Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Which is better?

Posted by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 12:33 AM
  • 19 Replies

Is it better to do a government move or a DITY move? We will be moving to California from Virginia in a couple of months and we are not certain as to what kind of move to do. Thanks to anyone with info to share!

by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 12:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SarahColt
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 12:37 AM
We did a partial DITY from GA to AK and worked out well. Did the same from AK to NY. You can make a couple dollars sometimes, nothing crazy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
newmom_007
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 12:41 AM

We've had friends who have made up to $1,000 doing a DITY move so if you're up for it that's the way I would go.

blondie.mom
by Charity on Jun. 28, 2012 at 12:43 AM
We did a DITY, and made a nice chunk. We only moved 4 hours though, and this was before they changed the regs on weight and what not.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JayRo00
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 12:43 AM

So when you do a DITY move, then you can use the money to pay for the movers to drive the moving truck to the destination?  

sailorwifenmom
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 12:49 AM
1 mom liked this

With a DITY, they will pay you something like 75% of what it would cost them to move you. 

What we've done, and what I would suggest, is to do a partial.  Basically, you have them come pack up the majority of your stuff, but you also fill your car with stuff you want to drive yourself (like, for us it was the clothes and stuff we were taking anyway, but also things like photo albums, a cake plate that belonged to my great grandma, that sort of thing).  You get your car weighed empty and then weighed again with the stuff you're taking across yourself, and they pay you to move that stuff.

Personally, this is what's worked best for us when we've had the option.  You make a bit of extra money moving stuff you were most likely moving anyway, and you don't have to deal with all the packing, hauling it across country, figuring out where you're going to store it while you sort out where you're going to live, etc...

sailorwifenmom
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 12:50 AM

I'm not sure you would make enough to pay for movers, to be honest.  You would probably either end up paying out of pocket or having to drive it across yourself.  But, like I said, you would have to look into the costs of the drivers to be sure. 

Quoting JayRo00:

So when you do a DITY move, then you can use the money to pay for the movers to drive the moving truck to the destination?  

cocoroo
by Coco on Jun. 28, 2012 at 1:10 AM
We always do a partial DItY.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
asaffell
by Ashley on Jun. 28, 2012 at 1:14 AM
1 mom liked this

From what I heard, they changed everything with DITY moves and it's less profitable. We did partial DITY moves. I'd rather know that my stuff is covered in case they damange it, honestly.

FIREFOX1336
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 2:27 AM
To be honest they changed it all recently due to budget cut backs, I've heard of people that did dity moves and barely made extra, it's not worth the stress or the barely making extra to me we just pcsed in may and had them move us. It was easy and nice not to worry about it
usmclife58
by Nikki on Jun. 28, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Because of all of the changes, I would let them do it. Or maybe a partial DITY.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN