Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Military and suicide...

Posted by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 10:38 PM
  • 56 Replies

I read an article a LONG time ago that stated the military has the highest suicide rate of all professions and that if you were career military, you would know of at least 1 person to commit suicide personally by the time you retired. 

I didn't believe that until recently...

Anyone else?

by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 10:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
barrelracer1699
by Chel on Jul. 9, 2012 at 10:44 PM

That could be! I know of one but his wasn't because of his job it was his wife was leaving him.

adrianna1043
by Adrianna on Jul. 9, 2012 at 10:45 PM
I tried to talk a boy in high school out of it, but he did anyway. My husband and I do know of a person that has in the Army.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Elle.tea.22
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2012 at 10:46 PM
Suicide happens. I hate to be so pessimistic but I think suicide is like stds, it doesn't chose gender, occupation or age. Yes there are stereotypes and statistics but when this happens to you, it never should have happened, it only happened to people far away from you but today, it's your brother or neighbor or child.
marine.wifey
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 10:48 PM

I don't know anyone personally... However I would believe that years ago it was very popular with all the action that was going on overseas and the PTSD... Now though, not so much. I find that many of times it's due to the family circumstances not their job so to speak... But that's just my opinon.

Tabitha109
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 10:48 PM
I think a couple of people have at different commands my husbands been to.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
marine.wifey
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Well said. :)

Quoting Elle.tea.22:

Suicide happens. I hate to be so pessimistic but I think suicide is like stds, it doesn't chose gender, occupation or age. Yes there are stereotypes and statistics but when this happens to you, it never should have happened, it only happened to people far away from you but today, it's your brother or neighbor or child.

beerebelly
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 10:51 PM

My friend Katies husband shot and killed himself aboard Camp Lejeune 2 years ago. She is now a widow with 2 children and an advocate now for suicide prevention in the military. So for me and my husband, yes that is true.

ASigler86
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 10:52 PM
I've unfortunately experienced more than one suicide close to me;
both in the military and civilian sector.

I have read the statistics, but I honestly can't wrap my head around the specific "where/why" of it all. :-/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
violinjewel
by Julia on Jul. 9, 2012 at 11:01 PM
I haven't known anyone military wise to commit suicide. A teacher at my high school did though, but no military background.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cocoroo
by Coco on Jul. 9, 2012 at 11:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I think 2 guys in my dh's unit have killed themselves since we got here 16 months ago.  I also know of people with no military affiliation that have killed themselves.  I had a male cousin that tried 3 times and succeeded on the 4th try.  My dh's female cousin in Portugal killed herself.  I had a friend in HS.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)