Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Combat jobs vs. non-combat jobs

Posted by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 2:04 AM
  • 17 Replies

Are people who choose combat jobs gone alot more than people who dont? and which one would be better for someone with a family ? what exactly do you do if you choose to go the combat route? and what do yu do if the u.s isnt at war and you have a combat job?

by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 2:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cocoroo
by Coco on Sep. 10, 2012 at 2:30 AM
My dh has a non-combat MOS (supply), but is in a light infantry unit. He deploys as much as the people in his unit with combat MOS. It really depends on the unit they are in more than the MOS. I'm not sure what the other MOS do when they aren't deployed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Elle.tea.22
by Bronze Member on Sep. 10, 2012 at 3:01 AM
From what I've seen, combat mos even when at home get their ass handed to them all the time. I was at fort sill for a while and 3 different units were always on lock down, there was always drama, they were always in this training or that... I mean yay of you like it but when I'm home I need to be some level of home.
~*~*~ Because food will never taste as good as skinny feels~*~*~
~*~*~One bad meal can't make you fat. Nor can one healthy meal make you skinny~*~*~
JerJas2
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 3:51 AM
My DH and myself(when I was in the Army) both have combat jobs. We we're both signal so we hooked up satellites, radios and phone lines during deployments. When we're stateside we still do our job its just more like practice. My husband is still in the Army and currently stateside so he does a lot of fixing the equipment to make sure it is always ready. As far as which MOS is better, IMO neither really. Most units have a variety if combat and non combat MOS's so if the unit deploys it doesn't matter, they all go. So really its more about the unit not MOS.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SierraLynn
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 8:00 AM
It doesn't matter when it comes to being deployed. Every mos deploys.
My dh is combat, a Cavalry Scout. He couldnt imagine changing his job. He loves it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
4ever-SJ
by Gold Member on Sep. 10, 2012 at 8:01 AM
My dh is in a combat mos/unit. He is never home. Even when not deployed to a war zone, he is tdy or in school training.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SierraLynn
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 8:04 AM
Combat usually trains while in garrison. Spend a lot of time in the field/ranges, hip pocket training and maintaining their equipment. There *can* be quite a bit of downtime as well depending on the command, and each troop/company command and 1sgt.

Quoting cocoroo:

My dh has a non-combat MOS (supply), but is in a light infantry unit. He deploys as much as the people in his unit with combat MOS. It really depends on the unit they are in more than the MOS. I'm not sure what the other MOS do when they aren't deployed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JerseyAirGurl
by Ada on Sep. 10, 2012 at 8:36 AM
My husband is Motot T... So deployed he is always on convoys. While stateside he is doing logistics and supply. They were busy doing runs for the base or training at his last unit. This unit he is in now he is doing supply stuff, TDY, driving around generals, among other responsibilities. Every unit functions a differently even within the same career field.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
armyslpbaby
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 10:22 AM
My hubby is infantry and when not deployed he was always away for 1-3 month trainings (IOBC, ranger, mech leaders, warfighter etc..) or in the field.. its frustrating
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JulesFairy
by Member on Sep. 10, 2012 at 11:52 AM
My husbands a rigger. And although he is supply i agree its more about the unit than the mos. I will say when we are stateside, because his job is something that can be done stateside he honestly works more. Yes technically he is here and does make it home to sleep at night and for that i am thankful, but he works less when he is deployed. I have seen it go both ways. Sometimes combat jobs deploy more but when they are home they are home and do the 9 - 5 thing and are free on weekends. And then i have seen combat jobs that are always training so they may as well be deployed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JerJas2
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 12:18 PM
I already replied but everything these moms are saying is so true. Its all about the unit. When my DH was with 1st CAV at Hood he was either deployed or getting ready to deploy. There was always a field op, training exercise or something that kept him away. That's what comes along with a highly deployed unit. He was deployed 3 times in 5 years. His unit here in Alaska doesn't deploy as much so he mostly has an office job and soldiers below him to take care of. He does a lot of maintaining equipment and supply type stuff. He is extremely bored because of the change of pace but I am so grateful.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN