Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

How to adjust to the military life

Posted by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 8:00 PM
  • 25 Replies

Poll

Question: How is it adjusting to the military life ?

Options:

Hard

Easy

OK

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 47

View Results

I would just like to know about some easy ways to adjust to the military life, and what i can do to in the mean time while my husband is gone? What types of activities are there around bases for new military families? What are some ideas about getting the kids adjusted because we are very close with our fammily and our two year old loves my grandparents, so how can I get her use to not seeing them as often?

Thank you

by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 8:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cocoroo
by Coco on Sep. 6, 2012 at 8:38 PM
It was an easy transition for my family. We moved 700 miles from family 5 months before my dh enlisted. We were fine on our own during BCT and AIT. I never did anything for 'new spouses'. I just met friends and did my own thing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ambermarie2006
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 8:54 PM
Its easy for us. We don't center out lives around the military though, most of my friends are not military wives actually. My kids are in sports and activities and I met people that way. Deployments have always been the toughest part because of the kids, but its getting easier.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jas_momof2
by アニメの雌犬 on Sep. 6, 2012 at 9:51 PM
6 moms liked this

It took a while to adjust, it's all in your attitude.  You can choose to sit on your butt and be all whiney and depressed about the moves, the pay, the deployments - or - you can choose to slap that smile on your face and live your life.  You live your life together when he is home and you live your life when he is not.  It doesn't stop because he's not there.

Don't forget that you are an individual and you'll be fine.

jkohler
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 10:10 PM

It was somewhat difficult for us.  My husband and I had been married for 4 years and had a 2 1/2 year old and an 11 month old when he left for basic.  We had an established life with our families and then moved away from everything that we knew.  My kids loved (well, still love) their grandparents.  We video chat and talk on the phone often.  My dad always says that he raised independent kids and moving away from family is apart of life.  We attend playgroup on base every Thursday and I have made some friends from that.  My husband and I are not ones to sit around.  We have tried to make the best of where we are.  

Aqua_Jen
by Gold Member on Sep. 7, 2012 at 7:41 AM
Its all I've known of our marriage since he was in when we met. It hasn't been too bad though. Activities depend on where you live and what you're interested in. It really is true that this life is what YOU make of it. So have a good attitude and it will all be ok.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Balancing
by on Sep. 7, 2012 at 8:54 AM
Get involved in your base spouse group. Get involved with your husband's squadron events. Remember that there are always people you won't like so don't let one bad apple ruin the bunch.

With kids, living on base offers greater access to neighbors with kids. Host a party in your front yard. Play with your kids in the front yard to meet others as they walk by. Walk your kids to/from school, volunteer for field trips to meet other parents and your kids' friends. Have them attend bday parties and stay at them to meet other parents.

dtristan78
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2012 at 9:13 AM
It was hard for me at first. Im dealing with being a severe control freak, whew that's a real adjustment!!
Other than that, it's ok. We live 2.5 hours from 'home' and get to visit regularly. Most of my friends havenmoved so I'm in the process of making more, which is hard for me too! Like someone said, it is what you make of it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
barrelracer1699
by Chel on Sep. 7, 2012 at 9:32 AM

It is different for everyone! No ones situation is gonna be exactly like yours! It wasn't that hard for us. My son was almost 3 and very close with his grandma when we moved. I just kept busy and we would talk to grandma and she even sent a pic to him of her to keep on the fridge so he wouldn't forget what she looked like, that was all her doing and idea. I have been here for 4 yrs now and her and him are still as close as they used to be!

DevilInPigtails
by on Sep. 7, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Set up regular Skype dates for him and the grandparents and anyone else, there are games on facebook that they can play together, that is what my DH does.  Do your best to keep those relationships strong  from the distance they will be a great suport when he is gone.  Activities depend on the base really.  The Y has a lot of great programs for military and non military.  Kids rebound as fast as you allow them.  If you aren't doing well then they won't be doing well.  So take care of you and the kids will be fine.  Just don't stay home all the time, get out and enjoy what you can find.

PurplePeach72
by on Sep. 8, 2012 at 5:06 PM

We got married April 6th.  He went to Italy and then Afghanistan while we stayed here until he gets back from Afghanistan.  Other than dealing with him being deployed the transition hasn't been hard for us yet but we aren't really involved yet.  We live over an hour from the nearest base.   Right now we still have all of my large family, my friends and our friends we made in the 2 years he was here.  I'm worried about the move to Italy and the adjustments afterwards.  The 3 of us haven't lived together yet and that on top of a move to a foreign country, living off base there and him coming back from deployment is scary.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN