Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Do you think BMT and bootcamps are doing their job?

Posted by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 8:05 AM
Ada
  • 41 Replies

I had this conversation the other day with a recruiter about the quality of some people certain recruiters seem to pull in.  Well he did a good job explaining how we always need numbers and you don't turn away people who qualify... which I totally get.  He brought up the point how BMT and bootcamp is really meant to weed out those people who do not belong in the military. I went to basic almost 6 years ago and I know things have changed... I remember starting out with 60 females in our flight and our TI got our numbers down to about 23... and about 4 of those females were recycled into our flt. He made sure he weeded out people. 

Do you think that BMT and bootcamps are really doing their job?  What changes do you think should be made if any? 

by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 8:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SierraLynn
by Just Me on Jul. 19, 2012 at 8:21 AM
No, I honestly think they are not. At least within the Army, AR 350-6 needs a revamp. Meaning they need to go back to ignoring a lot of it. Not being able to call the privates "private" because its demeaning and downgrading to them. Not being to smoke the hell out of them, only up to 5 minutes of standard prt *stretches*, even for pointing a loaded weapon at drill sgt.

I mean, I could go on and on about what the hubs cones home with. He tells me a lot about it and how its fucking bullshit how they have to coddle and make these kids feel good about themselves.
He is Cavalry Instructor for new Scouts.

Every time they have a graduation he comes home pissy because he knows that they just set these kids up for failure when they get to their units, but there is nothing they can do about it. Because 350-6 is being changed and more enforced now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmclife58
by Nikki on Jul. 19, 2012 at 8:28 AM
1 mom liked this

No, they are not.

DvlDogWfe
by Stella on Jul. 19, 2012 at 8:32 AM

My husband also agrees that things have changed within the last few years. He is an instructor  here at Fort Lee. He hears and sees what now comes straight from boot camp. Some days he comes home sad at what he's seeing come from there.

mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Jul. 19, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Not with everyone no.

I was in the Exchange one day with DH...on a Saturday. All the recruits (not ALL but the ones that would be graduating in a week) were there on liberty. And we had this recruit behind us say to another recruit "They really need to close off this place to everyone but recruits on Saturdays, we're here on liberty and these people are getting in our way"

That little asshole wasn't even a MARINE yet and he thinks his superiors should just make way for him, because he's on liberty? I thought they beat that out of them in bootcamp? What had they been doing with this kid for the last 3 months?

We were in the main exchange, not the recruit exchange.

I would be fine with the exchange being closed to dependents on Liberty Saturdays from 9am to 12pm when the recruits are there (and most typically do avoid the place on those days/times). I'm not a Marine, and for me the Exchange is a privilege. But to Marines (and Sailors and AD personnel) ? No fucking way. Closing it off so that recruits can buy their monsters and their rock stars without having to wait too long? No. HELL no.

I've seen that really shitty entitled attitude from several marines, and they all haven't been in for very long (less than 4 yrs). But that's maybe 1 out of every 10. For the most part the Marines I meet are respectful, so for the most part Marine bootcamp is doing its job.

cocoroo
by Coco on Jul. 19, 2012 at 11:28 AM
No, they aren't. They are being too easy on them through BCT and AIT and are putting whiny pansies into our military. It is kind of scary. My dh hates most of the guys that come to his unit from AIT.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Zawifey
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 11:33 AM

No. They have brought in pieces of shit. You know, those people you shouldn't hand a firearm to. It's stupid how many will try and commit suicide in basic and somehow they still end up graduating. A good percent of every new group of fresh joe's is worse. They are undisciplined and have zero respect for authority.

m.smitty.xo
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Not at all. Everything has become too PC and DIs are afraid to do their jobs properly now. Especially in the MC, they sign up for the toughest bootcamp in the DoD, and then complain that it's too hard. I've seen Sailors and Marines alike who are so disrespectful to higher authority. It's saddening what it's come to.

jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Jul. 19, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Nope.  It's nothing like it used to be.  You'd be lucky to get 1/4th of these guys through the "old" boot...

TracyBryant
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 12:05 PM
No

thorntonwife
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 12:09 PM
My husband and I were told by two E5's in the army that in army bootcamp you have stress cards. That whenever a DI is in your face you can hold up a stress card and they are supposed to back off. I hope that is not true, but if it is that is sad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)