write lots of letter. For the love of god, don't send food. My parents did... :/

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PrincessZelda89
by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 3:20 PM
I went to Fort Jackson back in 2009. :) write him letters! Letters are gold in bct. You CAN send care packages to him, but don't send food. Send him black pens, paper, envelopes, stamps, body wash. Things like that. We had people receive care packages all the time. They had to open it in front of everyone (mainly the drill sergeant) , depending on the drill sergeant, we were allowed to have the candy someone sent...but I wouldn't just in case. There were a few rare times someone had to do pushups for treats sent to them. Usually on Sunday afternoons, we were allowed to have our phones for an hour. If he is on an ftx on a Sunday, he will not be able to call you. All in all, it is not that bad there. :) good luck to you, and him!
DixieL
by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Quoting LOswald0314:

Write him lots of letters when you get his address.  You won't hear from him until about a week in and it will be a short call, just to give you the address. You'll also get a packet of info sent to you.  When my husband was there he got to call every sunday for about 10 minutes.  Just be positive and supportive.

Even though I have only had one relative in the service My nephew was in the Marines, but not during war time I agree with you. I have also heard of care packages

2012ArmyMom
by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 4:32 PM

I'll be going thru the same thing in Sept. My daughter ships out Sept 18 to Ft. Sill.  From the adivce from the previous people...it is basically the same that I have been told also. 

Quoting wendyrezvani:

My son Graduates High School June 1, 2012 and Leaves for Basic Training June 18th. 

I would love any advice you could share with me. 

Thank You,

wendy

hellomilla
by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 5:10 PM
My step dad and a family friend both did basic there and refer to it as "Relaxin' Jackson". They both said they had pizza parties and got to call home frequently. However, dont be worried if you dont hear from him. No news is good news. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lindsay122001
by Member on Jun. 6, 2012 at 5:23 PM
1 mom liked this

I went there. For ever letter my family sent I had to do 10 push-ups to get it....as a joke my mom got EVERYBODY involved and I recieved 380 push-ups worth of letters lol I will never forget that! lol Took a long time to get them all :)

EmDinger
by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 5:29 PM

YAY, I went to Basic at Ft. Jackson too. Started Basic June 17th 2008. 

When you mail him stuff, mail him the Sunday full color comics from the newspaper, it was my very favorite letter I got the whole time.

Jackson is easy, esp. summer rush (June - Aug) it will  be full of girls too, 50/50, in each plt. He will be just fine.

About 2 or 3  weeks before the graduation  send something nice to help with blisters, b/c he will have TONS form doing the long ruck marches at the end. 

Food is pretty good at Jackson too. Oh yeah make sure he has some money like 100 - 150 on a debit card, bank account info to set up direct deposit, and teach him how to do laundry!! Don't wanna do the green socks with the white socks (trust me) when they are still new. 

Umm, Make him you tube and watch how to make hospital corners on a bed, that is really good to know before going too. 

I don't really have advise for you other than trust that he can do it. 

Make sure he knows 100% without a doubt the drill sergents job is to break you and re-make you into a better person, go with the flow, follow directions, do your best and then do more.. And he will be FINE!!

EmDinger
by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 5:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh yeah and COUGH DROPS are CANDY in basic!! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)