Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Stationed in Colorado Springs?

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 11:18 AM
  • 14 Replies

I am a Marine wife stationed in Colorado Springs.  Its been hard since its more Air Force and Army here.  I am prior Navy.  Its been hard trying to make friends since we don't live on post...and because hes a Marine.  So I'm just looking for some other moms around the area :)

by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 11:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
I.R.Rachel
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 11:23 AM

I'm at Drum, but good luck! I hear it's beautiful out there with plenty to do! Have you tried any programs they offer on the Base? We're Army, so we have ACS. I'm unfamiliar with Marine... 

Reina13
by Reina on Jul. 16, 2012 at 11:59 AM

We  used to be at Fort Carson. It is beautiful there. Because there is so many outdoor activities and living in that area, Im sure you will meet people pretty quickly. It has been my experience that most people are very friendly there.

amonkeymom
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 12:47 PM

I'm not in Co Springs, but welcome to the group.

JulesFairy
by Member on Jul. 16, 2012 at 12:53 PM

I am in Colorado Springs. I am an army wife but I live right outside the air force base, since my daughter will actually go to school up by academy area. I have two little girls age 5 and 3. And am brand new to the are, only got here in June so if you need anything other than Fort Carson, Peterson AFB, Target or walmart I might not be able to help, lol.

cocoroo
by Coco on Jul. 16, 2012 at 1:02 PM
What does your dh being a Marine have to do with it being hard for you to make friends?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vintage-misha
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 1:03 PM
Apparently mixed species or something.

Quoting cocoroo:

What does your dh being a Marine have to do with it being hard for you to make friends?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cocoroo
by Coco on Jul. 16, 2012 at 1:08 PM
I guess. I have also learned from this that I should have never been able to make friends because I live off post and apparently you can only make friends if you live on post. I have been doing it all wrong.

Quoting vintage-misha:

Quoting cocoroo:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JulesFairy
by Member on Jul. 16, 2012 at 1:57 PM

I have been a military (army) wife for almost 8 years, and I have had a similar experience with some wives being very uppity in regrds to what branch they associate with. And as FRG leader for the company I have found that sometimes it is harder to make friends off post because you can get caught up in getting the perfect place and not realizing what kind of community you are moving in to. I am not saying its impossible but just because you have had wonderful friend making experiences doesn't mean all the bases are like that. Hell as a specialized MOS I have met seemingly nice people who loved us until they found out what my husband does, and then suddenly I have three heads.

Quoting cocoroo:

I guess. I have also learned from this that I should have never been able to make friends because I live off post and apparently you can only make friends if you live on post. I have been doing it all wrong.

Quoting vintage-misha:

Quoting cocoroo:

cocoroo
by Coco on Jul. 16, 2012 at 2:06 PM
My dh is in a special kind of unit and it doesn't inhibit my ability to make friends. Probably because I look for quality people who don't give a rat's ass what my dh's MOS, unit affiliation, or branch is. I really think people that have a hard time making friends need to look inside themselves and realize they might have a fault that is turning people away or they are looking to the wrong people to be friends with.
And, I have been a military (Army) wife for almost 12 years. Do I get a cookie?
Quoting JulesFairy:

I have been a military (army) wife for almost 8 years, and I have had a similar experience with some wives being very uppity in regrds to what branch they associate with. And as FRG leader for the company I have found that sometimes it is harder to make friends off post because you can get caught up in getting the perfect place and not realizing what kind of community you are moving in to. I am not saying its impossible but just because you have had wonderful friend making experiences doesn't mean all the bases are like that. Hell as a specialized MOS I have met seemingly nice people who loved us until they found out what my husband does, and then suddenly I have three heads.

Quoting cocoroo:

Quoting vintage-misha:

Quoting cocoroo:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JulesFairy
by Member on Jul. 16, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Sure a cookie and  sticker for hacking it this long. Being a wife isn't always easy,let alone a military wife with its own special sets of challenges, but its what we do for the ones we love. I am not trying to start an arguement or anything, I personally think military families in general should band together for the things we have in common rather than what makes us different, but it doesn't always happen that way.

Quoting cocoroo:

My dh is in a special kind of unit and it doesn't inhibite my ability to make friends. Probably because I look for quality people who don't give a rat's ass what my dh's MOS, unit affiliation, or branch is. I really think people that have a hard time making friends need to look inside themselves and realize they might have a fault that is turning people away or they are looking to the wrong people to be friends with.
And, I have been a military (Army) wife for almost 12 years. Do I get a cookie?

Quoting JulesFairy:

Quoting cocoroo:

Quoting vintage-misha:

Quoting cocoroo:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN