Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

Tiger Cruise

Posted by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 10:07 PM
  • 16 Replies
Has anyones child done a Navy Tiger Cruise? DS wants to do one after the next deployment with DH but I am a bit apprehensive about it. Any insight?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 10:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
supermommie1
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 10:22 PM

how old?

eh, the only thing i would say was bad about letting your son go on the tiger cruise is the fact that he cant get off, and there are strict rules!

also, sometimes to get to and from places he has to be able to go up and down the scuttles.

ambermarie2006
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 10:29 PM
He would be 8 almost 9. He's pretty good at climbing up and down ladders on ship already.

Quoting supermommie1:

how old?

eh, the only thing i would say was bad about letting your son go on the tiger cruise is the fact that he cant get off, and there are strict rules!

also, sometimes to get to and from places he has to be able to go up and down the scuttles.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sailorwifenmom
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 10:55 PM
My kids did it and loved it. They were middle school aged at the time, though they had done family cruises at younger ages, the Tiger cruises then didn't work out (cancelled because of 9/11).

They went from HI to San Diego, then my fil picked them up and drove them up to WA where they were home in time to greet the ship for homecoming :-)

I would double check on the ages, some say 8, some say 10...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HistoryNutty
by Member on Sep. 25, 2012 at 11:54 PM
My twin did one with our brother. I wanted to go, but it was on a sub, and I have the wrong parts to go on one. My twin was already 25 when he went though. He had fun and spent crazy amounts of money at the gift shop.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KWnavywife
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Mine were way too young last time my husband deployed but his dad went on one. It would definitely be a very memorable experience for him.

DvlDogWfe
by Stella on Sep. 26, 2012 at 10:07 AM

I'd never heard of a tiger cruise? Sounds fun...is this only for navy families?

sailorwifenmom
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 11:08 AM
Sort of - you actually don't have to be a family member, friends can go, too. The only ones who are flat out not allowed are significant others of a crew member (as I've heard it put, they don't want to turn it into "the love boat"...) If you're female, there has to be women Sailors onboard and if your particular Sailor is a male, one of the women have to "cosponsor" you. (Which is no big deal, one of the ladies in my dh's shop did it for our dd when she went - all it meant was she was who showed her where her rack in the female berthing was going to be, that sort of thing...)

But basically your Sailor puts you in for it, you fill out the paperwork, and if you're approved, you pay your money (the trip is free, but you pay for your food and stuff, so it's no expense to the Navy) and you fly over to whatever port they're picking the Tigers up at, and you sail home with them. When my kids did it, it was the 2 of them and my bil.

Lol - it's the ultimate "take your kid to work" day!

Because of my rate, I didn't go on a ship when I was in, and as a spouse, I can't go, but I've been joking with my ds that now that he's a Sailor, too, I want to be at the top of his Tiger Cruise list! :-)

Quoting DvlDogWfe:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sailorwifenmom
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 11:10 AM
Oh - lol, and of course the co sponsor thing works the other way too - if your Sailor is female and you're a guy, then she has to find a male cosponsor for you....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MichelleMc
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 1:10 PM

We had Tiger Cruises, Never heard of Femalesbeing involved? We had other cruises for that but tiger cruises were male only, maybe because we were subs & not ships. When my son got old enough, they had just the year before increased the age, he never was old enough when hubby was on the boat. I would have let him in a heartbeat. He was basically potty trained on a sub. He led us thru one most of the time & knew how to use the head like a pro at 2 LOL. Pre 9/11 days, we lived at the pier & the boat.

We had other cruises, they were for family & they would go out, sink & come back, they would involve any one. Rarely anyone under chief could get a person in though, unless you were a dig-it. Sad. 

DvlDogWfe
by Stella on Sep. 26, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Okay, so being we are a Marine family, could my son go with my DH at any time? Or would my DH have to have been deployed on that particular ship? I guess I'm asking if it's only for navy families and their friends.

Quoting sailorwifenmom:

Sort of - you actually don't have to be a family member, friends can go, too. The only ones who are flat out not allowed are significant others of a crew member (as I've heard it put, they don't want to turn it into "the love boat"...) If you're female, there has to be women Sailors onboard and if your particular Sailor is a male, one of the women have to "cosponsor" you. (Which is no big deal, one of the ladies in my dh's shop did it for our dd when she went - all it meant was she was who showed her where her rack in the female berthing was going to be, that sort of thing...)

But basically your Sailor puts you in for it, you fill out the paperwork, and if you're approved, you pay your money (the trip is free, but you pay for your food and stuff, so it's no expense to the Navy) and you fly over to whatever port they're picking the Tigers up at, and you sail home with them. When my kids did it, it was the 2 of them and my bil.

Lol - it's the ultimate "take your kid to work" day!

Because of my rate, I didn't go on a ship when I was in, and as a spouse, I can't go, but I've been joking with my ds that now that he's a Sailor, too, I want to be at the top of his Tiger Cruise list! :-)

Quoting DvlDogWfe:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)