Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Your thoughts on parenting these days?

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 3:02 PM
  • 24 Replies

I think  ppl are making to big a deal out of how others parent. Each person parents differently. There is no one standard to parenting. These days everything is "Dangerous" to our children. I remember being allowed to be out all day till the street light came on. Or Being 5 and taking long road trips sleeping in the back of the my parents station wagon. Trick or treating alone with my friends by the time I was 7yrs. Honestly everything these days someone has an issue with. It makes me sad to raise my son in a world like this. I feel like he will be so sheltered and could even be persecuted for being a free spirit like how I was raised. 

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 3:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
4ever-SJ
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2012 at 3:07 PM
10 moms liked this
This world changed with the abductions and murders of Etan Patz and Adam Walsh. I'd rather be overprotective of a living child than the grieving parent of a dead one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
asaffell
by Ashley on Jul. 8, 2012 at 3:08 PM
4 moms liked this

Parenting has to adapt to the ways of society. It's silly to think that we can raise our kids the way our grandparents were raised because the world we live in has changed so much.

beemer00o0
by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 3:13 PM

It just makes me so angry that ppl criticize and critique others ways of parenting. I grew up on a farm I love eating meat. But I am not going to call someone a "Bad Parent" for raiseing their children as a vegatarian. My husband and I got into a long random talk today about all this. Like he said "Hey I still believe in taking my teen out fishing and letting him try his first beer at like 15-16 its bonding and how I was raised" I fully believe in protecting and watching my children. But I am not going to overally shelter them. That is what I believe. But, to each their own. 

4ever-SJ
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2012 at 3:14 PM
What do think is sheltering?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
beemer00o0
by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Honestly my son is so young right now that I have not really come across anything I would consider sheltering him. But watching the news everyday you see poor parents who get criticized for how they raise their children. When there are parents out there who do much much worse. I was recently at a family party and let my 1yr old son in the jumpy with his cousins. His father stood right at the door and watched him. Another parent at the party came up and was like "Um.. Dont you think he is to young for that?" No we do not hence why he is in there right now. We are watching him he is not in there unattended 

Quoting 4ever-SJ:

What do think is sheltering?

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Jul. 8, 2012 at 3:25 PM

And letting your kid swim with sharks is ok?  Please...  This is a totally different day and age from when we grew up.  Honestly, I don't know how I made it to adulthood with the stupid shit my parents pulled...

Monkiegomery
by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 3:29 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree with this but would also like to add something. I believe these murders opened the eyes of the world. Didn't really change it, just made it aware that these things do happen.

Quoting 4ever-SJ:

This world changed with the abductions and murders of Etan Patz and Adam Walsh. I'd rather be overprotective of a living child than the grieving parent of a dead one.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SierraLynn
by Just Me on Jul. 8, 2012 at 3:30 PM
Eh, I just do my own thing. I will watch my daughter outside, or away from the house. Because there are sick and twisted people out there. I can't say for sure what age I will let her go out and play with her friends in supervised because I don't know where she will be maturity wise either.
I am by no means a "helicopter" parent and my dh for damn sure is not.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pugsmuggler
by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 3:33 PM
Yup. I was just telling dh today it's a miracle I wasn't eaten by a bear or wolves or something in the bush growing up in Alaska. I don't think I could let ds run wild like that lol.

Quoting jas_momof2:

And letting your kid swim with sharks is ok?  Please...  This is a totally different day and age from when we grew up.  Honestly, I don't know how I made it to adulthood with the stupid shit my parents pulled...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BompsMum
by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 3:34 PM
1 mom liked this
I just parent how i want- guided by my own thoughts and feelings. I dont subscribe to a particular parenting style.
if i screw up my son so bad he needs therapy- i am paying for it so i better get my money's worth!! (Kidding)
There are a ton of mom's out there who love to dictate the 'right' way to parent- but to me its like they are trying to prove their own worth- and not necessarily out of concern for mankind
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)