Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

I'm getting a crash course in just how long things can take with the military.

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 8:13 PM
  • 13 Replies

My husband, who is still working with his recruiter on reenlisting in the Army, and I thought we were waiting around for a PFT with his recruiter's command. We waited two weeks until the recruiter could do a practice PFT with my husband, which was scheduled for the 8th, and then we were to wait an additional two weeks for the "real" one with command. He would then complete his packet and be sent to MEPS and you all know how the rest goes.

We got a phone call just yesterday from the recruiter saying she had it backwards this whole time. He has to do his packet and MEPS first THEN the PFT with command. We wasted almost two weeks when he could have been on to the MEPS stage of things and possibly done with it by now.

We didn't renew out lease because we thought we would be out of here by now so come September 15th, we'll have no where to call ours. We have a plan in place, thankfully, but I feel so silly for waiting all this time and not having a better plan B in place and for waiting for the wrong reasons in the first place.

Lesson learned! Welcome to the military.

I guess I am grateful that the backwards-ness was discovered now, and not two weeks from now as it could have been.

*sigh* Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers. We would really just like this part to be over already.

by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 8:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
krbooth
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 8:46 PM
Hurry up and wait :) we are in the middle of that too, waiting.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ABCs_mom
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Do you mean enlist not reenlist because if he is reenlisting he should not have to go to MEPS.

Apollos82
by Cassie on Aug. 7, 2012 at 8:58 PM

No, I meant reenlist. He was a Marine for four years, National Guard Reserve for 2 years, he's separated now, and is reenlisting with AD Army, not extending, and has a certain reenlistment code that requires an exemption from a recruiter's command, so yes, MEPS and PFT are both required. Sorry, I should have put this in the original post for clarification.

Quoting ABCs_mom:

Do you mean enlist not reenlist because if he is reenlisting he should not have to go to MEPS.

ABCs_mom
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Okay thanks for the clarification. I understand now and sorry you have to wait so much and hope things work out for you .

Quoting Apollos82:

No, I meant reenlist. He was a Marine for four years, National Guard Reserve for 2 years, he's separated now, and is reenlisting with AD Army, not extending, and has a certain reenlistment code that requires an exemption from a recruiter's command, so yes, MEPS and PFT are both required. Sorry, I should have put this in the original post for clarification.

Quoting ABCs_mom:

Apollos82
by Cassie on Aug. 7, 2012 at 9:02 PM

It's annoying...but I'm going to have to change how I let it all affect me. It's going to be our lives again for a while now. Might as well enjoy the ride! :)

Quoting krbooth:

Apollos82
by Cassie on Aug. 7, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Thank you. :)

Quoting ABCs_mom:

Okay thanks for the clarification. I understand now and sorry you have to wait so much and hope things work out for you .

Quoting Apollos82:

Quoting ABCs_mom:

krbooth
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 9:54 PM
That's how I'm trying to look at it. We've been hurry up and waiting for over a year now lol

Quoting Apollos82:

It's annoying...but I'm going to have to change how I let it all affect me. It's going to be our lives again for a while now. Might as well enjoy the ride! :)

Quoting krbooth:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gertrude_shea
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 11:02 PM
Im new to this hurry up and wait stuff but its sinking in pretty fast!!! Im with ya there we are still waiting for all the reenlistment stuff too : /

Quoting krbooth:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bird16_J
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 1:09 AM

I feel your pain to an extent! We're waiting on the list to come out so we can see what's available stateside. I'm hoping the flippin shit comes out soon or I'm gonna rip my hair out! lol Hurry up and wait gotta love it! lol Good luck to him hope everything works out!

UCFknight
by Bronze Member on Aug. 9, 2012 at 7:00 PM
My husband was active duty marine corps, got out, then a few months later joined the navy Seabee reserves, then we waited almost two years for his package to be aooroved! There was something wrong with it every time his recruiter submitted it, which meant returning it to our recruiter and filling it out all over again, which again, he would screw up on! Finally my husband reserve command got involved and assigned him an amazing recruiter. She had his package approved first time around. And we were in within six weeks.be careful with your recruiter, you may need someone who has a history of dealing with prior service Nd reserves. Good luck!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)