Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

How do you do it? 1st deployment

Posted by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 8:16 AM
  • 21 Replies
Its my first time to post in this forum. Im 25, 13 weeks pregnant with my first baby. Hubby is deploying soon for a year, and I'll be going through this pregnancy and the first 6 months of the baby alone. :( he is in the national guard so we dont live near any post, and I am a grad student so have no access to other military wives to sympathize with. Just wondering how you ladies did it when your hubbies left. I am really scared and dreading his departure. My parents dont live in the US and I plan to stay in school so I will just be staying here in PA with some classmates. Although they are nice, they just dont understand. They think having their bf live in another city is the same. I am already having some anxiety issues so Im considering counseling which my school offers to its students. 12 months just seems so long. :( I know most of you will understand and I hope you can share your experiences
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 8:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Aug. 8, 2012 at 8:37 AM
1 mom liked this

Don't dwell on it for one.  Stay busy for another. 

gatorswife1401
by Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 8:52 AM
1 mom liked this
My dh is a reservist so I know what you mean about being spread out andnot being on post. When dh deployed I just found things to keep me and the kids busy. I had met some of the wives during the family day and I would call or text a few of them. Best advise just try and stay busy. Facebook and skype with dh as much as you guys can
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
armyslpbaby
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Thanks. We have the yellow ribbon ceremony on Sunday so I'm hoping to meet other wives. I really hope he will have the time to go on FB and Skype.. and I will definitely keep myself busy, I guess its just the actual leaving part that will be really hard and painful. Also since this is my first baby, I'm just hoping the pregnancy will go smoothly. So far, so good. :)

Quoting gatorswife1401:

My dh is a reservist so I know what you mean about being spread out andnot being on post. When dh deployed I just found things to keep me and the kids busy. I had met some of the wives during the family day and I would call or text a few of them. Best advise just try and stay busy. Facebook and skype with dh as much as you guys can

CafeMom Tickers
velvetkitty
by Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 9:03 AM

Is there any kind of new mom groups available to you that you could maybe join?  I know it's not the same, but it could be a start.

armyslpbaby
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 9:05 AM

You mean in town? I never checked, but I could. I only live here coz of school so it's temporary, but thats a good idea. thanks :) 

Quoting velvetkitty:

Is there any kind of new mom groups available to you that you could maybe join?  I know it's not the same, but it could be a start.

gatorswife1401
by Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 9:05 AM
Yea for the departure I had my best friend drive up with us. It has hard I'm not going lie but just remember he has been trained well and before you know it he will be home. The yellow ribbon will have lots of info for you

Quoting armyslpbaby:

Thanks. We have the yellow ribbon ceremony on Sunday so I'm hoping to meet other wives. I really hope he will have the time to go on FB and Skype.. and I will definitely keep myself busy, I guess its just the actual leaving part that will be really hard and painful. Also since this is my first baby, I'm just hoping the pregnancy will go smoothly. So far, so good. :)

Quoting gatorswife1401:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Aug. 8, 2012 at 9:31 AM
2 moms liked this

What other choice did I have BUT to deal with it?

Not being snotty or snarky, but I seriously have always wondered what other option people think we had?

You don't know how strong you are, until being strong is the only choice you have.

Stay busy, don't dwell on, take up a new hobby, pick a project to accomplish while he's gone, etc.

armyslpbaby
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 9:40 AM
Thats a great way to put it lol. Yea I dont really have a choice. I love what you said, "You dont know how strong you are, until being strong is the only choice you have." I guess we'll just have to see what happens. Thanks

Quoting mom2jessnky:

What other choice did I have BUT to deal with it?

Not being snotty or snarky, but I seriously have always wondered what other option people think we had?

You don't know how strong you are, until being strong is the only choice you have.

Stay busy, don't dwell on, take up a new hobby, pick a project to accomplish while he's gone, etc.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
UCFknight
by Bronze Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 9:45 AM
1 mom liked this
My first two deployments were done in a similar way as you. I lived in Florida, my husband was stationed in Hawaii. I was finishing my degree, so I couldn't move there till I graduated. Try not to focus on the length of time. Take each day as it comes. create milestones for yourself( I.e. Baby arrives this time, family trip at 6 month mark, etc). This way you can look forward to all the exciting things you have while he is gone for the year. My husband missed both births of our kids due to deployment. Start mentally preparing yourself for that now. I had my mom and cousin as my coaches and they helped me by keeping me calm,and helping me to feel comfortable. Good luck to you and if you need any help with ideas for care packages, please feel free to contact me! Good luck!
barrelracer1699
by Chel on Aug. 8, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Basically what Mom2Jessinky said! Also don't dwell on him being gone and woe is me! Get out and do stuff, stay busy. No one knows how I made it through when my husband was deployed it went back to that we don't know how strong we are till we have o other option!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)