Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military Families Military Families

The commissary and pay day No groceries in our house today

Posted by   + Show Post

Sent DH to the commissary today with a nice size list.  He just called and said there wasn't a parking space to be had. Not sure what we were thinking sending him today. Guess we'll push through until next Tuesday.

by on Sep. 28, 2012 at 11:06 AM
Replies (41-50):
adrianna1043
by Adrianna on Sep. 28, 2012 at 3:15 PM
Yeah, I coulda done just fine not knowing that!

Quoting cocoroo:

Some ancient Eastern medicine encourages you to drink your first morning urine. I saw it on Nat Geo.

Quoting m.smitty.xo:

Well it is sterile until it hits an unclean surface....

Quoting 4ever-SJ:

I would drink my own piss before going to the commissary on payday.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TippyD
by Gold Member on Sep. 28, 2012 at 3:54 PM

we shop at winn dixie.. the fuel perks are AWESOME:) plus we price compared.. and if we get stuff on sale it is cheaper at WD:)   you just have to time sales, our commy has nasty produce.. soo between all that we save more by shopping at a "more expensive" store:)  we dont throw out as muvh in in produce cause it is better quality, there are more *healthier!* options as well as the fuel perks and savings with the BOGO *shrugs shoulders*   gotta do waht works for you though:) 

Quoting jas_momof2:

Not really...  If you coupon and watch local sales, you can actually do the same if not a bit better than the commissary.  just takes a bit of digging...

TippyD
by Gold Member on Sep. 28, 2012 at 3:56 PM
1 mom liked this

totally made me giggle.. I just had a friend most a MEME about this...

creative sooo much harder to write than cre8ive ;)

Quoting heresjohnny:

I get it OP. I say we don't have any food all the time. It doesn't mean our cupboards are literally bare or that we're starving, it just means I need to get cre8ive in the kitchen and the family may or may not like the concoction I come up with, lol. Funny thing is, some of my kids favorite dishes were the result of throwing a bunch of stuff together and calling it dinner because we had nothing else. And being low on groceries doesn't mean you're poor or have money problems. There were lots of times we had money in the bank and no groceries.........because I absolutely despise grocery shopping :P

TippyD
by Gold Member on Sep. 28, 2012 at 3:57 PM

rofl...

Quoting Pugsmuggler:

It's payday and a case lot sale here. I would rather eat the lawn clipping than go within a mile of the commissary.

cocoroo
by Coco on Sep. 28, 2012 at 7:13 PM
Useless knowledge is good. I'm full of it.

Quoting adrianna1043:

Yeah, I coulda done just fine not knowing that!

Quoting cocoroo:

Some ancient Eastern medicine encourages you to drink your first morning urine. I saw it on Nat Geo.

Quoting m.smitty.xo:

Well it is sterile until it hits an unclean surface....

Quoting 4ever-SJ:

I would drink my own piss before going to the commissary on payday.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jsr87
by on Sep. 30, 2012 at 1:07 AM

Plus, there's the Target Red Card which does 5% off. You can combine it with their pharmacy rewards and get an additional 5% off every 5 prescriptions you fill for a total of 10% off.

Sorry, I am from the Midwest and we really like Target here.

Quoting violinjewel:

Exactly. Target does a double coupon thing if you have their coupon, and a manufacturer one. Plus, they always have a lot of things on clearance and sales. That combined with coupons, we've gotten a lot of good deals.

Quoting jas_momof2:

Not really...  If you coupon and watch local sales, you can actually do the same if not a bit better than the commissary.  just takes a bit of digging...

MrsSexyCurtains
by Bronze Member on Sep. 30, 2012 at 2:12 AM
We like publix for their BOGO sales. For us Winn Dixie was mad expensive so we tried not to go there unless they had something we needed on sale. Right now back home in Texas a local grocery store is having a gas special. You buy their gas card and get .12 off at the pump! It's awesome :)

Quoting TippyD:

we shop at winn dixie.. the fuel perks are AWESOME:) plus we price compared.. and if we get stuff on sale it is cheaper at WD:)   you just have to time sales, our commy has nasty produce.. soo between all that we save more by shopping at a "more expensive" store:)  we dont throw out as muvh in in produce cause it is better quality, there are more *healthier!* options as well as the fuel perks and savings with the BOGO *shrugs shoulders*   gotta do waht works for you though:) 

Quoting jas_momof2:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LADY_V088
by Bronze Member on Sep. 30, 2012 at 6:00 AM
I have never shopped on base, but we are far away so yea lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2jessnky
by Dedi on Sep. 30, 2012 at 8:57 AM

I go to the Commissary on payday, and during the other 2 days that everyone says to avoid because it's SO terrible (the base in general).

To be fair it probably WAS terrible on those days at some point, but now the story has spread and no one goes on payday so it's really the best day to go.  Especially if it's on a Thursday or Friday.

I also go opening morning of the case lot sale, not many people go because of the horror stories.

I've only gone to the commissary once on a payday and had it be bad, I drove through the parking lot, saw no carts outside, went to Walmart instead (and I was at that base anyway for something else so it wasn't a wasted trip). It had been a long pay period, we got paid on Monday, which Comm is closed, so EVERYONE was there that Tuesday.

The commissary in San Diego (Miramar) when I was there (and to be fair this was 8 yrs ago) was ALWAYS asshole to armpit packed, never mattered when you went, everyone and their damn dog was there. the line went from the registers, through frozen foods, past meats, and clean into produce (I assume all Commissaries are set up similarly? the one at Miramar and the one here are set up identically) You'd be dodging around people in line just to get food, and then have to find the end of the line to get in which always took 45 minutes+. I HATE that commissary. The one here though, even if it's busy, it's never that bad. Even during a case lot sale, the line doesn't get that long.

Guess it depends on where you live and how populated the area is/ how big the base is. There's something to be said for living in the sticks.

edelweiss23
by on Sep. 30, 2012 at 8:59 AM
I found that the only thing I saved by going to the commissary,was on diapers.
With coupons and deal hunting, I get everything else cheeper elsewhere.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)