Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Moving and allowances

Posted by   + Show Post

Can someone explain how all of this works? We will being going to my husband's first duty station (USMC) in about 4 months. We will likely have the military do the move and not ourselves. So what allowances do we get and how much of it is reimbursed and about how much of our own money will we need to do the move?

I've tried googling this info. I'm either looking in the wrong places or I just don't understand. 

by on Jun. 17, 2012 at 2:11 PM
Replies (21-23):
momtimesx4
by Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Quoting gunsgirl:

you do get DLA for your first move, only single members are not allowed DLA on first moves.

Oh yeah, was going off what I remember from my last levy brief.  Below is a copy/paste from the regulation (bold part was already there):

C. Special Categories for Which DLA Is Not Authorized. DLA is not authorized ICW a PCS:

1. From home or from PLEAD to first PDS unless the dependents actually move from the member’s residence to the PDS or designated place ICW the PCS (if the dependents do not relocate to the new PDS, or the member has no dependents, DLA is not authorized from home or PLEAD to the first PDS);

2. From last PDS to home or to the PLEAD;

3. From last PDS in one period of service to first PDS in another period of service when there was no ordered PCS between those stations;

4. When the member does not relocate the household (e.g., the member continues to commute from the same residence) NOTE: Household relocation is not limited to transporting HHG. A member may relocate the household and neither transport HHG nor move dependents (e.g., A member with dependents who leaves the dependents in place and moves to the new PDS taking some personal belongings has in fact relocated the household. This member may be eligible for a DLA at the without-dependent rate if GOV’T QTRS are not available at the new PDS. This item does not apply to a member on a PCS from home or from PLEAD to first PDS. See par. U5630-C1 with which this item does not conflict.); or

5. For a member with dependents, ICW PCS travel performed under the conditions outlined in pars. U5201- B1a through B1d, U5201-B2a through B2f; and U5201-B3b.

6. Local short distance moves IAW par. U5355, except as authorized in pars. U5630-B1, U5630-B2, U5630- B12, and U5630-B15.

dmfab09
by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 7:51 AM
My husband is clearing right now. They cover this in the finance briefing I think it is. He is getting dislocation allowance up front. He can take an advanced pay, but think hard about that since it has to be paid back. You get reimbursed for some things at the receiving duty station as well.
gunsgirl
by Silver Member on Jun. 21, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Quoting dmfab09:

My husband is clearing right now. They cover this in the finance briefing I think it is. He is getting dislocation allowance up front. He can take an advanced pay, but think hard about that since it has to be paid back. You get reimbursed for some things at the receiving duty station as well.

DLA, per diem and MALT never ever have to be paid back. these are all flat rate allowances. Well the only time you would have to pay them back is if you did not PCS after receiving the allowances.

TLE is the only use it or lose it allowance.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)