Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

BAH rate of pay for spouse moving from duty station

Posted by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 10:41 PM
  • 25 Replies

I came here with my husband since he is going to the IDC school in San Diego. I am relocating with my kids back home. I keep hearing that we will get SD pay since his duty station is here, or, we will get NC pay since that is where I am residing.

Does anyone know which of these is correct. We looked online at the website for BAH pay, and it states that where ever the military member is, that is where the BAH comes from. But my husband's cheif says no, that it's where I am located.

Just wondering if anyone has any input on that. I have to move. Let alone the cost of three rapidly growing boys with emtpy stomachs, and bills, things are just really really tight living here.

by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 10:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 10:42 PM
Uhm I believe it's where he is stationed.
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 10:48 PM
Where he is stationed. I am in VA but we get San Diego BAH while DH is there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by Member on Jul. 6, 2012 at 10:49 PM
It should be based on where the military member is stationed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Even if he is in school? wld that still be considered a duty statioin?

by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 12:17 AM
For the Navy, it's at their discretion if they want to give it to you at the rate where he is or the rate where you are, a lot of it will depend on where the Sailor is, why you aren't with him or her, and which place has the cheaper rate.

Mostly though, it's going to depend on the Command. A lot of them go with the lesser rate though because they are tryinng to save the money.

Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 7:01 AM
Depends on if the school is considered a TDY or PCS. Odor is a PCS he will get BAH for the new DITY station. If it is just TDY he will get BAH for the DITY station he left to go to the school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by Silver Member on Jul. 7, 2012 at 7:35 AM

BAH is paid Based on Duty station for most members; if the school is less than 20 weeks ( a TDY) then the BAH will be for where the member is actually still stationed. If the school is longer than 20 weeks ( a PCS) then the BAH is for the school location.

there is a section in the JFTR that states in some cases the member can choose which BAH to receive- for the navy and CG these include medical issues, and arduous duty ships..

for the OP the BAH as long as the school is a PCS will be for the school location, however adding in that if you choose to live apart ( PCS) that you will not get seperation pay.

by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 10:39 AM

BAH is based on where the SM is stationed.

by Nikki on Jul. 7, 2012 at 12:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Why are you moving? Especially if you can't afford things? It will be cheaper to stay where you are instead of trying to pay for 2 households - most definitely if they give you NC pay.

by on Jul. 7, 2012 at 1:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I am moving bc 1. its rouhg here, 2. I am not so pleased with the schools here for my kids, they are not learning anything and it;s  not challenging them at all, 3. I can not get a job here, i have no support of family or friends here if in order to work. So if I get a job, I have to pay daycare, plus after school care for the older two kids and possibly before care. That just defeats the whole purpose of working to get extra income.

All my family is in NC. I will be staying with my mother until I get a place, and I already spoke with my old boss at a clinic there and working won't be an issue. They have a day care center there at the clininc for cheap since I would be working there. Even if I get NC pay if I was to move, he would be staying with some classmates here and just pay them a few hundred bucks to love there.

If it's true that it would be NC pay, I don't think I would go but, when I got to talk with PSD and navy relief, I will find out the answer and be able to ask all kinds of questions that my husband forgot to ask when he was there on Friday.

One cheif told him that, if he was to move out with some classmates, and I was to move, that would be the only way to get SD pay.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)