Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

A few questions about the Navy...

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 2:12 AM
  • 18 Replies

It is sort of a long story, but the end of it is DH's cousin's husband enlisted in the Navy and apparently leaves for basic the beginning of October. It sounds like (from what my MIL has said) he will likely be on a submarine. IDK. Anyhow, my husband is Air Force and his dad was Air Force, so neither of us knows anything about the Navy.

How long is Navy basic? What school comes after basic? Assuming he is going to be on a sub, what generally is that timeline like? Gone 6 months, home 6 months? Not that predictable?

I'm not looking for advice for them or anything. They wouldn't take it from me anyway. I'm just curious about general information. Thanks!

by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 2:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
USAFamily
by Melissa on Aug. 21, 2012 at 2:27 AM

I can't help- but literally the same thing just happened to us! Our Nephew joined the Navy and Dh and his brother are both AF. We feel bad b/c we can't really answer his questions.

cocoroo
by Coco on Aug. 21, 2012 at 2:30 AM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
besosfantasies
by Cori on Aug. 21, 2012 at 3:11 AM
Dh is Navy.. But hes a Seabee. Bootcamp was short of 3 months, then he went to A school and then Ecs school. The schooling depends on his rate.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JMmama
by Kara on Aug. 21, 2012 at 3:33 AM
So, if he leaves (just for the sake of argument) on October 1, he will be away for Christmas? Do they come home between schools? At what point would they pcs?

Also, please excuse my ignorance, but I have no idea what a seabea is. By rate do you mean job?

Sorry for the third degree! Thank you for the info!

Quoting besosfantasies:

Dh is Navy.. But hes a Seabee. Bootcamp was short of 3 months, then he went to A school and then Ecs school. The schooling depends on his rate.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TippyD
by Gold Member on Aug. 21, 2012 at 8:00 AM
1 mom liked this

navy basic is 9 weeks...  as for sub guys, he will go to sub school first and then whatever specialty school for his rate.  timeline varies on what sub he gets put on. they have different schedules... and rate means job... 

TippyD
by Gold Member on Aug. 21, 2012 at 8:03 AM

navy basic is in Chicago, weather isnt too bad before January, so your whoever*cant follow the description..havent had coffee yet*  will leave before winter gets bad... Sub school is in Groton, *not sure how long that is*  and then the next school can be anywhere from groton to san diego..not sure about holidays.. and he will move for his schools when they have a spot open for that school. 

cholita1978
by Member on Aug. 21, 2012 at 8:07 AM
1 mom liked this

After bootcamp, usually you go straight to A School, after that you get some leave/vacation and you can visit home. That's what happened in my case, I saw my family at the graduation from bootcamp, then after I finished my school I finally got to go home for a few days.  I don't know maybe things have changed now (I went to bootcamp 11 years ago :-)

nelopyma
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 8:11 AM

If he's going submarines, he'll go to Groton, CT, after basic.  Basic Enlisted Submarine School is 5-6 weeks, and then an A school if he has a rate (job).  As for how long he'll be gone, it depends.  Fast attack subs don't have a predictable schedule.  Deployments are typically 6 months, but they do a lot of in and out stuff... 2 weeks here, a month there, a few weeks home, etc.  Tridents are dual-crews... one takes the boat out for approximately 3 months, the other crew takes it back for a maintenance period when they get back and then takes it out for approximately 3 months.

TippyD
by Gold Member on Aug. 21, 2012 at 8:13 AM

its just Needs of the navy right now... and time between schools/location.. if there is any traveling to be done, he may get time between schools to visit*it counts against his leave though*  and if it is between boat and school it just depends on if they need a body on th eboat sooner or later..I know for my hubby*9 years ago* he got 2 weeks between I think... we got married, had our honeymoon, and then he left me with my parents to finish my semester.

Quoting cholita1978:

After bootcamp, usually you go straight to A School, after that you get some leave/vacation and you can visit home. That's what happened in my case, I saw my family at the graduation from bootcamp, then after I finished my school I finally got to go home for a few days.  I don't know maybe things have changed now (I went to bootcamp 11 years ago :-)

TippyD
by Gold Member on Aug. 21, 2012 at 8:14 AM

Quoting nelopyma:

If he's going submarines, he'll go to Groton, CT, after basic.  Basic Enlisted Submarine School is 5-6 weeks, and then an A school if he has a rate (job).  As for how long he'll be gone, it depends.  Fast attack subs don't have a predictable schedule.  Deployments are typically 6 months, but they do a lot of in and out stuff... 2 weeks here, a month there, a few weeks home, etc.  Tridents are dual-crews... one takes the boat out for approximately 3 months, the other crew takes it back for a maintenance period when they get back and then takes it out for approximately 3 months.

as well as there are gns that forward deploy out of a base overseas... they fly out, do maintanence and then deploy... 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)