Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

MYCAA question..

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 4:55 PM
  • 13 Replies

So, I am doing the medical transcription editor course through career step using my mycaa funds.

I didn't not realize how time consuming this course would be.. and I do not think I am going to be able to finish it on time. And, I honestly don't want to finish it. Anyone know if you have to pay MYCAA back if you do not finish a course?

All I have seen about this is if you do not finish or withdraw from a course then you do not have to pay it back BUT, they will not pay for you to take an additional courses and will not pay for you to take the same course again unless you finish the course you are currently taking.

Has anyone heard or seen anything different from that info?

Thanks!

by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 4:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Jun. 12, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Call them.  Sucks to use this money and not finish what you start...

afwifey4510
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 6:40 PM
I believe you have to pay them back. I'm stuck finishing medical coding (almost done), and i hate it and will absolutely not do it as a career now that i fully understand it. I would say just suck it up and finish it, that way when you're done with this course you can get certified in a whole different program. MYCAA lets you switch career programs once, so keep that in mind. If you don't like it that much put minimal effort into studying, you only need a 70 overall for them to cover it.

Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RockinMama0608
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 9:52 PM

I used MYCAA a couple of years ago and was told that if I failed a course or withdrew, I would have to pay the funds back.  But, I would call to find out for sure what would happen if you withdrew or dropped out.  I would try to finish though so you always have some type of certification if needed. 

ctenny08
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Did anyone find out any additional information on this post?

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Jul. 5, 2012 at 12:33 PM

I asked UMUC just for giggles (I don't qualify for it anymore) and according to them - yes, it would have to be paid back and you would lose out on any future funding from them.

Say this only used $500 of a $4000 entitlement - you drop the class, you would have to pay the $500 and you would no longer qualify for the remaining $3500.

Quoting ctenny08:

Did anyone find out any additional information on this post?

KWnavywife
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 12:38 PM
I started a course and didn't finish it ( hated the course) and then started school with UofP. I call MyCAA and got a waiver
ctenny08
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 12:57 PM

I saw they had waivers...Like forgiveness and hardship. I dont have a hardship, nor do i want it reported to my husbands boss. I just hate the careerstep MT class. Also did you withdraw after they changed everything last year?

**Updated**

I Called MyCAA and all I have to do is get career step to give me a failing grade, and then I could use the rest of my money to find something more suited for me. I do not have to pay it back.

aluker05
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 4:04 AM

How would you go about getting them to give a failing grade if the course wasn't completed? I am having the same issue. And I am over in Germany and it's hard to communicate over the phone due to time difference.

besosfantasies
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 9:12 AM

Why not push through the course? Work as much as possible, nights if needed, and get that degree to have a better job?

You have to pay it back. But I have to say, it's a waste :(

Briyawna
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Quoting besosfantasies:

Why not push through the course? Work as much as possible, nights if needed, and get that degree to have a better job?

You have to pay it back. But I have to say, it's a waste :(

I'm actually almost done with it. I have like 1 1/2 module things to do and then the final exam.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)