Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

home sick son

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 2:34 PM
  • 9 Replies

my son has been deployed to kwait. he has been in kwait since june 2012 i can tell at times he is getting homesick what advice does anyone have on how to deal with this? its his first deployment, first time out of the u.s. he is 19 years old.

by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 2:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Lizzys_mommy13
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 2:42 PM

My husband has done two tours to Kuwait. There isn't a lot for them to do there. Work out, swim if their base has a pool, maybe catch a movie if they have a theatre and sit around sweating when they aren't being worked into the ground. Try to send him care packages with pictures and things that will make him feel like he has a piece of home. When he calls, make sure to keep the "I miss you's" to a minimum and don't give any bad news unless its urgent that he absolutely has to know. I sent my husband little water guns to squirt at each other with. It was something fun for them to do in the heat. I also sent him letters at least once a week, pictures, and food that I know he loves and I knew wouldn't be ruined by the time it got to him. Skype was also great this last time around for my husband. It helped him a lot to be able to see everyone and know we are all ok over here. : )  

rodos
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 3:59 PM

thank you for the suggestions. we try to keep our talks good ones telling him all the funny things going on with the dogs. i think right now its the heat that is making him home sick he doesn't get out much due to the heat so that brings him down i like the water gun idea. thanks again and good luck to your husband.

SierraLynn
by on Aug. 20, 2012 at 5:11 PM
There is a lot more to do in Kuwait then in Iraq and Afghanistan. Have him start up a hobby to help occupy his time and keep him busy. It's only been 2 months, but if he keeps busy with something he will he fine. Don't let him get into the "woe is me" stuff. Encourage him and just talk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cocoroo
by Coco on Aug. 21, 2012 at 2:24 AM
3 moms liked this
I will be grateful if my DS gets 'deployed' to Kuwait. I would rather him be bored at the movies and swimming than getting shot at or blown up by IED's.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2Rylin
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 5:13 AM

I agree with the other ladies, it will get easier for him and just takes some adjusting to do. Skype is great and informing him of everyday activites will help him feel like he is part of things back home.

vintage-misha
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 5:37 AM

Right. Kuwait's like a vacation compared to the Afghanistan. 

Quoting cocoroo:

I will be grateful if my DS gets 'deployed' to Kuwait. I would rather him be bored at the movies and swimming than getting shot at or blown up by IED's.

tiesthatbind
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 8:28 AM

no shit ~ i have 2 sons getting ready to leave for Afghanistan ~ and i made a mistake this morning of looking at the page on fb for military honor ~ it had pics of men/boys who have died recently there ~ made my stomach drop 

Quoting vintage-misha:

Right. Kuwait's like a vacation compared to the Afghanistan. 

Quoting cocoroo:

jsr87
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Damn, I wish my S/O were in Kuwait! I accidentally read a news story about insurgent rockets making their way onto his air field the other day.

mustloveanimals
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Your son can take online classes while in Kuwait. He can do a lot that are 'just for fun.' And I think through AKO he can even learn languages with Rosetta Stone free.

Anneliese's mompuppy

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN