Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Advice please

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 6:09 PM
  • 10 Replies
My husband just received orders we will be calling Ft Carson our new home. Any tips on moving and making it as easy as possible.... We have a 3 month old and a dog. Thank you for any advice
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 6:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
afwifey4510
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 6:45 PM
Start going through your stuff now so you know what to keep and what is junk. Research areas and prospective houses, and i believe you get allotted amount of hours for childcare for in and out processing bases (they do that here anyways) so you won't have a baby under foot.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
easton20
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 8:43 AM
Thank you so much for the advice :) I also know we are leaving on post I am not looking forward to the wait list and living in a hotel :( any advice for that?
vintage-misha
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 8:47 AM

We are AF but because Hubby was stationed at Cheyenne Mountain we were able to live on Carson. It's very family oriented and they always had family stuff going on. If I remember correctly though it's a rapid deploy base, always coming and goings. I live in CO for 12 years or so and I would love to get back there when he retires.

violinjewel
by Julia on Jun. 10, 2012 at 10:14 AM
We're not down there, but we live in CO, and will never live any where else. There is a lot to do all over the state, and especially the Springs. Good luck with the move.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
easton20
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 1:08 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you all so much!! I am very excited for this new place :)
dmfab09
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 10:11 AM
1 mom liked this
We really liked it there, just felt like we barely spent any time there. How long is the wait list? We rented off base there and loved it. You may want to consider it, especially with a pup. Downsize your things if you have a lot of stuff you don't really need/use. You might find this link helpful: http://www.military.com/money/pcs-dity-move . Good luck!
NevaehAndAjsMom
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 10:15 AM
1 mom liked this

if you want to live on post. call now and get put on the waiting list. if not call and ask for reliable rental companies in the area and check out their sites for rentals. throw out everything that you arent positive you want to keep.

easton20
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 8:47 PM
Thank you all:) well as of right now I was told I can't get on the wait list till my husband reports on the 10th of July. I pretty much went through everything :) I am just nervous about the living situation.
InMediasRes
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Keep saline drops in your diaper bag. Colorado has higher elevation than most other states (not sure where you're coming from), so the air is thinner and your baby's sinuses will dry out faster than normal. A couple of drops of saline in his nose every so often will help keep him comfortable until he adjusts to the new climate. A tiny bit of vaseline applied with a q-tip works too.

Do what you have to do (go to the gym, drink some herbal tea, whatever) to stay relaxed and stress-free during the move, otherwise the baby will pick up on your stress....and the last thing you need during a PCS is a cranky baby. BTDT, it makes everything 10x worse!

If this is your first PCS, attend the Smooth Move workshop offered by the base -they've got lots of great tips and will walk you through everything that needs to be done. You'll also get a handy timeline worksheet to help keep you on track. Good luck!

easton20
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 10:36 PM
Thank you :) I will look into the workshop were only about 8 hours away from Fort Carson and I will bring plenty of Vaseline :) my parents live very close to me and were right now waiting to see how long the waiting list is and we will go from there I think :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)