Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Flying with little people.

Posted by   + Show Post

Who has flown with their kiddos before? Whats the easiest way to do so? I'm trying to visit home with my little dude to show him off in his new and improved state :) He's 1, sitting with me rather than his own seat- DH will be away at training so it's just me and my son. I need to take at LEAST the carseat (it's a convertible, not infant carrier), stroller, and the essentials for the day. I'm planning to just bring the minimum of food/diapers for the flight and buy more when we land. But I'm trying to see what is checked for free, what I pay for, and what is done plane-side. Not sure if I have enough hands or patience to bring the pack-n-play or not, I have no idea what my family has available so I'm hoping I don't need it! 

by on Aug. 30, 2012 at 1:24 AM
Replies (21-24):
kelinda
by on Sep. 1, 2012 at 11:57 AM

BUMP!

jsr87
by on Sep. 1, 2012 at 9:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I have no tips to add, sorry. But your title made me think of a new idea for a TLC reality show in which "little people" ("midgets") pursue their aviation dreams.

GodsAmiga
by Member on Sep. 3, 2012 at 4:01 AM

We flew to Japan from Seattle when the kids were 1 and 3. They had their own seats so we brought their carseats onto the plane which helped a lot. They didn't feel like they could just hop down and run around. I brought snacks (anything that is prepackaged or bought after the security gates was allowed on the plane), toys, books, pull-ups, wipes, and I brought extra clothes just in case for some crazy reason the bags we checked were lost. Plus in case of accidents and stuff. We were moving here and in the middle of winter so we packed an entire suitcase with toys and two for clothes and one with winter gear. When I flew to San Antonio for my husband's BMT graduation the girls were 1 and just barely 3. I brought the same type of stuff on the plane in the carry-ons and in the checked luggage I just packed clothes, shoes, and toiletries, etc. The kids slept in the bed with me. :-) I didn't bring a stroller either of those times but I know you can bring it straight up to the gate with you and they'll take it as you board and then will have it ready for you when you're getting off the plane. :-)

GodsAmiga
by Member on Sep. 3, 2012 at 4:04 AM

Oh, and we flew Southwest when we went to Texas and you get...I think it was 2 checked bags per person for free (and if I remember correctly that included the kids even though they sat in mine and my mom's laps that time) plus 2 free carry-on bags. Carseats could take the place of checked bags which was nice since I checked both carseats that time. :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)