Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Flying with little people.

Posted by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 1:24 AM
  • 24 Replies

Who has flown with their kiddos before? Whats the easiest way to do so? I'm trying to visit home with my little dude to show him off in his new and improved state :) He's 1, sitting with me rather than his own seat- DH will be away at training so it's just me and my son. I need to take at LEAST the carseat (it's a convertible, not infant carrier), stroller, and the essentials for the day. I'm planning to just bring the minimum of food/diapers for the flight and buy more when we land. But I'm trying to see what is checked for free, what I pay for, and what is done plane-side. Not sure if I have enough hands or patience to bring the pack-n-play or not, I have no idea what my family has available so I'm hoping I don't need it! 

by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 1:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
adrianna1043
by Adrianna on Aug. 30, 2012 at 1:36 AM
2 moms liked this
I would check my bags at the curb, on southwest bags are free. I would bring the play and pack, its gonna suck without it. Check the cat seat with the bags, and the stroller can go right up up the plane. It sucks, it really does. One kid shouldn't be too bad. Remember to bring a little bag of medicines just in case.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JMmama
by Kara on Aug. 30, 2012 at 2:08 AM

Never check a carseat. The way they are thrown around with the luggage can and does damage them. When I fly with my little ones, I try to have as much "gear" as I can waiting on the other side. I get a seat for each kid. They are more comfortable in their own space and it's safer. Also, that way the car seat can go right on to the plane and they can sit in it. I understand though it isn't always a financial possibility to get another seat. I would get (or have a family member pick up) a cosco scenera car seat from Walmart. They are about $40 and will ship for free (or at least cheap). Then, you can just leave it there and have it for the next time you fly out there. Stroller can go right up to the gate and be checked there for free. The pack n play is really up to you. I never bring one. I toted it around for the first couple of kids but they wouldn't ever sleep in it so I just quit lugging it around. The babies sleep with us anyway. If you bring it, check it with your bags. It should go for free.

Bring more diapers than you think you will need in case you get delayed. However, if you have an emergency, most airports have a travellers assisstance place that has diapers, bottles, general baby care things available for free or a nominal fee. Snacks, little toys, DVD player... all those are helpful. I always bring dum dum suckers. Most airplanes have a changing table above the toilet in the bathroom, but it is a tight squeeze and a huge pain. I try to change the diaper as close to boarding time as possible.

adrianna1043
by Adrianna on Aug. 30, 2012 at 2:26 AM
I've checked car seats lots, and they have always been fine. The Costco car seat is what we travel with also, its light weight and durable.

Quoting JMmama:

Never check a carseat. The way they are thrown around with the luggage can and does damage them. When I fly with my little ones, I try to have as much "gear" as I can waiting on the other side. I get a seat for each kid. They are more comfortable in their own space and it's safer. Also, that way the car seat can go right on to the plane and they can sit in it. I understand though it isn't always a financial possibility to get another seat. I would get (or have a family member pick up) a cosco scenera car seat from Walmart. They are about $40 and will ship for free (or at least cheap). Then, you can just leave it there and have it for the next time you fly out there. Stroller can go right up to the gate and be checked there for free. The pack n play is really up to you. I never bring one. I toted it around for the first couple of kids but they wouldn't ever sleep in it so I just quit lugging it around. The babies sleep with us anyway. If you bring it, check it with your bags. It should go for free.

Bring more diapers than you think you will need in case you get delayed. However, if you have an emergency, most airports have a travellers assisstance place that has diapers, bottles, general baby care things available for free or a nominal fee. Snacks, little toys, DVD player... all those are helpful. I always bring dum dum suckers. Most airplanes have a changing table above the toilet in the bathroom, but it is a tight squeeze and a huge pain. I try to change the diaper as close to boarding time as possible.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JMmama
by Kara on Aug. 30, 2012 at 2:29 AM
Even if they appear fine to the eye, they can get micro cracks in them which can cause them to fail in a crash. It's just like why you have to replace a car seat after even a minor car accident.

Quoting adrianna1043:

I've checked car seats lots, and they have always been fine. The Costco car seat is what we travel with also, its light weight and durable.

Quoting JMmama:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
adrianna1043
by Adrianna on Aug. 30, 2012 at 2:44 AM
True, I guess I never put that much thought into it. We have a traveling car seat, and we get a new one every year or so. I do know they damage the hell out of my stuff when we gate check it though. That pissed me off.

Quoting JMmama:

Even if they appear fine to the eye, they can get micro cracks in them which can cause them to fail in a crash. It's just like why you have to replace a car seat after even a minor car accident.

Quoting adrianna1043:

Quoting JMmama:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Aug. 30, 2012 at 6:33 AM

Don't check the car seat! Take it on the plane with you. Your son will be MUCH more comfortable in his own seat. Make sure you ask for a seatbelt extender to install it with. You'll need it so you can buckle/unbuckle it easier. (without it the buckle will be in the middle of the back of the seat and you'll tear up your hand getting it unhooked)

I'm SO glad that the one time I flew with my kids I didn't listen to the people that said to check the seats. Why? Delta 'delayed' my luggage, had I checked my car seats I wouldn't have had them at my destination. Plus like the other poster said, what happens to them when they get checked is equal to crashing them, so the seat is destroyed once it comes out the other end. Take it with you. Gate check your stroller.

Take toys, and snacks, a pacifier is good for the ears during take off and landing.

It's doable. Give yourself more time than normal for everything.

mlogsdon
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 9:41 AM
Even if I don't check his car seat, I can't bring it on the plane with me, I'm not buying him his own seat. Not something I can afford currently.

Thanks for the tips ladies- sounds like it might not be as hellish as I'd been imagining.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HaileysMom07180
by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 9:44 AM

i know one thing that works for dd is we always take 2 plastic cups.  when we start descending, we put the cups over my dds ears.  its a tip we got from an airline attendant. It locks the pressure in there so they don't get ear aches and then when they land, their ears just pop and they are good.  it kept my dd from crying when she was a baby.

Army-Wife0128
by Member on Aug. 30, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Check in your bags, carseat and pack-n-play. From all the times i've flown, i've really never had an issue with anything being destroyed unless you're traveling outside the US lol.  The stroller you can take with you until you board the plane and then they have you fold it up and leave it by the door of the plane where they take it down. I thought it was much easier also to have only the diaper back with me. Having a diaper bag and a purse could be a bit too much. I've done it and I just pack my purse in the luggage and put my wallet  what i'm going to really need in the diaper bag. It shouldn't be bad with your son only and he's 1 so much better than a 3 year old trying to run all over the place lol. Good luck and it shouldn't be that bad. Oh and as far as paying goes..you should call the airlines and check becaus not all of them are the same. Some charge more, some charge less and some don't charge at all like south west ( i love them)

lindsay122001
by Member on Aug. 30, 2012 at 9:52 AM
My 9 month old had flown with me 5/6 times. We have another flight coming up the 15th of sep. i pay extra for the extra seat. Shes to active to sit on my lap the whole time gets pretty mad about it. I was that patent with the screaming kiddo.lol I always buy new never seen before toys and plenty of snacks. I check the stroller right before we get on the plane. My familymembers all have carseats so I don't have to bring mine along. It's one less thing to carry. I have enough to tool around the airport without adding something else. I also fly early morning so most of the time she sleeps in her seat.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)