Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Kids and homecomings?

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 9:35 PM
  • 8 Replies
I am trying to prepare fir my husband coming home! It's going to be me and my 3 boys who are 4, 2 and 10 months. I know everywhere is different but thought maybe you guys would have some advice :)

Can I bring my double stroller? Are there bathrooms or should I put pull ups on the boys just in case we have to go all the way back to the car to use a kid potty? Snacks, drinks and entertainment are a must but is there anything else? Also, any other tips for bringing young kids to these things is very much appreciated!

by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 9:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
asaffell
by Ashley on Jul. 28, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Every homecoming is different. Ours had tables and food and a bathroom at the shop, but it was gross. We were bored to tears though because they were over an hour and half late.

JMmama
by Kara on Jul. 28, 2012 at 9:43 PM
I've always just gone down and picked up my husband at the airport. There was never any ceremony or anything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mandaschelle
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2012 at 10:17 PM

ENTERTAINMENT!!!!! My DD wasn't even a year old and bored out of her little mind. I would probably put pull ups on them just in case. There have always been strollers at our homecomings so that should be ok but be prepared to push it over grass.

I have been to homecomings/going away (sorry I get them mixed up in memory) at airports, the hanger, and a field. So venue has a wide variety.

DH is Navy aviation so that might make it different from you too

mlogsdon
by on Jul. 28, 2012 at 10:54 PM
Our homecomings have always been inside, at one of the gyms on post. So there were bathrooms for us. Snacks and drinks were there, but not for long- kids knocked them over pretty quickly at the ones I've been to. So I'd bring your own. Entertainment, as well. There was nothing. It will be noisy, and long, so make sure you have everything you need.

If you bring your stroller, just be prepared to wait for the crowd to move, it won't be easy to maneuver it through everyone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmclife58
by Nikki on Jul. 29, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Talk to the FRO or FRG leader or whoever is in charge of setting it up. Ours always has entertainment there, as well as drinks and bathroom, etc.

barrelracer1699
by Chel on Jul. 29, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Ours was at the post chapel. It was only a group of 8 comming back so crowd wasn't bad. No entertinment except all of us that were waiting. No refreshments at ours. My friend took my kids so they didn't have to wait and be bored and it was a suprise for them that mommy came to pick them up and here was daddy!

cocoroo
by Coco on Jul. 30, 2012 at 12:19 AM
I'm no help. The first two times my dh came home, he was Reserves and was a replacement both times so he came home alone. My dh's unit now they come home in small groups, so we just hang out ar the company until they get back.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CamoMamaof3
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 2:48 AM

We've always went and picked up my husband, so I don't think I can be of service, but even then, we had waiting to do!  Definitely bring entertainment and munchies.  (In our case, it was always stroller, entertainment, munchies, diaper bag, and HUGE sign that said something along the lines of "Welcome home, Daddy".)

Yay on your husband's coming home though!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)