Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

I'm new here. ?'s bout Camp Casey

Posted by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 5:15 PM
  • 14 Replies
We are currently at hood and have been here almost 2 years, and now we have orders to camp Casey south Korea. We have 2 babies 1 on the way, and a boxer. What are our chaNces of going over before nov, and taking our dog???
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 5:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JerseyAirGurl
by Ada on Jun. 2, 2012 at 5:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Never done an overseas PCS and most likely never will... bump for info thou.

sodsoldierwife
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 7:05 PM
My DH was stationed at Camp Casey...I'll ask him when he wakes up, about it. Anything specific you want to know?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tish_Hughes
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 7:22 PM
Casey? Ooh, probably gonna suck for your husband.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Skyy.hood
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 10:43 PM
Why would that suck for him?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Jun. 2, 2012 at 10:50 PM
Are his orders accompanied?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tish_Hughes
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Quoting Skyy.hood:

Why would that suck for him?

Because if I'm not mistaken, Camp Casey is Area 1. Korea is divided into 4 areas. 1-4. 1 is up north, 4 is down south and 2 & 3 are in the middle. Area 1 is where most of the infantry/combat arms units are. They go to the field a lot up there. Do a lot of training and stuff like that because they're closest to the DMZ. My ex was in Casey and he said they would do 30 day FTXs. I was in Area II (Yongsan). It was AWESOME!! But yeah, it's just a bunch of "real" army stuff cause they're the first line of defense against the North.

pittawadda
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 11:59 PM

So as everyone who says they are going to Korea, I have to ask...

Are you on his orders? Does he have a command sponsorship for you? Or is it unaccompandied like they usually are?

sodsoldierwife
by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 8:03 AM

I asked my DH about Casey, because he was stationed there for nearly 2 years (before we were married). It may have changed, but he didn't think Casey was capable of housing families because of 1) it's location and 2) what all they do there, since it's largely infantry based. But it's been several years since so things could have changed! ::shrugs:: 

I would assume, just like any other OCONUS duty station, the families would have to be command sponsored. I don't think there is any way around it. Unless of course, they foot the entire move by themselves! But who would do that? YIKES! LOL

Quoting pittawadda:

Are you on his orders? Does he have a command sponsorship for you? Or is it unaccompandied like they usually are?

sodsoldierwife
by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 8:18 AM

To the OP

As far as going over there before November, that all depends on what his orders read. Are they allowing this as an accompanied tour or not? Have you started your EFMP screenings (just in case)..you'll need command sponsorship to go with him. As for the dog, I have no idea what conditions Korea has as far as bringing in foreign animals, but my DH was/is under the impression that you couldn't bring animals with you to Korea. Or at the very least, if you could, you would have a hard time finding a place to live off/post if there is no available housing on post. 

Casey is SMALL. It's close to the DMZ and about a 2hr train ride to Seoul. DH said that he remembers the Command Sponsored tours were typically reserved for the senior enlisted and the Command themselves. But it's not uncommon for spouses to get CS, it can just take a long time. 

If you plan on going (or want to go) you'd better start your stuff now! It CAN take forever to get all the proper paperwork done!

Skyy.hood
by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 9:56 AM
They are accompanied. We are doing our travel appointment Monday.

Quoting pittawadda:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN