Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Kindergarten

Posted by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 8:42 PM
  • 21 Replies

Hello Mothers,

My son is starting Kindergarten Next month. He is starting school in my home town. I'm scared that when we get stationed elsewhere my son will have a hard time adapting to new people. I just don't want this to affect his education. How do you guys deal with the moving from base to base? What do you do for your kids to let them understand that it is part of the career?

I'm still new at this military wife gig. Any advice would be helpful :)

by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 8:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BompsMum
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 8:48 PM
1 mom liked this

i havent had this situation yet (my son is only 1) so i dont have any advice, but i would love to see what others say because this is definitely something i have thought about. i am especially worried if we move to a school area that isnt the best (i know the area i am in now is known for not having a great school system) so i have already discussed with my husband the idea of private school or home schooling (god help my son if it comes to that lol)

Summerlion1123
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 8:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I dunno, i don't know if we handled it that well. But I don't like the schools around here anyway and the teacher caused my son a lot of anxiety. Next year we are just homeschooling. Then at least if we do have to move again (which its looking like we wont for medical reasons) there won't be a whole lot of adjusting to do in that department.

nonie8707
by Member on Jul. 9, 2012 at 8:54 PM

I hear you. Time flies by fast and then you realize, my son is growing up. I just dont want him to be afraid of making new friends. I dont live on base so I dont really have anyone to talk to about this. My friends here are married to civilians so they really dont know what to tell me. I am looking forward to more responses.

usmclife58
by Nikki on Jul. 9, 2012 at 9:19 PM
3 moms liked this

Kids tend to adapt easy... If we let them. I have noticed that parents tend to hinder the progress of kids with all the moving by having a negative attitude. You just have to have the mentality as "it is an adventure" rather than it is a big change. They will feed off your emotions. 

LOswald0314
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 12:52 AM
2 moms liked this
I was a military child and moved 5 times from kindergarten-HS. Kids are much more resilient than we realize. Was it tough, sure, but the best thing you can do is provide a good home life and he will be fine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Jul. 10, 2012 at 12:58 AM
1 mom liked this

We moved mid second grade, mid 6th grade and between 10th and 11th grade with my oldest.  He's adapted fine.

betsyfaith
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 12:59 AM
1 mom liked this
Kids are resilient. We've only been at one duty station since dd started kinder, and she has gone to a new school every year (they redistributed between kinder and 1st grade, we did a year of private, and now we just moved off posy, so going into 3rd at yet another new school). She's never had an issue adjusting
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cocoroo
by Coco on Jul. 10, 2012 at 1:03 AM

My children have always adapted well to moving.  They get used to it.  I actually think it is easy when they are younger.  We moved from Wa to Ga when my oldest son was halfway through his freshman year.  He hated Ga so much that he moved to NJ with his dad and finished HS there.  My oldest dd is starting HS in Sept and has told me that if we move while she is in HS, she isn't going.  This is from a kid who went to preschool in Ga, K-2 in SC, 3-5th in Wa, end of 5th-mid 7th grade in a different part of Ga, and now we are back in Wa.  She was always fine moving and making new friends until now.

Melbornj
by Melissa on Jul. 10, 2012 at 7:24 AM
1 mom liked this
I have to agree with the other Moms, your little one will do just fine. They are amazing at adapting, way better than adults.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fourlittlebees
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 12:47 PM

This will be the 5th move for us since my daughter started Kindergarten;  she going into 6th.  .  She does fine with it.  We **try** to schedule moves during the summer or long breaks in order to make the transition a bit easier but it doesn't always work out that way.  My kids have had to change schools due to local moves as well.  They adjust if you do not make a big deal about it, they won't either.  I can't say what it would be like with a teenager though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN