Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

wow, decision by thursday!!

Posted by   + Show Post

so my huby has to decide by thursday if he is going to reinlist or not. If he does we will go to ft. riley, if he doesnt we will go to MO for him to train to be a police officer. no matter what im 100% behind his decision but he wants me to make it for him!!! he hate being in the army and wants out, but we are so in debt and backed up on so many bills hes considering staying in. On the other hand he really wants to go to MO and be a cop. he wouldnt make as much money but he would be happier, hes been doing this for about ten years and i dont htnk he can take much more of it here. i think if we were to be stationed anywhere but ft. bliss he might be happier. but i dont want to take the chance at him being miserable anymore. i love my husband and will do anything for him but i refuse to make this decision for him. not sure what to tell him tonight......sorry more of a vent

by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 3:50 PM
Replies (21-29):
sailorwifenmom
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 4:19 PM
Wow! I'm assuming you are factoring in what would be spent if we did pay for health care and a crap load of Bah! Because I know what we get and even when we were in Japan and racking in a crapload of cola, an E7 at 12 would be hard pressed to have those figures!

Not saying that he isn't, because I don't know what his special pays are or what your housing or cola numbers look like, and I'm all for staying in if that's what you want, but wow - 70 grand is pretty high!

Quoting loving2live:

We just reenlisted because the promotion oppertunities are way better than police pay, plus it covers healthcare. Plus after talking with friends, he realized that cops deal with even worse hours and stupidity than he is now.

An E-7 at our post with 12 years service makes almost $70k (before Federal taxes). Plus dental, medical, and free activities on base... Most policemen aren't going to see that in the same time frame.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
loving2live
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 7:10 PM
Oh but they do!
I guess I should have been clearer: I'm not referring his job on base, but the BAH at our base - $1710. Add in $340ish BAS (the same for enlisted) and $3811 for Basic E7 Pay at 12 yrs -- and it's over $70k before taxes.

I wasn't trying to get into the figures, just point out the potential if her DH stays military versus going to the academy. When you add everything up, it's not a bad career at all.

Quoting jas_momof2:

No e-7 with 12 years makes that...  Pay isn't related to the job (with some exceptions)...  A supply guy makes the same as a mechanic, the same as an office clerk screwing your pay up... 

Quoting loving2live:

We just reenlisted because the promotion oppertunities are way better than police pay, plus it covers healthcare. Plus after talking with friends, he realized that cops deal with even worse hours and stupidity than he is now.

An E-7 at our post with 12 years service makes almost $70k (before Federal taxes). Plus dental, medical, and free activities on base... Most policemen aren't going to see that in the same time frame.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cocoroo
by Coco on Sep. 26, 2012 at 7:11 PM
I'm guessing she is including BAS, BAH and all that. My dh is an E6 with less than 12 years TIS and he makes almost that much when you include his base pay, BAH, BAS, jump pay and pro-pay.

Quoting jas_momof2:

No e-7 with 12 years makes that...  Pay isn't related to the job (with some exceptions)...  A supply guy makes the same as a mechanic, the same as an office clerk screwing your pay up... 

Quoting loving2live:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
loving2live
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 7:18 PM
Yes, see above reply -- here in Washington State there is ridiculously high BAH, but no COLA.

I just read an Army Times article that they are increasing each time in rank before promotions though, so it may be more difficult to move up...

I'm not really trying to sway the OP one way or another, just share the facts that made us choose to reenlist.

Quoting sailorwifenmom:

Wow! I'm assuming you are factoring in what would be spent if we did pay for health care and a crap load of Bah! Because I know what we get and even when we were in Japan and racking in a crapload of cola, an E7 at 12 would be hard pressed to have those figures!

Not saying that he isn't, because I don't know what his special pays are or what your housing or cola numbers look like, and I'm all for staying in if that's what you want, but wow - 70 grand is pretty high!

Quoting loving2live:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cocoroo
by Coco on Sep. 26, 2012 at 7:22 PM
My dh told me about that article. Do you know when they are supposed to raise the TIS requirements? My dh should get his first look for E7 this coming year. We are in Wa state also, so your figures look right to me.

Quoting loving2live:

Yes, see above reply -- here in Washington State there is ridiculously high BAH, but no COLA.

I just read an Army Times article that they are increasing each time in rank before promotions though, so it may be more difficult to move up...

I'm not really trying to sway the OP one way or another, just share the facts that made us choose to reenlist.

Quoting sailorwifenmom:

Quoting loving2live:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sailorwifenmom
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 9:03 PM
1 mom liked this
I wasn't saying that staying in was a bad thing, just was a bit thrown off by the figures. We were in WA duty station before last (Everett) so I know the Bah there is high, it just threw me, because my dh is an 8 with 22 yrs, and last yr, when we did our dd's fafsa stuff for college (where you have to list everything, including allowances and stuff, but they don't factor the free health care) including the 21,000 a yr we got in cola, we only had 78,000. (Mind you, we were in housing, so we didn't get oha, and we don't have to factor non monetary benefits like insurance and stuff...)

That's why I was asking - not to be rude about it, it just surprised me, then I figured it probably included the health stuff and everything (which is a big factor to consider).

Quoting loving2live:

Quoting sailorwifenmom:

Quoting loving2live:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sailorwifenmom
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 9:16 PM
Again - just wants to say my comment wasn't trying to bash or say you were wrong (rereading my last post, not hearing tone it could be taken bad I think, but I can't edit very well on mobile).

I was just saying our figures (lol - I don't mind because they are the same for everyone in that situation - how much we saved and what we did with it is personal though) to show why it surprised me at first when I read that, and why I asked, to see what was being taken into account.

I agree - the military can be a good thing!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cocoroo
by Coco on Sep. 26, 2012 at 10:13 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't think you sounded bad in the other replies. The other posters figures are very close to my dh's pay with no extra deployment money. I figured it out earlier and we are below the $70K, but not by a ton. Granted my dh gets extra money every month, but anyonr in this area that is an E6 with 10 years like my dh would get over $60K/year if they were getting BAH with dependents. This isn't factoring and healthcare into it.

Quoting sailorwifenmom:

Again - just wants to say my comment wasn't trying to bash or say you were wrong (rereading my last post, not hearing tone it could be taken bad I think, but I can't edit very well on mobile).

I was just saying our figures (lol - I don't mind because they are the same for everyone in that situation - how much we saved and what we did with it is personal though) to show why it surprised me at first when I read that, and why I asked, to see what was being taken into account.

I agree - the military can be a good thing!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
daijobu
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:25 PM

What did you guys decide to do?

(1st time reading this post)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)