Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Officer vs. Enlisted housing *update with pics on page 3*

Posted by   + Show Post

Saw a lady write this on fb on 'moving house for the military spouse' What do you guys think:

I'm sure you won't have any problems. The military likes to spend lots of money providing ridiculously nice housing for officers, while enlisted folks, (no matter how hard they work, or how long they have been serving the same country officers do) live in below standard housing

by on Jul. 4, 2012 at 7:18 PM
Replies (31-40):
jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Jul. 5, 2012 at 1:05 AM

I think it really depends on where you are.  Here, for example - it's true.  Officer housing is newer and is "across the lake" whereas enlisted has been "renovated" minus the kitchens and bathrooms. 

It is what it is...  There's no point in getting your panties in a wad about it. 

cocoroo
by Coco on Jul. 5, 2012 at 2:23 AM
3 moms liked this
If you don't like it, don't live on post. Problem solved.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
asaffell
by Ashley on Jul. 5, 2012 at 2:28 AM

YES! It's INSANITY to think that an O5 should pay his BAH for the same house that an E2 does. It's pure idiocy.

Quoting sailorwifenmom:

And by the way, yes, there is crappy housing out there at some places (for all ranks) unless you are overseas where there is a base first rule for housing, if you don't like what's offered, you are welcome to live off base and find a place of your own that is much more in keeping with your standards.

And, frankly, there is the expression you get what you pay for. BAH is higher the higher in rank you go, so you should expect (and get) more for that money.

And this doesn't even take into account that actually, in a lot of places, Senior Enlisted and Officer (other than Senior Officer and Flag level) housing is the same, and in the places where it isn't, in a lot of those cases, the Senior Enlisted housing is nicer than the Jr Officer housing. I know that recently here there was a HUGE uproar because Sr Enlisted automatically get a min of 3 brms (regardless of family size) but Jr Officers do not - and as was pointed out by the people here - that's actually not a base policy but a military regulation.

natalias925
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 8:10 AM
Here lower e houses are nicer and newer then lower O houses.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DMartin21
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 8:50 AM
Wow, and what base is that on??

Quoting beerebelly:

This was the housing just completed for E-1 to E5 at our last base. I can assure you the officer housing did not have granite counters, wood floors, black appliances, and nice neutral paint colors.

dballa
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 8:53 AM

IMO I am a firm believer in RHIP - rank has it's privileges.  The higher the rank, the better your house should be - figure your BAH is higher, the higher rank you are.   If they lived off base, the officer would have a higher BAH, therefore being able to afford a more expensive house if they choose.  So take away that BAH and live on base, why should it be any different.  Sounds like this person has entitlement issues. 

WITH that being said, everyone should be provided adequate housing.

And no, my husband is not an officer. He's currently on terminal leave to retire after 21 years.  We've only lived on base once and even though it wasn't the greatest - it was more than adequate for us.

LuvAZmomma
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 9:34 AM
I know at our base they just completed new houseing that is for the higher ranking and they great houses but the ones the lower enlisted can qualify for are crap. Sorry to say but who ever said that is right. Most bases have way nicer housing for the higher ranking. But then again that is the reason I choose to live off base. The housing allowance can get us a way nicer place off base than on base
beerebelly
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 10:12 AM
1 mom liked this

Camp Lejeune. Heroes Manor.

Quoting DMartin21:

Wow, and what base is that on??

Quoting beerebelly:

This was the housing just completed for E-1 to E5 at our last base. I can assure you the officer housing did not have granite counters, wood floors, black appliances, and nice neutral paint colors.

beerebelly
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Congrats on his retirement. I hope you guys enjoy : )

Quoting dballa:

IMO I am a firm believer in RHIP - rank has it's privileges.  The higher the rank, the better your house should be - figure your BAH is higher, the higher rank you are.   If they lived off base, the officer would have a higher BAH, therefore being able to afford a more expensive house if they choose.  So take away that BAH and live on base, why should it be any different.  Sounds like this person has entitlement issues. 

WITH that being said, everyone should be provided adequate housing.

And no, my husband is not an officer. He's currently on terminal leave to retire after 21 years.  We've only lived on base once and even though it wasn't the greatest - it was more than adequate for us.

HollyBoBolly
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 10:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Definitely RHIP and I have no problem with that. The thing that irked me where I lived in Hawaii is that my husband (E-6) and I (E-5) and my child were stuck in the housing with all of the little kids who where like 20 and 21, freshly married, 1st house, and liked to party into the night and invite all of their friends over.  Why?  Because we only have one child.  While someone who has 3 kids as an E-3 moves into the nicer house, nicer neighborhood with more respectful neighbors.  Plus we paid 500 more than they did! Definitely not right.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)