Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

For the love of God!

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 10:57 AM
  • 21 Replies

Why can't people keep an eye on their kid(s) or out of the road? I live on post (I don't mind it, we lived off post for a while, but found it was in our best interest to live on post), but I can not stand how the other spouses allow their children, ranging from 2-12 run a muck and what not around the neighborhood. Countless times I've had to come to a complete stop for a few minutes until one of my neighbors got off her ass to get her child out of the road(kid was on a bike and probably like 3-4) and I was the one who got the dirty look... I don't want to be that neighbor who calls the MPs on stuff like that, but it's not safe. What if I didn't notice the kid and hit her/him? And if one more little shit throws another rock at my kids' window...so help me... 

What should I do? I'm sick of getting the dirty looks, but for heaven's sake...

by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 10:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mlogsdon
by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 11:01 AM
There are people everywhere that do that. There are certain place I crawl though, their kids actually have run out in front of me after a ball before. The mother just sat out front watching. They are always in the road.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
I.R.Rachel
by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 11:04 AM

It drives me insane! I've had a kid 8-9 play chicken with me. I go the speed limit, 10MPH, tops and I get the dirty looks?! I just want to scream "GET OFF YOUR ASS AND WATCH YOUR DAMN MINIONS!", but I'm sure it'll start a fight and I chance getting kicked out of housing... /:

mlogsdon
by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 11:14 AM
1 mom liked this
I've had kids out there throwing rocks at cars, too. I actually stopped for that one, and got out to stare at them. They all took off. I didn't say a word. No parents that time, shockingly ;-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
I.R.Rachel
by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 11:18 AM

It's out of control on my block and I just wish I could find a way to help fix the issue, but these people think "on post"="safe", therefore, their kids can run free and that's simply not the case nowadays! 

sailorwifenmom
by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 11:30 AM
This was yrs ago and I remember this time I was driving along and came to a stop sign. Now, keep in mind, we were in an area where the yards were pretty good sized and this house was set a bit back from the road (so no "oops" with this - but this little brat TURNED WITH HIS WATER HOSE and SPRAYED INTO MY CAR!!!!!

Got my kids wet and got a cake I had in there wet. It was VERY lucky for him he didn't soak them (due to bad aim, not lack of effort or water pressure) - it mostly hit the door below the window.

I didn't even think - I just slammed it into park, got out, and started screaming at him. His sister ran in the house, and his mom came flying out all mad looking like she was going to go off on me. (I was yelling that he could cause serious damage doing that and if he EVER did it again I don't care who he is, I'm going to beat his butt with that hose and march him to security). Before she could even say a word, I yelled what her "delinquent brat" just did. Her whole expression changed, and without a word, she just turned around and yanked him inside. No "I'm sorry" to me or anything. I did hear him yelling that he was sorry to his mom though....

It's been years and I still get mad... (and yes, I know it was on purpose, because I had just turned my head towards him and saw him.)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
I.R.Rachel
by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Oh man, I would have flipped shit too! I'm just at a loss for what to do. I try not to be rude or anything, but it's getting out of control. I was thinking of going to the MP station and asking for the SOP on children's ages, what they can and cannot do at said ages, courtesy of neighbors etc and hand them out...hehe

Quoting sailorwifenmom:

This was yrs ago and I remember this time I was driving along and came to a stop sign. Now, keep in mind, we were in an area where the yards were pretty good sized and this house was set a bit back from the road (so no "oops" with this - but this little brat TURNED WITH HIS WATER HOSE and SPRAYED INTO MY CAR!!!!!

Got my kids wet and got a cake I had in there wet. It was VERY lucky for him he didn't soak them (due to bad aim, not lack of effort or water pressure) - it mostly hit the door below the window.

I didn't even think - I just slammed it into park, got out, and started screaming at him. His sister ran in the house, and his mom came flying out all mad looking like she was going to go off on me. (I was yelling that he could cause serious damage doing that and if he EVER did it again I don't care who he is, I'm going to beat his butt with that hose and march him to security). Before she could even say a word, I yelled what her "delinquent brat" just did. Her whole expression changed, and without a word, she just turned around and yanked him inside. No "I'm sorry" to me or anything. I did hear him yelling that he was sorry to his mom though....

It's been years and I still get mad... (and yes, I know it was on purpose, because I had just turned my head towards him and saw him.)

DizneyMomma2001
by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 1:49 PM
1 mom liked this

There are little twits on every base and have been for years.    I think one day you should go up to one of these mothers and explain to them that not everyone goes the speedlimit in your housing area and by letting their children play like this they are at risk for getting hit by a car.

KelissaMaye
by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 1:54 PM

I live on post too, and the woman across the street from me has like 800 kids, and they're all between 2-10. The big ones I dont have an issue with. They watch where they're going and keep and eye out for cars...the little ones though are ALWAYS outside unsupervised and they are always in the street. My next door neighbor comes FLYING down the road every morning after PT. One of those kids is going to get hurt one day, and the only person (well mostly) I will blame is their mother. =/

I.R.Rachel
by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 1:58 PM

While it will be their parents' fault, you damn well know I'd go down for it too. I just pray it doesn't take a tragedy to get them to look after their kid(s) better! 

usmclife58
by Nikki on Jul. 27, 2012 at 2:05 PM
3 moms liked this

We live off base and we have kids that do the same. One group refused to get out of the road (they were just sitting there!). I guess they expected me to drive in the other lane and go around them. Instead, I just layed on the horn until people started coming out of their houses. It has not been a problem since ;)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN