Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tricare Question - Back Pay

Posted by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 1:42 PM
  • 27 Replies

My boyfriend and I just found out we are pregnant and are due in February.  Due to the fact that we are not married, and are not necessarily planning on getting married right away just as a result of the pregnancy, Tricare will not cover the pregnancy.  One of my girlfriends told me that, once the paternity test is done and it's confirmed the baby is my boyfriend's (which I'm not at all concerned about), Tricare will back pay on medical bills paid during the pregnancy.

Does anyone have experience with this or know if it is true??  My boyfriend doesn't think this is the case, so I'm doing a little research!!  :)

Also - any suggestions anyone has on dealing with Tricare is appreciated - the same girlfriend told me they can be difficult to deal with sometimes!

by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 1:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
barrelracer1699
by Chel on Jun. 19, 2012 at 1:44 PM

I don't know about the pregancy. I haven't had any trouble with Tricare but I have heard than can be difficult to deal with! GL

JerseyAirGurl
by Ada on Jun. 19, 2012 at 1:47 PM
Not a clue. You could always call and just ask.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Krina
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 1:50 PM

I think your boyfriend is right. Unless you are a dependant of his I don't think tri care will pay for the pregnancy. After the baby is born he can put the baby on his insurance but I think pregnancy is all you. I would call to be sure though.

xxlilmomma09
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 1:50 PM
No; I have never heard of Tricare back paying for babies born out of wedlock. Sorry.

Also, if you are on state insurance, be careful. They could pursue your boyfriend for all medical payments.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LOswald0314
by Lindsey on Jun. 19, 2012 at 1:54 PM
I don't think that's true. When the baby is born, tricare will then cover everything for him/her, but not for your pregnancy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jes04
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 1:55 PM
1 mom liked this

I have a full time job and my own insurance, so that's not the issue, but we are just looking into everything to get a better idea of what we should expect financially during the pregnancy.  Him and I will be paying for everything together, so I'm not concerned about not being able to pay for the medical bills, but if Tricare will back date the insurance to cover the pregnancy, we aren't going to say no.  :)

Like I said, this is all new to me, so any information anyone has is GREATLY appreciated!!!! 

xxlilmomma09
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Well you got your answer. Tricare will NOT back date.

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Jun. 19, 2012 at 11:57 PM

They will not backdate anything and will not cover your pregnancy.  They will only cover the child once it has been established it is his (their rules)...

Quoting jes04:

I have a full time job and my own insurance, so that's not the issue, but we are just looking into everything to get a better idea of what we should expect financially during the pregnancy.  Him and I will be paying for everything together, so I'm not concerned about not being able to pay for the medical bills, but if Tricare will back date the insurance to cover the pregnancy, we aren't going to say no.  :)

Like I said, this is all new to me, so any information anyone has is GREATLY appreciated!!!! 

pittawadda
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 12:31 AM
Nope they won't. I had our son before we were.married but we got marries 6 months later. Our son was covered once he was in DEERS. My dh signed voluntary paternity paperwork at the birth.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blondie.mom
by Charity on Jun. 20, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Quoting LOswald0314:

I don't think that's true. When the baby is born, tricare will then cover everything for him/her, but not for your pregnancy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)