Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

FBI questioning DD about AF (UPDATE IN RED 8/1/2012)

Posted by   + Show Post

DD graduated from HS in 2011. A classmate of hers joined the AF and was sent to bootcamp in Texas in mid-January of this year.

Today DD received a phone call from the FBI requesting to sit down with her to discuss classmate's "character." She was told the meeting will last from 30-45 minutes and that a local FBI agent will be contacting her to schedule the meeting time and place. The agent who called her would not specify why they were checking classmate's references.

I was under the impression the FBI was a separate entity from the AF.  If this is correct, why would FBI want to check references of this young man after he has already passed boot camp? Wouldn't they check references PRIOR to training?  Do you have any idea what this may be about?

8/1/2012 UPDATE

Thank you to all who took the time to reply to my original post.  Yesterday DD was interviewed by an FBI agent who went to her place of work.  She said what was weird was that the lobby was full of people, yet when she got out of the elevator, he called out her name and waved at her.  How he knew which person was her is a MYSTERY to both of us! 

Anyway, they went to the cafeteria and the FBI agent said that DD was recently listed as a "close friend" and they wanted to ask her about the classmate.  She said the agent did not know much about the reasons why the classmate was being investigated but he felt it was because of the position in the AF the classmate was being assigned to do. 

SO, ladies, you all were right.  It was no big deal.  DD said it took about 35 minutes and she was fine with it.  Thanks again for all your replies.  I really appreciate it.

by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 3:14 AM
Replies (121-125):
sailorwifenmom
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 4:15 PM
I've gotten calls to set up interviews about friends and so has my dh. We've also had people interviewed about us (though they haven't done that for me for yrs - I got out of the military a long time ago). Most recently, they have contacted people for our son.

But it wasn't the FBI that did it (not saying they don't - just that it was different people who did it tor us). Are you sure it was FBI and not OSI (Office of Special Investigations)? A lot of times people don't hear about them too often so when they hear the acronym, their brain substitutes FBI, because it's similar and "well known".
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Navy_Wife08
by Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 12:36 AM

After dh got to a school (was just a bf then) I had to sit down with the FBI for an interview. It was for his security clearance. He gave a list of references and they check them out. So the classmate must have given your dds name.Were they good friends?

gatorswife1401
by Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 9:25 AM
I'm not AF I was Army. but yea to me it sounds like they are doing a more in depth check on him mostly for a security clearance.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SoTravelNow
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 12:57 AM

I would assume that the FBI is Homeland Security and they are considering him for a particular realm that needs the highest security clearance than his original clearance level...Just a thought...

epykpysmom
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 2:33 AM

Look for 8/1/2012 update at bottom of original post in red.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)