Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

The commissary and pay day No groceries in our house today

Posted by   + Show Post

Sent DH to the commissary today with a nice size list.  He just called and said there wasn't a parking space to be had. Not sure what we were thinking sending him today. Guess we'll push through until next Tuesday.

by on Sep. 28, 2012 at 11:06 AM
Replies (11-20):
cocoroo
by Coco on Sep. 28, 2012 at 11:30 AM
Not really. Waiting for 3 days with no food isn't worth saving $10 to me. Plus, store sales and Walmart cancel out the savings especially in a state with no sales tax on food and the commissary charges the surcharge.

Quoting carolina_gal:

Nah. With the savings at the commissary it's worth the wait for us.

Quoting cocoroo:

You do realize there are other places to go grocery shopping, right?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
saqmdb
by on Sep. 28, 2012 at 11:31 AM

I was going to go to the commissary also until I realized that we got paid and I know how crowded and busy the commissary will be here all weekend.  I always try to go a few days before payday or a few days after, so I'm not stuck in the crowd.  I really try to stay away from the base competely on payday so I don't have to deal with all the people, lol. 

Aqua_Jen
by Gold Member on Sep. 28, 2012 at 11:38 AM
We don't usually go to the commissary unless we need something fast. It's close but they don't carry a lot of the things we buy and I don't usually save money there versus another store.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
carolina_gal
by Silver Member on Sep. 28, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Well, honestly we could probably live without goin to the groceries for three weeks!  We mostly just needed a lot of basics. Cereal, tomatoes, etc.  I can just plan our meals around what we have. No biggie.

Quoting cocoroo:

Not really. Waiting for 3 days with no food isn't worth saving $10 to me. Plus, store sales and Walmart cancel out the savings especially in a state with no sales tax on food and the commissary charges the surcharge.

Quoting carolina_gal:

Quoting cocoroo:

carolina_gal
by Silver Member on Sep. 28, 2012 at 11:41 AM

And thanks for your concern but really my family won't starve.

Quoting cocoroo:

Quoting carolina_gal:

Quoting cocoroo:

chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Sep. 28, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Yep. Payday is a terrible day to shop.

chrlstoncharmed
by Melissa on Sep. 28, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Yes. USAA pays a day early.

Quoting mom2ljh:

You got paid today?

beerebelly
by on Sep. 28, 2012 at 11:52 AM
1 mom liked this

I think the commissary savings probably vary in each area. When we were in NC, the commissary was waay cheaper then shopping at foodlion, especially meat. Here in AZ? It is waaay cheaper shopping at Frys or Albertson.

Pugsmuggler
by on Sep. 28, 2012 at 11:53 AM
1 mom liked this
It's payday and a case lot sale here. I would rather eat the lawn clipping than go within a mile of the commissary.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cocoroo
by Coco on Sep. 28, 2012 at 11:53 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't like your snotty tone. And, I'm not concerned. You are the one that said you had 'no groceries in our house today.' Step off.

Quoting carolina_gal:

And thanks for your concern but really my family won't starve.

Quoting cocoroo:

Quoting carolina_gal:

Quoting cocoroo:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)